PDA

View Full Version : What exactly do NCMA do?

sweets
11-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I have been registered a year now, when i first started my LA paid for a years NCMA membership and insurance. I have just recieved my renewal letter and am thinking of going with MM instead as its cheaper.
BUt was just wondering what they actually do? NCMA is £71 for the year and £23 for insurance. i obviously understand what the insurance bit is for and of course would not be without it, but whats the £71 for? what do they actually do?
If i did go with MM can i use up the NCMA contracts that i still have left or would i need a new set?
Sorry for all the questions but its just bugging me!

Daftbat
11-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I understand how you feel.

I think they are supposed to be the voice of childminders when it comes to speaking up in favour of new legislation and arguing our corner if legislation is seen to be against us.

They are also supposed to offer help and advice through their legal department and advice on childminding in general. I THINK!!!! I am happy to be wrong:D

Anyway, i don't feel that they have done much for me over the last nine years so i have just changed to MM. Public Liability ins £40 and done my own contracts etc.

Mouse
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I've always stuck with NCMA, but I will give serious consideration to changing at my next renewal.
NCMA don't even send out a handbook now - you have to view it all online.
I do like the Who Minds magazine, but it's a lot of money to pay for 4 copies a year!

christine e
11-06-2009, 12:32 PM
NCMA is a registered charity and therefor non profit making. It works with local authorities and government on our behalf accessing funding for training and promoting childminders as professionals. Morton Mitchell is a profit making company.

Cx

rickysmiths
11-06-2009, 01:14 PM
NCMA is a registered charity and therefor non profit making. It works with local authorities and government on our behalf accessing funding for training and promoting childminders as professionals. Morton Mitchell is a profit making company.

Cx

Well said!

I have been a member for years now. I was quite surprised when I saw how much MM charge for their insurance £40pa and NCMA is only £28pa incl. employees insurance. £23pa without. MM don't give you the option all of you pay for Employees insurance even if you don't need it. :rolleyes:

NCMA give all cms the chance of a voice.

They do operate the Helpline which is there for us to phone if we have any questions or concerns wshich I think is very helpful. If you have a concern or problem as a cm you can suddenly feel very alone and feel that no one else understands the unique position we are in. The helpline is also open to parents.

NCMA also hold Regional Forums to which all members are welcome, these give a chance to voice concerns, opinions etc and they are fed back to National Forum and they can then act on our behalf. The Forums are being hels around the country at the moment-ours is on Sat 13th June. All you need to do is phone NCMA or your regional office and they will be able to tell you where you nearest one is.

Many of the Development workers around the country are NCMA staff. They help to arrange training and development, they also help to get funding to cms-not always an easy job as many County Councils do not see the value of childminding and they beaver away in the background on our behalf.

In Hertfodshire for instance, they have started a Herts Childminding Forum which local cms were invited to join. Very few applied which was a shame, though there are four members who are members of this forum :clapping:
The NCMA staff have managed to get some funds earmarked for cms in Herts. We didn't get any of the Capital Grant that some got. One of the jobs for us on the forum is to ask all our cm friends how they want the money distributed.

So , unlike MM who are a profit making business, NCMA do have our interests as professionals at heart.

sweets
11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
i don't really understand it! (bit thick sorry!). Do you mean that we don't actually have to be a member but as long as we are insured thats ok? so in theory i could just get the NCMA insurance and not the membership, Surely the legal helpline is to do with the insurance and not the actual NCMA membership so i would still be able to access it if i had a problem?

rickysmiths
11-06-2009, 04:48 PM
No you do have to be a member to have NCMA insurance, sorry.

I was just trying to explain the benifits of being a member of NCMA as well as all the basic insurance and paperwork. (NCMA paperwork is cheaper than MM for its members).

The Juggler
11-06-2009, 04:53 PM

Cx

and working to improve the quality of childminding training to improve children's outcomes. I agree bulletins and magazine could be more frequent. don't think NCMA is £70 plus the cost of insurance as someone said earlier on the thread. am sure the £67 or £70/year includes your insurance.

