PDA

View Full Version : New Arrivals

emler
15-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Just wondered how you prepare children in your setting for new mindees who are about to start?
This is another lovely question from my self assessment form and it got me thinking - I don't really do much to prepare the kiddies for new arrivals. I obviously tell them who will be joining us, their age, if we will be taking them to school/nursery etc but I'm not sure what else I should be doing.
Anyone got any ideas???

Emler x

Spangles
15-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Other than maybe ask the mum to bring the child over for a short time to meet the children before starting properly if possible I can't think of much else more than you do!

Maybe if the children are old enough they could make a 'welcome' card or poster?

Personally, I would have thought what you do has it covered though?

miffy
15-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Do you let the children meet the new mindee before they start say on settling in visits?

I usually try and arrange these at the time I'm looking after the children who will be there when the new one is iyswim then you can talk about hobbies and interests and see if there are any shared ones

You can involve your mindees in choosing toys for the new ones to play with

I often do some craft activities that all can join in together

Perhaps you could add things like making sure you have enough toys like 2 pushchairs so there is no falling out and setting aside some time so that everyone is included like reading books together

Sorry if I'm waffling

Miffy xx

emler
15-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Thats a good idea Lorri. At the moment I don't get all the kids together to meet a new mindee. Also with settling in sessions I usually arrange that its just me and my daughter initially. Maybe after the first settling in session I should have newbies round to meet the rest of the kids like you suggest.
Thanks for that

Emler x

emler
15-02-2008, 01:58 PM
No you're not waffling Miffy lol.
Thanks for your suggestions. Now I definately have something to put down as an area of weakness and suggestions for improvement - thank you :clapping:

Emler x

miffy
15-02-2008, 02:01 PM
You are welcome Leanne

I would like to look at a copy of your self assessment form (blank one I mean) as I think this is what is on the cards for us too

Miffy xx

emler
15-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm supposed to be starting it now but as always I've been side tracked on the forum lol.
We are supposed to complete it online and we are given individual passwords by the Care Commission to access the eforms. I'm not sure I will be able to copy the forms but if not I will type out & send you the questions if you like?

Emler x

miffy
15-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Don't go to too much trouble just the different areas it covers will do

Think I'm getting the idea of it lol

Miffy xx

Spangles
15-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Miffy, is it along the lines of the self-assessment form that Ofsted sends out just before you are inspected?

If so, I think I might have the link somewhere or someone else will have.

??

miffy
15-02-2008, 02:15 PM
No Lorri

The one Ofsted sends out or you get on line is just a tick box thing where you tick whether you are outstanding good etc under each of the five outcomes but the one Emler is filling in asks much more detailed questions

I was at a meeting a couple of weeks ago when we were told that ofsted are bringing in a new self assessment form but I haven't seen it yet just wanted to look at Emler's cos I'm nosy and it might be similar

Miffy xx

Spangles
15-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Oh, okay.

I've got a Early Years and Childcare Quality Framework thing I've had to fill in from Cambridge CC. You have to show how you meet the every child matters goals and say whether you meet them or need to work on them etc, and then another form to say what your ongoing plans are or something.

Is it that? It's not from Ofsted though, I don't want to do another flaming one for them as well! Blimey!

miffy
15-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Sorry Lorri thanks for trying to help

It's not important I was just interested in what might be coming in for us soon

I am clear that the ofsted self assessment form is due to be updated but haven't seen what it is going to be like - from what I've heard it will be more detailed than the present one

Sorry if I've confused you

Miffy xx

Spangles
15-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, it's easily done, don't worry!