PDA

View Full Version : SAFETY ARTICLE ON CAR SEATS!

Blaze
12-06-2009, 08:01 AM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090612/tuk-rear-facing-seats-safe-until-four-6323e80.html

:)

Curly Quavers
12-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Seen this on the news this morning,

Not sure what my 3 year old will have to say it. :rolleyes:

angeldelight
12-06-2009, 08:18 AM
My 2 and 3 year old grandsons would not stand for that ha ha

Thanks Blaze interesting

Angel xx

ginag
Blimey! :eek: That is going to be a contentious (sp?!) issue.
I didn't know you could buy rear facing seats for older children. I wonder how do they have room for their legs?
The older children themselves are not going to like it! But if it saves lives!
Perhaps there will be more cars adapted to have rear facing seats like the rear seats in a 7 seater Volvo.

Gina xx

christinajanep
i dont see how this could work. my daughter is very fall for a 3 yr old and if i had to put her in a rear facing car seat her legs would be very cramped. That would make longer journeys more of a nightmare than they are already :angry:

Twinkles
12-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I saw this too , like the others have said what the heck do you do with their legs ??

Helen79
12-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I pleased to here this :thumbsup: This is standard in a lot of countries in Europe already & there has been campaigns to highlight this in the uk too.

I think the seats are designed have a lot more leg room so are comfier for older children.
I think it's a good idea & wish more companies would sell the rear facing seats for older children. I think Britax do them.

angeldelight
12-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I saw this too , like the others have said what the heck do you do with their legs ??

I dread to think

:laughing: :laughing:

Helen79
12-06-2009, 08:39 AM
There's a lot more info here
http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/index.php

With pics of how older children manage to fit in.

Helen79
12-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Also stops them kicking the back of your seat while you're trying to drive :clapping: :laughing:

angeldelight
12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Also stops them kicking the back of your seat while you're trying to drive :clapping: :laughing:

Oh yes now that is very annoying when you are in the front

:laughing:

Angel xx

Spangles
12-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I guess it's just what you get used to but I would imagine that it's quite boring facing the back when you're older and also hard for communication.

Having said that, of course safety comes first!

Be interesting to see how this develops, if it does.

huggableshelly
12-06-2009, 09:06 AM
if this comes into force I'll be asking parents to pay for new carseats or will start walking more. I already swap 5 point harness carseats for booster seats on differ school runs throughout the day, rearfacing would be an even bigger nightmare
i've no idea what to do with a child's legs maybe chop them off and reattatch for walking!

AND how can we talk about things we see to include EYFS if the poor child can only see the back seat?

anyway blah lol wait n see ... like others have said

sweets
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm sorry i am all for safety don't get me wrong but comfort is also important, children are not going to see much apart from a seat!
I know car accidents happen but i think it has to be put into prospective!
I won't be buying them!

Hebs
12-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I won't be buying them!

you might have to if the government makes it law :thumbsup:

i'd prefer to have rear facing seats for safety reasons, if only we could buy them here at reasonable prices

Hebs
12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
there is one listed on ebay :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BeSafe-Izi-Combi-Isofix-Rear-Facing-Car-Seat-0-18Kg-NEW_W0QQitemZ270406896171QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bab y_CarSeats_EH?hash=item3ef581ca2b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Spangles
12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow £270!!!!!

carebear25
12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
ive got rear facin car seats an there from Argos... They were £34.99 got 2 an so far no probs with them :)

Peppa
12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
:eek: £270!!!! Thats pretty steep, Obviously i would buy them for safety reasons if was law but £270.

Twinkles
12-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Soooo we'll be spending even more time loading the car ( don't know about anyone else but it already takes me ages ) because we'll be removing shoes and then putting them back on when we get there :panic:

FizzysFriends
12-06-2009, 11:58 AM
ive got rear facin car seats an there from Argos... They were £34.99 got 2 an so far no probs with them :)

That can't rear face for a 3 yr old for example though, because there would be nowhere for their feet.

uf353432
12-06-2009, 12:13 PM
This one is marginally cheaper - but boy oh boy what an investment!

http://www.olivers-baby-care.co.uk/Polaric-Rear-Facing-Toddler-Car-Seat/122pol1418p.asp

Hebs
12-06-2009, 12:37 PM

i had one of those and thought they were poor quality, and find it hard to believe you could get a 3/4 year old in it rear facing :panic:

Hebs
12-06-2009, 12:42 PM
just been looking at the pics of the kids in these seats and boy don't they take up alot of room :panic:

carebear25
12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
That can't rear face for a 3 yr old for example though, because there would be nowhere for their feet.

my 2 r only 19mth an i think id struggle with their legs, i were just showin there r rear facin not that they actually any good.

Daftbat
12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I am all for safety first in all aspects of life but i cannot imagine using rear facing care seats for children over one year.

A lot of money has been ploughed in to the car industry making cars safer than they used to be and the industry test people MIRA are constantly looking at car safety to. I saw a TV programme recently where a car had been involved in a crash on the M1 and miraculously given the state the car was in, no-one had to go to hospital not even the two children, one in a rear facing seat and the other in a forward facing one. This was because the seats were correctly fitted and the child was properly secured.

I think it is fair to take every reasonable precaution when anyone, child or adult is using a car but we have to decide for ourselves when to draw the line. There are dangers all around us and just because we use the latest equipment doesn't mean that the actual road accident we are involved in won't involve an injury of some kind (the last accident someone i know had involved their car being hit in the side by a car coming out of a junction). Recently, the children i take to school could have been involved in an accident on foot when a car went straight through the red light ata pelican crossing we were using!

I will always be forward thinking when it comes to safety, due diligence is what i operate by and unless i am legally required to use these seats then i will carry on as before.

The Juggler
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Blimey! :eek: That is going to be a contentious (sp?!) issue.
I didn't know you could buy rear facing seats for older children. I wonder how do they have room for their legs?
The older children themselves are not going to like it! But if it saves lives!
Perhaps there will be more cars adapted to have rear facing seats like the rear seats in a 7 seater Volvo.

Gina xx

I've never seen a larger size rear facing seat and you can't use the carry type after a year max, their heads poke out the top! I'd like to see one of the seats from sweden.

Blackhorse
12-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I think if it is proven that rear facing seats are truly safter than it will only be a matter of time for it to be the law and then there will be more seats on offer, which will make them more reasonably priced.
And over time people will get used to it...like wearing a seat belt, using booster seats, wearing helmets when cycling...not all too long ago none of this was done....

I think that safety in cars is very important and if it can help to save lifes than that can only be a good thing.

FizzysFriends
12-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I doubt they can make them compulsary yet as all the ones I have seen are fitted with ISOFIX with wasn't compulary on cars until about 2005 (could be wrong on the year but you see the point). They can't suddenly say you can't put your older child in a car if you have an older car.

rickysmiths
12-06-2009, 02:44 PM

Thats interesting. What is the age of the oldest child you use them for?
I must say I would want to investigate and see seats in situ to see where the legs go on older children! I suppose if they are fitted in the car they will be no more difficult to get in and out of we will all have to get used to doing up straps backwards :laughing:

I have four car seats in my car all the time so I would want to know I could do this with rear facing as well.

Playmate
12-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Thats interesting. What is the age of the oldest child you use them for?
I must say I would want to investigate and see seats in situ to see where the legs go on older children! I suppose if they are fitted in the car they will be no more difficult to get in and out of we will all have to get used to doing up straps backwards :laughing:

I have four car seats in my car all the time so I would want to know I could do this with rear facing as well.

We've got 3 in mine and 2 in Micks, if we have to replace them all I better start saving now! - wonder if LA will give us a grant :laughing: :laughing:

littletreasures
12-06-2009, 03:28 PM
The rear seats in my Espace can be turned round as they all have individual 3 point seat belts, so I would have thought I could have the children in the booster seats with backs and just turn the car seats round. That would make the children rear facing. couldn't I?

