PDA

View Full Version : temporary minding

Lily Grace
11-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi I had a call from a mum who wanted me to look after her 10month old baby girl till November when her place at nursery becomes available. I am not sure if I should take the job, the money would be handy. What should I do about deposits, do I ask for a months deposit which would be refunded when the baby leaves me. Do they sign a contract etc. I just feel a bit sorry for the baby as she would be settling in with me then she would go to a nursery. My instincts tell me not to take the job. Has anyone else done this?

Tippy Toes
11-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi im a new childminder so have never been put in this position yet.

That is a difficult one, like you said the child would start to get attached to you and you to the child....But if you dont look after the child someone else will?

I would say go with what you think is best - you never know come November the parents may see the baby is so happy with you they may change their minds and decide to keep her with you.

As for contract yes I would get one completed and signed.

Deposit? - Depends on when the baby will be starting, if immediately then I wouldnt ask for one.

Good luck whatever you decide x:)

FizzysFriends
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I'd do it if I had the space. Would only ask for a deposit if it wasn't an immediate start. You will need contracts/record forms and all the normal stuff.

katickles
11-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd do it if I had the space. Would only ask for a deposit if it wasn't an immediate start. You will need contracts/record forms and all the normal stuff.

Same here :)

Louise_Oaktree
12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I have done this for a family - it worked well because I knew exactly when the child was leaving me (on her 2nd birthday) so I could fill the place well in advance of her leaving :D rather than usual 4 weeks notice.

Daftbat
12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I have done all sorts of minding contracts over the years. I see no problem with having the child until November. You never know they may change their mind anyway and if not then you will always be their first choice for emergency or unexpected minding hours. Children leave you for all sorts of reasons, moving house, job changes etc.

Spangles
12-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I would definitely do the job if you like the mum and the baby.

You never know it may turn out to be permanent in the end plus the money and experience would be good and you can get a reference out of it at the end to go on your file. Also, may lead to more work by the mum's word of mouth.

It's up to you at the end of the day but if works not leaping out at you at the moment like with a lot of us it's probably more than worth doing.

x

helenlc
12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I had siblings before for 7 weeks until the nursery could accomodate both of them. It worked out well and gave me some extra money when I didnt have many permanent ones.

I would do it and as others have said, Mum might re-consider the nursery if baby becomes really settled with you.

Lily Grace
12-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Called the mum just now, the nursery rang today to say there is now a space for her baby, oh well never mind.

Spangles
12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh no, that's such a shame, it obviously wasn't mean to be.

Hope you get something else soon.

x