PDA

View Full Version : Early Years Register: Preparing for your regestration visit

mrsslosh
10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Okay so I am now really doubting my ability to be able to deliver the EYFS I have 3 children of my own and do all of the things required 100 times a day without really thinking. I am currently trying to fill my SEF out and am having real trouble putting my practice into words. For example: -

What might a typical day be like? How will you plan activities to ensure you meet the needs of the children if they are different ages, such as a baby under 12 months, a two year old and a four year old?

Well as you know I am a mother to a four month old, a two year old and a six year old, so I already do things with them and divide my time out between them. However the EYFS states in its Dispositions and attitues section under planning and resourcing for a birth - 11 months that I should "Devote unintterupted time to babies when you can play with them and be fully focused". I very rarely get uninteruppted time with my four month old I just make sure that Two year old and six year old join in and help when I am playing with the baby.

So even though I know I am more than capable and willing I am just struggling to convey the practice into what Ofsted need!!!!!!!!!

HELP PLEASE :eek:

sarah707
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Best advice ... stop being so specific! Here are some thoughts while baby sleeps...

The Sef is there for you to show your good practice. You need to show that you a great childminder and put it into words that...

1. Say what you do;

2. Say how it benefits the children.

I promote hand washing for all the children... WHY? To ensure children understand the benefits of hand washing and to reduce the risk of cross contamination;

I encourage children to join me in the kitchen when I am cooking... WHY? To support children's learning and development as cooking meets all 6 areas of learning and development in a fun way;

I spend time playing Peepo and other one-to-one games with the baby... WHY? To support the baby's sense of self and as someone independent of others; to enhance baby's language development... etc;

I encourage children to use the outside area as much as possible... WHY? To promote their independence and learning about outside. They can also do more physical activities when outside... blah, blah, blah...

The Sef is your chance to blow your own trumpet and shine :D

Minstrel
10-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm confused :panic:

Doesn't take much I know...

But are you completing your Preparation for pre- reg visit booklet or your SEF? You've mentioned both but they are different documents. Only I didnt think we had to start the SEF till we began minding and if not I'm panicing because I haven't started mine!!!!!!!

mrsslosh
10-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Minstrel and Sarah

Yes I am talking about the preperation for pre-reg sorry for the confusion I thought that they were one in the same.

After taking Sarah's advice I am taking a step back to breath and discuss tomorrow with my course tutor and other students. The oroblem I have is I want to be good at everything straight away and I know to get it right and understand it I have to take baby steps!!!!

Still confused tho :panic:

sarah707
10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry did I answer the wrong question? :rolleyes:

Ok well bank those ideas for when you are doing the Sef! :laughing:

Good idea about talking to your tutor, I hope you sort it out :D

Minstrel
10-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Sorry did I answer the wrong question? :rolleyes:

Ok well bank those ideas for when you are doing the Sef! :laughing:

Good idea about talking to your tutor, I hope you sort it out :D

No you didn't Sarah just crossed wires.

We all bank everything you say because you always say it in ways we actually understand!