TheBTeam
12-06-2009, 04:07 PM
They are assuming it is only us going to drive into someone else! What if someone rear ended me, then the child would be forward facing?:eek:

emmadines
12-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Im sorry but i would not be spending £270 on a car seat.... no way!!

at 13 months becky's (my now 3 year old) legs were way too long to use a rear facing child seat...next thing hey will come out with is it will damage growth etc sitting in these seats etc. can you imagine if you had twins - how much would that cost??

carebear25
12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
:angry: Its not gonna work with my rear facin seats in my car as per attached pics

icant put them on help pauline xxx

cher25
12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
At the moment i can have 2 forward facing seats and a booster seat in the middle. If they make this law then i will be limited to only having 2 children at any time if using the car. As rear facing ones are much bigger than forward facing. And as other's have said, no child is going to be happy with that.
Guess i better start saving up now to buy a bigger car. :(

mrs c
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
How many times have you been driving along and said "look at that" and by the time they look, you are past. One thing about rear facing seats, it cures that problem :laughing: :laughing:

breezy
12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
The screecher I have screeched her head off in rear facing seat as she got older, she is small and stayed in it til she was one, it was a really dangerous distraction for me. Despite toys etc she was bored, now in a forward facing seat shes quite happy, she can see out the window and interact more with other kids.

As previously said I'd also be worried about someone shunting me, cos the it would be the same as them being forward!

The Juggler
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
:angry: Its not gonna work with my rear facin seats in my car as per attached pics

surely in an accident their legs would be crushed to smithereens. Head fine, but they'll never walk again!

flora
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
In rear shunt the imppact pushes you foward the inertia pushes the kids inot the back of the seat and a greater suface area of the body absorbs the impact.

If they are forward facing the harness takes the impact of a smaller area of the body.

I think the MOST IMPORTANT thing is the kids wear seatbelts and use carseats at all and that they are properly fitted. I have lost track of the number of kids I know that don't use anything of just use the wrong one cos its easier :(

Helen79
12-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Its not gonna work with my rear facin seats in my car as per attached pics

Are those seats suppose to be rear facing with his height & weight though?
The ones designed for rear facing with older children have plenty of leg room, the ones on the rearfacing website look v comfy, if not comfier than forward facing as their legs aren't dangling down.

I haven't got the rear facing ones as I just can't afford them, I would buy them in a flash if I could afford them. ds stayed in his baby seat til last month (he was 16months) & fitted fine in there, he is quite small though. The crash test dummy videos make me feel ill to watch.

TheBTeam
12-06-2009, 07:35 PM

What also worries me with them facing this way is how sure can you be that in a front shunt that the chair doesn't go forward and slam into the seat in front, cos even the baby ones have been known to do this, which is why some have the handle up for driving because it is then that that bashes the seat not the child.

FizzysFriends
12-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I think the MOST IMPORTANT thing is the kids wear seatbelts and use carseats at all and that they are properly fitted. I have lost track of the number of kids I know that don't use anything of just use the wrong one cos its easier :(

I agree, I have a 12kg (and very short) mindee that is in a booster with a back on, using an adult seat belt :angry:

carebear25
12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Are those seats suppose to be rear facing with his height & weight though?
The ones designed for rear facing with older children have plenty of leg room, the ones on the rearfacing website look v comfy, if not comfier than forward facing as their legs aren't dangling down.

I haven't got the rear facing ones as I just can't afford them, I would buy them in a flash if I could afford them. ds stayed in his baby seat til last month (he was 16months) & fitted fine in there, he is quite small though. The crash test dummy videos make me feel ill to watch.

No but I was tryin 2 show how it wont work with the normal rear facin seats,

sue
13-06-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry i am all for safety don't get me wrong but comfort is also important, children are not going to see much apart from a seat!
I know car accidents happen but i think it has to be put into prospective!
I won't be buying them!

you will if it becomes law (have a feeling it will in next few years!!!!!!)

sweets
13-06-2009, 09:32 PM
you will if it becomes law (have a feeling it will in next few years!!!!!!)

No i won't! not unless the seats come down considerably in price, if it comes to it i just won't use my car for minding!