PDA

View Full Version : do the children have too many toys?

Blackhorse
13-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Do you think your minded and own children have to many toys?
Do you think it is bad for them to have so much to choose from?
I don't know much about it but read somewhere that if kids have too many toys to choose from they won't ever concentrate on any one thing properly but will jump from one to the next to the next.

I think my dd has quite a lot of things and I have found myself buying loads for childminding already..

I am geniunely interested in your opinions and experiences with this.

Thank you

christinajanep
13-06-2009, 06:39 PM
i rotate my toys, this way when the "new" toys come out they are sooo excited.

haribo
13-06-2009, 06:40 PM
i do find when theres too much out the kids tend to flit from one thing to another whereas if i put one or two things out they get more out of them :thumbsup:

her8y
13-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I rotate my toys too.
I did have a major clear out of my sons toys and guess what. I took some to the charity shop after spending a year in our loft.....I had to replace them a couple of months later as they became the "new toys to have" at school:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Wouldnt mind but I had to trawl the internet as couldnt but them in hte shops:censored:

Princess Sara
13-06-2009, 06:51 PM
I think DS1 had to many toys, there was always issues tidying away and he'd always flick from one toy to another.

Then I organized everything into seperate boxes and he is only aloud one box out at a time, and I try to make sure he doesn't play with the same boxes all the time. (If you hide his favourite ones at the bottom of the pile he forgets about them for a week or so!) It will be the same with midee's toys when I finally get some mindees...

Mindee toys will be in boxes downstairs, and ds1's toys will be upstairs so he doesn't have to share his own unless he wants to.

I think you can have too many toys, say if you are running out of space, or you have more than one of something even if it's slightly different... but if you alternate and have the space then who cares, right?!

Tatjana
13-06-2009, 10:30 PM
The too many toys and not concentrating on any one thing for long are true in our house! The toys that have stood the test of time are mega block bricks and the tea set, they never tire of playing with these, even after years!

xx

huggableshelly
14-06-2009, 05:40 AM
yep mine have too many toys, i spent a fortune yesterday on new toys too but little things ... little things seem to cost more.

I bought new lowercase stampers
alphabet bingo .. no idea why as made my own but still
new till but it was needed as old one is cracked
new yoyo for son just because its ben1o and lights up!
more colouring books again were not really needed

but nothing big, I also had a toy sort out thinking i would get rid of loads but i cater for ages 2 - 11 all with totally different interests so couldnt bring myself to parting with anything!

sarah707
14-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Yes they do!

And if it's anything like in my house they cling onto them long past their sell by date :rolleyes:

mushpea
14-06-2009, 07:47 AM
I think they can have too many toys so i only have a few boxs out and make sure i rotate them at least once a fortnight, used to do it once a week but found this was to quick as the after schoolys dont get so much time with the toys and littlys we tend to go out quite a bit in the week to parks and groups and the zoo.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I think everyone has too much of everything.

The kids have to much - toys, computers, tv's etc and the childminded children use all of this and more.

Myself - I have too many kitchen gadgets that fall out of the cupbaord when you open the door - anyone else like this? I do use them all though :laughing:

Mollymop
14-06-2009, 11:27 AM
My own children have too many toys. My son won't part with any of them, when I want to take them to charity shops or car boot, etc. Even the toys he has out grown or never played with.

My daughter, she has lots of fun things, and has so many toys, even from xmas that she hasn't even played with.

To be honest, I think she would be happy to have just a few things, because she doesn't play with half of what she's got.

Hebs
14-06-2009, 11:43 AM
my kids don't cos i refuse to buy too many :thumbsup:

mark has 3 small tubs full of toys and each december we go through them and bin any broken ones, and ones he no longer plays with either go on ebay or to the charity shops ready for santa bringing his new ones :thumbsup:

melissa is "too old" for toys, so has very little in the way of toys.

:clapping:

Tippy Toes
14-06-2009, 11:49 AM
My 2 have way too many toys! Most of which they never play with! :eek:

georgie456
14-06-2009, 12:06 PM
I think everyone has too much of everything.

The kids have to much - toys, computers, tv's etc and the childminded children use all of this and more.

Myself - I have too many kitchen gadgets that fall out of the cupbaord when you open the door - anyone else like this? I do use them all though :laughing:

Yep that's me too!!!

LOOPYLISA
14-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Yes :rolleyes: :D

singlewiththree
14-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I was thinking about this recently too. I rotate toys but when I do I ebay/carboot/give away at least one type of toy. That way I feel I'm slowly clearing out. I tend to forget that I get given/buy at least 2 more :)

loocyloo
14-06-2009, 01:53 PM
yes i think so!

i have a huge amount of toys for childminding, and sometimes i try to get rid of some, but then i like to have a range of jigsaws from the simplest, step by step up to 100 piece! and i like a variety of baby& toddler toys etc!

ds had his birthday in april, there are still 6 or 7 unopened boxes of 'stuff' - megablocks ( he prefers lego ), dino dig thing, games etc, that he hasn't looked at, and in fact said we could put in the 'present' box! ( but i might sell it ! )

when i'm working, i have a selection of toys out, and they play really well with those, if they chose to have something else out, they have to put away the first toy, and i usually find, that in putting it away, they play with it again!

x

sunflower
14-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes they do :eek: ...its a lot more than my own children had when they were young