PDA

View Full Version : update on unwell child

TRACEY1969
12-06-2009, 05:03 PM
The last time i had him was Tuesday but i was also minding another child who was 3 years. When the parent came to pick the 3 year old up she notice the other child wasn't well and i said yes i am waiting for his mom to come and pick him up. Well today the 3 year old wasn't well and i had to call the parents they said they wasn' t happy because i had the other baby who wasn't well and they think there child had caught something off the baby (swings and roundabouts) and that i shouldn't had taken the baby i should of said no to the parent. Is this my fault i feel partly to blame because i did take the baby, i am having words with parents about sick children they must stay at home. The 3 year olds mom said she will say something to the other parent i said no i will deal with it and said i wouldn't charge her for today just to keep the peace. What can i do and say

sarah707
12-06-2009, 05:09 PM
That's a tough one!

Over the years I have looked after many children who have had their symptoms masked with Calpol so they go rapidly down hill at midday.

others have been dropped off in a rush when they are clearly not well... some parents even turn their phones off!

If a child falls ill when they are with you, then you do the right thing by calling parents and keeping the child away from the others.

But you are not a mind reader and you don't know they are ill until they get the symptoms and by then they are nicely passed on to everyone else anyway.

The parent wants to try it in nursery for a week! :laughing:

wendywu
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I think all parents have to accept that it is swings and roundabouts. Over the course of being at a minders they will all cross infect each other.

But i must admit that i dont tend to send them home with coughs colds and runny noses even if they are green:eek: It has to be the sickness and squits. Or the chicken pox etc.

When they are with you 10 hours per day 5 days a week they are quite happy be be with you when they are unwell.:laughing:

mrs c
12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Parents are being unrealistic. Yes, remind them of your sickness policy but don't feel bad about this. It need not have been while with you that their child picked up their illness.

michellethegooner
12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I think this is a toughie I have had kids here that were ill and masked with calpol or would suddenly get ill whilst here, very tough and I bet at some point the 3 yr old will share some germs with the others.

I certainly wouldnt have credited parents, would they have got a refund in a nursery I think not.

I would probably knock up a newsletter with your sickness policy, stating that it is unfair on the other mindees and you if children are sent ill, I would also explain to parent that the no charge was a good will gesture and a one off.

TRACEY1969
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I think this is a toughie I have had kids here that were ill and masked with calpol or would suddenly get ill whilst here, very tough and I bet at some point the 3 yr old will share some germs with the others.

I certainly wouldnt have credited parents, would they have got a refund in a nursery I think not.

I would probably knock up a newsletter with your sickness policy, stating that it is unfair on the other mindees and you if children are sent ill, I would also explain to parent that the no charge was a good will gesture and a one off.

the reason i credited the parent was because she was likely to say something to the other parent and also i have all her 4 kids in the hols and usually i don't credit due to illness but in this case it was a one off.

Hebs
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
god help this parent when her LO starts school :panic:

they always seem to have a snotty nose and stuff at first :laughing: