PDA

View Full Version : counselling question ( possibly sens)

mozarella
11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
a friend of mine would like to register as a childminder, she was abused as a child and is currently having counselling session. Would this affect her application? She is absolutely fine with children, love being with children, counselling is more for her and her relationship with her H

sue m
11-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Didn't want to read and run but I couldn't say for sure. She would probably have to let Ofsted know and get a letter from her GP as I did cos I'm on anti-depressants and had some counselling. Sorry, not a great help!

Mouse
11-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I suppose only Ofsted can say for sure.

The only thing I would say is that she may find training difficult when it covers child protection & in particular child abuse.

Pipsqueak
11-06-2009, 05:15 PM
As already said - only OFSTED can say for sure but I am sure there are people who have had traumatic pasts who go on to childmind successfully.

Daftbat
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Its a difficult one as each case is individual.. Depending upon what the problem is minding could actually help her as it may be better to work in her own home, being her own boss than elsewhere.

Donkey
12-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Ofsted will not know the reason for counselling unless she chooses to tell them

I have previously had depression previously with treatment with anti-depressants and also counselling.

at counselling I discussed many things to do with my childhood. All Ofsted knew was that I have had depression in the past and that I had counselling.

It didnt affect my application as it was a few years ago. I think because she is recieving treatment at the momemt, they may write to her gp to ask her about her ability to work with children, providing the medication she is on does not affect that ability she will be fine!