PDA

View Full Version : No more Hungry caterpillar!!

sweets
10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I used to love this book but my littlest mindee nearly 2 is obsessed with it! i must read it at least a dozen times a day, if i hide it he walks round saying cacerpilr in a sad voice all day until i get it out!! the other day i couldn't find it , it was lost for 3 days until i did a major hoover and found it under the sofa, i asked older mindees (3+4) how it got there and they admitted pushing it right under with a piece if train track because they were fed up of it too!
I had to laugh,and i actually thought i quite clever of them to work together to get rid of it. lol. might even link it to EYFS as working as a team :laughing:

Mouse
10-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Have you got a Hungry Caterpillar story sack? We've got one with soft toys, activity cards, jigsaws etc in it. Perhaps he'd play with something like that rather than having to have the story read to him all the time.

Or record it onto a tape or CD & play it on repeat for him!

Pipsqueak
10-06-2009, 09:33 PM
The fav books in my houe at the moment are:

Sammy the Snail (googly eyes from Aldi)

Billys Bucket (even I am getting sick of it at the moment ) but its fab
Theres a dinosaur at my school (hilarious book)

sweets
10-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Oh weve done lots of hungry caterpillar activities !! But they just don't compare with having the book read to him. I asked his mum if she wanted to take it home and she said NO WAY she uses it as a way of getting him to my house without tears! LOL

Mouse
10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
lol @ you trying to get mum to take it!

One of my little one is obsessed with churches at the moment!
It's all he talks about...all day! He's 2 & knows all about churches, cathedrals & chapels. Every toy is a church, every book is stood on it's side to be a church, his hands are church doors that are either open or closed!! His poor mum even has to drive home passed a church so he can see it!

Next week I'm going to take him to look at a mosque! He's only interested in the buildings, not what goes on inside them, and I think he'll be impressed!

sweets
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Its funny how they get fixated on things! i'm hoping he'll get over it soon.

If not i am going to BURN IT!:laughing:

Mouse
10-06-2009, 09:50 PM
But don't you start off thinking these things are really cute?
They get a little interest about something and you think how sweet it is & you encourage it, then before you know it it's turned into a massive obsession that drives you mad :laughing:

sweets
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
yes thought it was lovely at first!
Good idea about recording me reading it, might put it on a loop! lol
The little one being obsessed with churches is funny! never heard that one before.

loocyloo
11-06-2009, 07:06 AM
i got a set of 4 'hungry caterpillar' books ('world of eric carl - the learning library - £2.50 i think ) from tesco ... boardbooks, about 3" square, in a little cardboard box - colours, animal noises, words & numbers. the colours one uses pictures from hungry caterpillar!

really nice ... i'm almost loathe to let the mindees look at them!!;)

PixiePetal
11-06-2009, 07:25 AM
My mindee has progressed from The Hungry Caterpillar to 'Room on the Broom' - when I ask him to choose a book from the shelf of 100's at the end of the day, he will spend ages looking for it. So much so that we sometimes run out of time to read it :phew: :laughing:

Polly2
11-06-2009, 07:37 AM
One of mine is fixated by mice! Stuart little in particular. Its my fault really! I put the dvd on (she watches tv to fall asleep) and now thats all she wants to do.

"Mice, mice mice" so we sing about mice, watch mice, count mice

I AM SICK OF MICE!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Pip - I have the googly eys books from aldi too - aren't they fab!