PDA

View Full Version : ??? do schools know what cm is?

Blackhorse
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I went to my local school today to ask if I can put an add up.

I said to the lady: I am a local childminder and would like to...blablabla

She then asks: Where will the childminding be taking place?

erm... in my home!!

she said unless the childminding takes place at the school I cannot advertise for it...

Pipsqueak
10-06-2009, 08:57 PM
can't complain about our local schools - they are good.

wheres the working in partnership - could you not go and see the head?

Lady Haha
This really annoys me about the school I pick up from too! They wouldn't allow me to put an ad up as then they would be seen to be 'condoning me'!!!

Yet, they put up ads for the after school club and church messy play sessions etc!!!

Don't these silly people realise that we are all working together! There are parents at the school I pick up from who have only found me because now that I have so many mindees I'm hard to miss! Some parents don't look on the CIS site! It just seems so obvious that the best place to advertise your after school vacancies is the school!

Tippy Toes
My local school where more than happy to put my poster up.

The library on the otherhand said as I would be getting paid for childminding I could not put a poster on their noticeboard!

Makes no sense!!!:rolleyes:

Mouse
10-06-2009, 09:01 PM
This really annoys me about the school I pick up from too! They wouldn't allow me to put an ad up as then they would be seen to be 'condoning me'!!!

Yet, they put up ads for the after school club and church messy play sessions etc!!!

Don't these silly people realise that we are all working together! There are parents at the school I pick up from who have only found me because now that I have so many mindees I'm hard to miss! Some parents don't look on the CIS site! It just seems so obvious that the best place to advertise your after school vacancies is the school!

That's the same as our school & nursery. They say we can't put up adverts as we're private businesses, but they allow holiday clubs and even private nurseries to advertise. They even put details about them in their newsletters & send leaflets home with the kids (though I don't know if the nursery has to pay to do this). They won't even keep a record of our details incase a parent asks about childcare, but they will pass on the phone number for one 'favoured' childminder.

wellybelly
10-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Im getting there with the schools, but it has been hard. In the beginning, there was no love lost, but now they've alled me up and passed me peoples details who are looking for childcare, and they helped me out in an emergency situation with my own child, and kept the children who go to that school behind till parents picked them up.

ORKSIE
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
When i have had spaces my local school and nursery have been more than happy to put up advertisments for me.
The teacher/ group leader, even gives me messages to pass on to mum.

clairelou
10-06-2009, 09:10 PM
i had this with our doctors surgery, they said no adverts as if anything happened to the child they would be liable as they advertised me????
what a load of rubbish!!
they have no problem advertising playgroup mums and tots and the after school club

John
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
I been around most of the schools in my town about 25 and only one nursery did put a little advert up but took it down when they started a after school club? and i thought the children services etc wanted to let parents know what child care places are around for children, but when i took my nvq3 about 5 years ago the tutor said in all child care places you will find money and profit comes first then the children, makes you think was he right.

John.

Pipsqueak
10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
If this is happening - ie the schools/nurseries are allowing certain people/businss to advertise but not others get in touch with your CDO and/or Early Years team - if they are any good they should knock them into shape and make them realise the error of their ways!!!

In return for their 'helpful' attitude I would stand at the gates with my flyers and hand them out:D

Chatterbox Childcare
11-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Under the law they are supposed to be building links with the community. Go back to the eduction department at the council and ask them their policy.

littletreasures
11-06-2009, 06:34 AM
We have found this too. The school my kids used to go to were great and always put people in touch with me if they were looking for a childminder. I haven't collected from there for about 2 years now and I am still getting the occasional phone call. If I was desperate for children I could do that school run as well.

The school I collect from now have an after school club that collects the children, so they won't give out a list of childminders. Again, if I needed children I would complain.

A lot of the children's parents in my mindees class didn't even realise I was her childminder, they thought I was her Mum. I take that as a real compliment, but if I was looking for kids would be quite hard, I would then shout from the rooftops that I was a minder.

To work in a school and not know what a childminder is I find amazing. I would go higher.

loocyloo
11-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by blackandsparkly

[QUOTE=Mouse;444845]That's the same as our school & nursery. They say we can't put up adverts as we're private businesses, but they allow holiday clubs and even private nurseries to advertise. They even put details about them in their newsletters & send leaflets home with the kids (though I don't know if the nursery has to pay to do this). QUOTE]

thats what it is like here too! apparently, they can't be seen to be favouring any particular childminder ... but we've even asked as a group, but no, 'cos that would discriminate against those who are not part of the group ( their choice not to join! we welcome everyone! ) :angry:

yet, childminders offer the ONLY wraparound care in our area !!! so much for working with other professionals!

uf353432
11-06-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm quite lucky with my local school, they let me distribute a leaflet through the monthly newsletter, I have a poster in the preschool notice board and the receptionist has my business cards in case anyone enquires. There are a couple more childminders servicing the school but they don't link up with the school for advertising - I am firmly in the if you don't ask you don't get camp. They drew the line at linking to my website though :laughing: