PDA

View Full Version : What will ofsted say about no gloves for nappies?

mumx3
14-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I have just signed contracts for a 7 month old.

Mum has specifically requested that I DO NOT wear gloves for changing her babies nappy. She feels it is too clinical and not "real life".

I have said that is fine...I will wash hands before and after nappy change instead, but that if Ofsted tell me I have to wear them at an inspection then we will have to talk again.

I am quite comfortable with this but not sure what Ofsted will say about it.

Any ideas?

huggableshelly
14-06-2009, 01:24 PM
gloves are advisable but not an absolute requirement so providing you show good hygiene standards then its not an issue.

Personally if a parent asked me not to wear gloves I would as why and explain the gloves are protecting both child and me and help to reduce possible illnesses being shared.

I'm too used to always wearing gloves in nursery though i didnt for my own children, but always have done as a cm.

Mollymop
14-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I am sure it will be fine. As long as you wash your hands before and after.
When it comes to your inspection you might not even have this child on that day, or even if you do she/he might not need changing when ofsted are there.

Maybe you could get a letter from mum to state she doesn't want her child changed while using gloves, hopefully this will be enough for ofsted.

Keep some antibac gel with you to clean your hands straight after you have changed the nappy.

I know all people are different and have their reasons but I really can't understand why a parent would be so concerned about you wearing gloves, even if it does look too clinical?

singlewiththree
14-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I personally wouldn't be without my gloves as the smell of the poo is bad enough, ok with just wee but the other YUK!

I would get the parent to sign to say no gloves and just make sure you wash your hands.

Alibali
14-06-2009, 03:09 PM
My personal view is that as part of my infection control policy wearing gloves for nappy changes is included, that is part of how I run my business, and it reducing the risk of infection not just for her child, but for you, your family and other minded children, so I would be telling the parent that much as I am all for partnership with parents etc, infection control is not something I am willing to be flexible on.

mrs c
14-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Personally, I don't use gloves for wet nappies but do for poos, nothing worse than a runny nappy. If you are happy with mum's request then I would think of doing a nappy changing policy and state that you use gloves, then at the bottom of your policy add wording to the effect of "should you have any concerns about this policy, please discuss them with me" and get a note from mum. That way you are showing how you normally operate re nappies.

sunflower
14-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Nappy changing policy

do we need one of these ? :eek: :eek:

manjay
14-06-2009, 03:31 PM
My personal view is that as part of my infection control policy wearing gloves for nappy changes is included, that is part of how I run my business, and it reducing the risk of infection not just for her child, but for you, your family and other minded children, so I would be telling the parent that much as I am all for partnership with parents etc, infection control is not something I am willing to be flexible on.

Ditto:thumbsup:

Spangles
14-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I couldn't agree to that. I use gloves for poos but not wet nappies and wouldn't dream of not using them.

As you're happy to do that though why don't you give Ofsted a ring and see what their stance on the subject, then if you need to discuss it again with the mum you can. Make a note of your call as well.

It's not worth leaving it until your inspection to find out because that could be the one thing stopping you from getting a higher grade depending on Ofsted's opinion iyswim!

Mollymop
14-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Nappy changing policy

do we need one of these ? :eek: :eek:

Well I have a nappy changing risk assessment!:rolleyes:

mumx3
14-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the input, I think I will do some more thinking on this. I will also give Ofsted a call for some advice.

Mouse
14-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't use gloves for nappy changes as I don't like them. It says as much in my nappy changing policy.

The Ofsted inspector read my policy, saw me changing a dirty nappy, but didn't even comment on it

ORKSIE
14-06-2009, 09:47 PM
I do use gloves for poo, not for wee:D
I would get a letter if a parent objected.
Because as we all know it depends "Which Mrs OFSTED you get on the day":)

sweets
14-06-2009, 10:06 PM
i don't use gloves, never have! i agree that it is a bit clinical, but then again i think people have to do what they feel comfortable with, personaly a bit of baby poo doesn't bother me!:laughing:

I do wash my hands after though:D

Angela234
14-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I also only use gloves for poo nappies then i only use 1 glove on hand i clean baby with and as soon as i have cleaned baby i take the glove off to put on clean nappy and dress them

ORKSIE
14-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I also only use gloves for poo nappies then i only use 1 glove on hand i clean baby with and as soon as i have cleaned baby i take the glove off to put on clean nappy and dress them
Me too, or its a waste of a glove:) IYSWIM:)

MissTinkerbell
15-06-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't wear gloves because first time I did my mindee freaked out!!! I had to changer her nappy whilst Ofsted were here and I explained why I didn't wear gloves. She said that was fine as long as I was sensible and used good hygiene practices - washing mny hands before and after.

wendywu
15-06-2009, 10:49 AM
To be honest when you have an inspection use gloves. Tell the mum that it will be this one time only and you are not willing to get a lower grade because you have a stroppy inspector.:(

The parent should want to support you to get the best grade you can.:rolleyes:

mummysanj
15-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi,

A cm friend of mine was actually picked up on this subject by her inspector. She didn't use gloves as the child was her own daughter but the inspector was adamant she should have !!!!!

Crazy

mummysanj

zippy
15-06-2009, 05:53 PM
I dont wear gloves and still got a good on inspection the other day, inspector did not have a problem at all, as long as you are washing hands its no big deal at all.