MM are not lobbying the government on our behalf. They won the fight over the new Ofsted fees for us - it was going to be £125. I only recently found out they were a charity however.

christine e
12-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Of course all childminders benefit when NCMA lobby for us - eg the £125 proposed Ofsted fee being reduced. So non members are reaping the rewards of those of us who pay our membership to NCMA!

Cx

rickysmiths
12-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Of course all childminders benefit when NCMA lobby for us - eg the £125 proposed Ofsted fee being reduced. So non members are reaping the rewards of those of us who pay our membership to NCMA!

Cx

Hear, hear! The is lots of work the NCMA does that benifits non members.

Just to remind:

Membership is £48pa

Public Lib Ins is £23pa Much cheaper than MM

Employees ins is £5pa At least this is on an as need basis, MM make all pay this!

Chatterbox Childcare
12-06-2009, 08:01 AM
MM also don't give you as much cover for over 8's. Not in monetary terms but in area - i.e. my over 8's are able to play out the front without my direct supervision. An 8 year old would not go but my 10 year olds do and it gives me more flexibility and them more freedom.

Last month I went to a NCMA Regional Meeting and was lucky enough to meet the Chairperson of NCMA and Suzanne was so informative and helpful.

When was the last time non NCMA insurance companies made the tax man available to you for 3 hours for up to date information and questions?

Mollymop
12-06-2009, 11:07 AM
I like NCMA. I like to buy their books - like accounts, attendance books, etc. Plus if you are a member you get them a lot cheaper. I think the accounts book is about £16 but only £8 if you are member of NCMA.
I also buy their contracts and child record forms, accident/incident books.

I renewed my insurance and membership not long ago and it was only about £70 total. Which I don't mind paying at all

Spangles
12-06-2009, 11:09 AM
That's the million dollar question! Ha ha!

No, actually I'm with them and I think they're quite good apart from publicising our role accurately in the media! I don't see a lot of that happening.

sweets
12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
ok thanks everybody i will stick with NCMA i think then:)

hello kitty
13-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm with MM and have never had a problem.

I don't like the fact that with NCMA you HAVE to use their paperwork to be insured with them. That must add up over the course of a year. With MM I can print off my own copies as often as I need to. ;)

christine e
13-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm with MM and have never had a problem.

I don't like the fact that with NCMA you HAVE to use their paperwork to be insured with them. That must add up over the course of a year. With MM I can print off my own copies as often as I need to. ;)

You need to use NCMA contracts if you want to be able to use them for free legal representation, using your own paperwork doesn't affect your public liability insurance.

Cx

Jen Wibble
15-06-2009, 04:48 PM
NCMA have done so much for childminders over the years. It is true that every childminder gets the benefit of the work they do for us but being a member is being a part of a membership led organisation. It is like a lot of things in life, if you put things in and become a part of it you reap rewards.
This could be by paying your membership and helping NCMA lobby Government over problems that face childminders, children and parents or it could be by getting actively involved.
Many people become volunteers and help their local groups or county associtions, become reps for their area or even Board members. I attended a meeting in East midlands that was run by volunteers for volunteers. I learned more that day than on some of my LA training.
If you are an NCMA member and you wonder what they do for you, go along to your next Forum meeting and air your views. In east mids it is Oct 3rd in Grantham. It is a great day out, time to chat and to network with other childminders. I cant attend this one but I will try to go to the others. If you try it you might get a surprise and find out NCMA do a lot. Sorry for getting on my bandwagon but they have helped me so much but it is all to personal too share.
Another thing is dont get confused over NCM as an organisation and the local NCMA staff who could be working to LA rules
Jen x:clapping:

sweets
15-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Just to let you know i have just renewed my NCMA membership!:)

christine e
15-06-2009, 09:12 PM

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thumbsup:

Cx

rickysmiths
16-06-2009, 08:31 AM

:clapping: :jump for joy: :clapping: :jump for joy: