PDA

View Full Version : childhood incontinence

Polly2
11-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Hi again
have you read the article in who minds about this? It is really interesting. My son is 7 and still wets and soils occasionally - he is so much better than he used to be.

I used to blame myself and get angry with him it was awful.

This article shows just how common it is, going to have a look at links later

http://www.eric.org.uk/

Might be good to pass to any parents who are suffering x

huggableshelly
11-06-2009, 09:07 AM
I read that too, didnt think of passing it onto anyone but at this moment in time I do not know of any who are having issues.

Going to photocopy and place it in my hygiene section so i can find it easy if ever i need it.

The Juggler
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
It was really good. My daughter wasn't out of nappies until three and continued to wet up to five times a day until she started reception at 4 1/2 then was nearly five before dry at night.

My son only recently stopped frequent night-time wetting at 9 and still has occasional accidents.

It made me feel better as I have mostly had mindees who are dry at 2 - 2 1/2 I was starting to think I had done something wrong. However, it helps me to reassure parents with late starters.

My daughter was checked out for infections and was going to have referral but managed to stay dry at grandparents for a week. Think it must have been something about our toilet or house maybe. I could see she needed to go and would say, do you need a wee. She'd say no. I'd say shall we try you look like you need one. She used to then run to the toilet and pretend to have gone, even flush and wash her hands and then would wee on the carpet in the living room 2 mins later.

In the end I just used to say, never mind off you go and change and I would clean up. I think as well as the NCMA medical issues raised there's a lot of psychological stuff going on.

Polly2
11-06-2009, 09:46 AM
The thing is they learn coping stratigies don't they? My son didn't do loads of wee but used to "leak" and sometimes poo just a little - but he knew it upset me so would go and change and wash even but then hide the poo pants at bottom of wash pile, and poo baby wipes behind the toilet...well you can imagine the smell and I would have to go hunting.

I agree it is so hard when parent come in and says " lo slept all night with no nappy wow! and he is only 2" then theres my ds who still wets every night at 7!

Its just good to know its not just me ;)

The Juggler
11-06-2009, 09:58 AM
It is and thank you - it feels better to know it isn't just me too.

Even had do round other day i was saying how well one of my mindees was doing not yet 2 1/2 and completely dry and clean for 2 months and another mindee just turned 2 doing so well with her training.

She said 'oh' 2 1/2's late isn't it. Personally I still think 2 is very early. 2 1/2 seems average age when most children are ready and I think you're lucky if they are dry at 3.

angeldelight
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
The thing is they learn coping stratigies don't they? My son didn't do loads of wee but used to "leak" and sometimes poo just a little - but he knew it upset me so would go and change and wash even but then hide the poo pants at bottom of wash pile, and poo baby wipes behind the toilet...well you can imagine the smell and I would have to go hunting.

I agree it is so hard when parent come in and says " lo slept all night with no nappy wow! and he is only 2" then theres my ds who still wets every night at 7!

Its just good to know its not just me ;)

Oh bless him

I do think it is more common than you think just that parents do not like to speak about it

Angel xx

Tippy Toes
11-06-2009, 10:05 AM
I have a similar problem. My little boy will be 4 in August and he was out of nappies and dry at 2 and half. Problem is the last few months he has been wetting the bed most nights! Not sure what to do as like I said earlier he was and has been brilliant! Its only recently it starting to go backwards! Really not sure what to do!:( I make sure he has a wee before bed etc but nothing helps.

Spangles
11-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Have you cut down on the liquids he drinks during the afternoon?

My son occasionally has an accident at night, he gets very upset but I just give him a cuddle, get him washed and changed, change the bed and put him back to sleep.

Every night when I read him a story I have to remember to tell him to go to the toilet in the night if he needs to and to wipe his nose if it's runny - not cry as it makes it worse! (He's got bad hayfever at mo.) Isn't it awful, I'm bossing him about even as he's about to nod off! Ha ha!

I've read it's very common for these problems to occur and it's even common for adults to still have problems like this too although the subject is so taboo no-one normally speaks about it.

Polly2
11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Thats the problem though isn't it...the subject is very much taboo.

Thats why it was so refreshing to see an article on it and a website.

Twinkletime, have you mentioned it to the hv? If he has at on time been dry then maybe he has an infection or other problem.

I haven't had a dry night yet from my son so I know that he is just not developed yet. (have been down hv route) Also some juice drinks agravate the bladder - have you given him anything different to drink lately?

Tippy Toes
11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I have cut down on the drinks he has in the afternoon 'Spangles' but still no good.:(

Polly2 thanks for suggesting the hv I will get in touch with her to see what she says, it just so strange that all of a sudden he is starting to wet the bed when before he was excellent and never had any accidents.

I havnt given him anything different to drink either...

Polly2
11-06-2009, 12:53 PM
It does sound a bit strange - do you think he is upset about anything? does he have nightmares??

Tippy Toes
11-06-2009, 01:00 PM
It does sound a bit strange - do you think he is upset about anything? does he have nightmares??

He is a really happy confident little boy but yes he does have nightmares. He will wake anything betwean 2 and 6 times a night screaming.:( He is so sensitive little things seem to affect him. But he has always had nightmares it is not a recent thing.

sarah32
11-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for that.

I'll have a good read later as my 6 year old daughter still wets herself and its nice to know your not alone.

mandy moo
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM
It is and thank you - it feels better to know it isn't just me too.

Even had do round other day i was saying how well one of my mindees was doing not yet 2 1/2 and completely dry and clean for 2 months and another mindee just turned 2 doing so well with her training.

She said 'oh' 2 1/2's late isn't it. Personally I still think 2 is very early. 2 1/2 seems average age when most children are ready and I think you're lucky if they are dry at 3.

Whole heartedly agree with you, especially boys I think, I know so many parents that tell me their LO is 'dry' now, when in actuall fact they still have an 'accident' 2 or 3 times a daystill, Like its some sort of contest or something.
When really unless they have a problem of some sort it really doesnt matter.
I too had 'dribbling' problems with my eldest, hes 11 in sept, its only the last year we've hardly had an accidents at night at all..yay

mandy moo
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I have a similar problem. My little boy will be 4 in August and he was out of nappies and dry at 2 and half. Problem is the last few months he has been wetting the bed most nights! Not sure what to do as like I said earlier he was and has been brilliant! Its only recently it starting to go backwards! Really not sure what to do!:( I make sure he has a wee before bed etc but nothing helps.

My eldest was dry at probly 2 3/4, dry at night 4 1/2, we started having problems it seems with his 'dribbling' when he started Nursery school.

Polly2
11-06-2009, 01:17 PM
twinkletime - sounds like nightmares are unrelated then. Maybe the hv can shed more light on it. Hope so x

Thanks for all your replys

cabby
11-06-2009, 02:08 PM
i have the " leaking" problem with one of my mindees, she is 6, and comes out of school most days with 2-3 lots of wet clothes, also if she thinks no one has noticed an accident she wont tell myself, teachers or parents, so usually smells quite strongly of wee most of the time, as she does it lets it dry then carrys on doing it in the same set of clothes till someone notices and tells her to get changed, when she is at my house i set the timer for every 15-20 mins, and explained to her that when it goes off to go and try for a wee, she now goes and trys automatically when she hears the buzzer , and we've had no accidents here for about a month:clapping: i told mum what we do and she agreed it was a really good idea and was going to do it at home, lo also still wears pull ups at night.

Polly2
11-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Well done karen thats a great idea! :clapping:

Thats the only thing that helps my son is to remind him - he will pee on demand ha! but doesn't always seem to realise he needs to go until its too late.

Its so hard for them in school though

mandy moo
12-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Well done karen thats a great idea! :clapping:

Thats the only thing that helps my son is to remind him - he will pee on demand ha! but doesn't always seem to realise he needs to go until its too late.

Its so hard for them in school though

I agree especially as years 1 to 6 can have water bottles on their desks in our school.
And the teachers dont seem
( And yes I know they do really & that it can be really distracting with children getting up and down every 5 mins to go to the loo, but why let them have bottles on desks if thats the case?)
to realise the more you drink the more you want to pee!
We had this prob with my eldest they wouldnt let him go to the toilet, so he just used to wet himself and he was also in denial that he did it also, so I was up there at lease once or twice a day, until enough was enough, I went up there told them it wasnt on, something had to be done.
It was, he was allowed to go..
thankfully tho this past year hasnt been thatbad Iveonly been up afew time, when hes had a supply teacher or something like that..