PDA

View Full Version : Planning for babies

mumx3
11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
From Sept I will have a 14 month old and a 7 month old.

I would love to do themes with themes but they are soooo little.

I was thinking of starting off with colour and texture. Now I know they wont "get it" as such but I am sure they will enjoy it.

Any tips or ideas for planning for really little ones.

Minstrel
11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
sorry i thought this was going to be a thread about contraceptive advice....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

jumpinjen
11-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I use the guidance book in the EYFS pack.. it has suggestions like putting two balls and three pine cones in a basket, just them, as something to introduce babies to 'calculating' in the PSRN part of the EYFS.... sounds a bit loony but have a look, it goes through suggestions for each section for babies up to 8 months, then 8-20 months etc and can give you loads of ideas!!

I do a monthly plan of things I would like to introduce, using that to help me, then put them into weekly planning as i think they will fit, then obserrve them using the materials/ responding to the experience and do follow on ideas for next steps... hey presto a learning journey is born!

texture is a great idea!! ... natural textures doing tree rubbings, pone cones, shells, feeling long grasses on a walk, a basket of different fabrics to feel and play peekaboo with, balls of different types (try your toy library... mine has a great box full of sensory balls and hoops)

Best Wishes, Jenni :)

Daftbat
11-06-2009, 08:43 PM
How about finger and hand painting, footprints? Sticking different types of fabric to make a colage which they can then feel to see the difference.

Bold bright colours to paint with and big chunky crayons for the older one.

water play with colours in the water

sand/flour etc.

All could be done in a messy tray and it will all be loads of fun and stimulation. So long as you are ok with mess it would be good:laughing:

The Juggler
18-06-2009, 04:53 PM
From Sept I will have a 14 month old and a 7 month old.

I would love to do themes with themes but they are soooo little.

I was thinking of starting off with colour and texture. Now I know they wont "get it" as such but I am sure they will enjoy it.

Any tips or ideas for planning for really little ones.

Babies learn with their senses so definitely go down the sensory route. Wouldn't bother with a theme as such just offer lots of colourful, sensory experiences for them. See what they like most, noise, touch and plan more experiences/resources around that.

Good luck

Bex1
29-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello I have a 7 mth old mindee and 14 mth old and with the older one I have tried themes and topics but to be honest I have found they simply want to play and, in respect of the baby, wants to roll around the floor or sit on my lap watchin the other children play!

I do have a basket with rough and smooth textures in it such as fir cone, soft sponge, whicker ball, smooth duplo brick etc and they like to look and feel these, not the 7 mth old but he likes the sensory bottles I made (small ones filled with coloured stars, feathers, glitter) and the older ones like these too!

zillervalley
29-07-2009, 12:01 PM
ho
sorry I cant help , i am starting with 7mth this august, so thanks for the replies sent I am hetting a few tips hear

ziller

sarah707
29-07-2009, 04:53 PM
planning for babies involves following their interests, their schemas and their learning styles to promote their learning and development.

it is also about caring for them and following their home routines etc :D

ss1983
17-01-2010, 03:22 PM
i have a 13 months old and my topic is senses this month he likes alot of messy play /
but in my weekly planning a have planned activities but he not really into them yet will ofsted say anthing if she looks at my planning and sees i have not done it all

sarah707
17-01-2010, 06:20 PM
i have a 13 months old and my topic is senses this month he likes alot of messy play /
but in my weekly planning a have planned activities but he not really into them yet will ofsted say anthing if she looks at my planning and sees i have not done it all

Children under 3 rarely respond well to organised activities and are best when playing ...

Some of the play should be led by them and some should be provided by you to support their interests.

Show in your planning how you are meeting the child's needs and if things don't happen, say why not!

It's important to look back and say things didn't go to plan... a lot of Ofsted reports are asking for childminders to evaluate what they do.

Once they get nearer 3 you will find they need more structure in their days... that's when your group planning is more relevant (still tailored for the individual child of course).

Hth :D