PDA

View Full Version : Not sure whether to charge??

Polly2
11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Morning all
I have been minding for a family for 3 years. Used to have both boys but now one is in school. I have been doing after school care for him occasionally but only charging for when he is here, as a favour.

I was ok with this because I was already minding brother, and also she gives my girls b/sitting work in hols and some weekends. One time one of her horses was about to give birth so she let my daughter stay the night to watch!

So nice parents - I am happy to help them out.

Now the school age son has moved schools to where my son goes. My son catches minibus by my front gate. Mum has managed to get her lo on the bus but they will only pick up from my house because she is out of catchment.

This would mean she drops him off at 8 every day and he gets on bus at 8.15. Would you charge for this?? If so how much?

It is no bother for me as my son is getting on anyway and I am tempted to not charge but does that make me look unprofessional and will she then take advantage?

Sorry for long post but wanted you to know history - what do you think??

Roseolivia
11-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Think it's up to you. You'd have to think if you need to do a contract as he'll be with you 15 mins every morning. There'll probably be someone along soon who can help.

katickles
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I was going to say about contracts & attendance registers - I guess charing is upto you really. I understand why you are thinking not to as personally I think i'd be the same.

Mouse
11-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I think I would start off by charging a fee, just until you know that it all runs smoothly with him being dropped off & catching the bus. Even £5 a week would be enough to give you a working relationship.

After say, the first term, you decide that it's all going to work well you could say to the mum that you feel you don't need to charge her, so you won't be doing from then on.

If on the other hand you find it a bit of a pain (for whatever reason) you at least know you're getting something out of it.

Bushpig
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Personally I wouldn't charge for this, going on your history with them. Maybe you should have a written agreement between you both though, for insurance purposes, in case he gets ill and the 15 mins becomes a few hours etc. Just to cover yourself.

Polly2
11-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Yes all good points.

Existing contract is still in place - just hours will change and I still record attendance.

I charge £4 an hour so £1 a day do you think...that would be £5 a week, I could still say she could pay for only the days she uses me because I think some days she will take him to school herself.

Does that sound better?

angeldelight
11-06-2009, 08:39 AM
My first thought was do not charge

But then even in 15 min something could happen - say if he had a fall or something ? It is just not about the money is it

I would have a contract and charge a small fee so you are covered every way

I think your suggestion of £5 a week is fair

Angel xx

Polly2
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks Angel I think I will sleep on it

Will have to speak to mum properly also

Thanks all x

Chimps Childminding
12-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Just a thought but I would charge £5 per week or something like that. There may be a time when the bus doesn't turn up, or turns up late or something and I am sure the mum wouldn't object to a small fee to ensure that someone was keeping an eye on her child!!! plus at least the child will be waiting for the bus in a nice warm house, rather than out on the pavement especially when its raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
My first reaction was no i wouldn't charge but if he is in your house he is in your numbers. What if there was an accident - who would be responsible?

You could sell it to mum that the money covers insurance.

huggableshelly
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I dont charge for one of mine, she arrives at 8:20 we get in the car at 8:30 and then she goes into school at 8:45 plus she is over 8

BUT I still have child record forms and contract in place, in return she gives me flowers every so often or chocs

it is up to you, if i were to do it all again I would charge a little bit each wk to cover the paperwork side but its too late for me lol i cant start charging for something i;ve done for free and mum knows if i take on another child in the mornings then she loses her ride to school

beckyteddy
13-06-2009, 11:32 AM
If I was the parent, I think I woud want to pay something so that I didn't feel I was taking advantage. If I wasn't paying I'd feel like I would have to say loads of thankyou's all the time and be really extra gratefull.............

whereas a small fee woud make me feel comfortable that I was being fair, and of course I would say thankyou anyway but I wouldn't feel so endebted.