PDA

View Full Version : Small house with no garden...

Tippy Toes
12-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi all

I live in a little cottage with a small back yard (big enough for sand and water play only.):blush:

Just wondering if anyone on here has a small house/no garden and how this has affected your carear as a childminder?

Has anyone ever been put off by your home?:panic:

Thanks all x

Jules27
12-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Can't help in answering your questions but if you have open spaces near by you can use for outdoor play don't see it as a problem. x:)

little chickee
12-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I do have a garden but know several cms who have no garden at all as they live in flats and they seem to get on perfectly well - do you have acess to a nearby park for example which you could visit daily. one cm in particular lives in a flat and her books are always full - so it doesn't necessarily cause too many problems

Bananabrain
12-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I think my house is small{terraced} i do have a garden but again it's not huge.

My son keeps hassling for a trampoline but I think it will totally swamp the grass area.

Lots of other minders around here have much bigger houses and sometimes I get a bit jealous if I'm honest:laughing:

I have often thought that having a small house would put people off,but it doesn't seem to have. Alot of parents have said that they have chosen me over other minders because it's clear I have a passion for what I do rather than my luxurious house:blush:

i do tend to limit the amount of children I have though and sometimes that can be a bit of a bugbear because obviously I don't earn as much as some others.

I'm due to have six children in the summer hols.It's just a question of superior organising skills and making sure everything is relatively tidy:laughing: i.e only getting a few things out at any one time.

The only time it's really been a problem is things like Christmas parties.There's not really a great deal of room for games but we manage.

singlewiththree
12-06-2009, 10:09 AM
My friend has a small yard and its not registered at all, she does live near some green space but she is full and no problems with getting children. Me on the other hand has a lovely garden with loads of toys and am desperate for kids!

haribo
12-06-2009, 12:25 PM
i have a very small garden with a astro turfed lawn and a path down the side and i love it !! i used to feel at a disadvantage but ive had no problems getting kids and ofsted said when i said could do with more space they said its what you do with it that counts lol. parents like it too its really secure and safe. i do however have a park at the end of the road , its been a godsend . not everyone with big gardens necessarily use them for the kids to play in i know someone who fences off most of hers from the kids so they dont mess it up. i look at it and think longingly what i could do with it :laughing: :laughing: :laughin

Pipsqueak
12-06-2009, 02:34 PM
My friend lives in old terraced home with a yard - no bigger than a couple of postage stamps.
She is always full!

Quality of whats on offer shines through - ok so you don't have a garden - bet you will be visiting parks and open spaces, go for lots of walks etc etc.

Small house - fine - you will probably have to be selective to get the use out of all the toys and perhaps join a toy library (good idea to anyway if you have one local).

Its all going to be what you make of it and how you 'sell' it to parents -cosy and intimate atmosphere etc.:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I lived in a first floor flat with no garden for the first 10yrs of my Childminding career. Only moved into a large house with a garden five years ago.

In a word - NO - it didn't make the slightest difference to my business, I was always full. I just used to show new parents how and where I went out with the children. I had a small back balcony where I managed to have a sand pit and or a small paddling pool when it was very hot. We also did painting out there and had picnics!

angeldelight
16-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I dont think it matters at all I agree with everyone

Good luck

Angel xx

georgie456
16-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I live in a small 2 bed with a small garden - we only have a lounge and tiny kitchen and so literally only have one room for living, my 2 kids and childminding!!

I get really jealous of some of the other minders local to me with big houses, but have never suffered work-wise for it.

The plus side is when we all get together, my house is too small so we go to theirs and my house stays tidy :D

charleyfarley
16-06-2009, 06:43 PM
It shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to parents.

I only have a small garden as our drive is there too and it has only put one person off, think that was down to me though as I was ill and couldn't be bothered :blush: :D

Carol xx

Tippy Toes
16-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies, they have really given me much more confidence when Im showing parents around my home x :blush:

mrs c
16-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I live in a terraced house with a small back yard enclosed by high walls, making it safe for the children. As far as I am aware, it has never put off a parent.

haribo
17-06-2009, 06:43 AM
i had just one parent say oh hes used to a huge back garden... so i smiled nicely and said well it will help him appreciate it :laughing: