PDA

View Full Version : Single glazed doors and saftey backing, anyone know?

newbieminder
11-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I am in the process of getting my house and garden ready for my inspection, when my mum was a childminder, many moons ago! she had to have plastic saftey backing on all the glass doors in the house incase they ever shattered, I have a single glazed back door, does anyone know if this is still the case?

Thanks
x

chewy sweets
11-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes you'd be advised to use safety glass film on all single glazed glass doors.
Also on any low level glass in doors around your home.
:laughing:

rickysmiths
11-06-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree with Katieskatie, However I have a display cupboard which I didn't want to put the film on so my dh made an MDF cover for it that hooks into the wall a bit like you would hook a fire guard with the little hook and eyes.

I have painted it with magnetic/blackboard paint so the mindees have an extra surface to play on and I can remove the barrier out of hours and regain my home. I have had this in two homes and been inspected in both, Ofsted thought it was a great idea. So we are all happy :clapping:

geordiebunny
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
i've just had to do our patio doors as we were unsure if they were safety glass what a nightmare hate it but going to live with it until can afford to get it done professionally. We have a full door also between hall and dining room and had to do that aswell. Best bet is to check if it has the stamp to say if safety glass or if you know a glazier ask them otherwise best to do it got mine from ebay lovely company cut it for me and everything and it literally came next day. we have been told we need a screen of some sort for the outside as it doesn't really work well outside but if it was single glazed we wouldn't need it as long as it was on 1 side. good luck

mrs c
11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I have internal glass doors and because I couldn't prove they were a certain thickness I had to cover them with safety film. My porch door has glass panels and I had to cover the lower panels with safety film. My bay window is not double glazed and I was not going to attempt to cover with safety film so made panels that I could easily slot in when children are here. All single glass had to be covered to a height of 3 foot.