PDA

View Full Version : soooo???

gegele
10-06-2009, 10:11 AM
some of you are going to think i'm totally obsessed LOL but did you harvest your potatoes yet???

i still don't know what to do as flower buds fell without flowering!!!

i really want to harvest today! if you done it, how did you do it? did you get much??

i'm sad i know but it's the first thing i ever grew!!:blush:

MissTinkerbell
10-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Can't really help as don't know when you planted them or what type of potaoes you've planted - are they new potatoes?

Ours are flowering but my dad says they are not ready to dig up yet as have to wait until all flowers have fell off.

I'd just dig up one plant with a garden fork and see what you have. If you've not got many or they're not very big leave them for a few more weeks.

jellytot
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
mine havnt flowered, but was wanting to know what I was to do with them, the plants are so big they are almost leaning on the floor now

gegele
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
they're the potatoes from the competition thiny.i think we were supposed to take out the 6th but as i have flower problem i don't know what to do
:blush:

LOOPYLISA
10-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Ithought you were talking about farmtown on facebook then :laughing:

Sorry can't help, but my lettue we have been growing are ready to pick :thumbsup:

Not sure about all the other stuff :rolleyes:

jellytot
10-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I didnt even realise when we were supposed to harvest, guess we wil have to wait for someone else to come along. I wonder why I never got any flowers :panic:

gegele
10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
st checked on the potatoes council website and they already have the winner...!!! so does i mean that i can surely ??? i think i'm going to do a bag and see what 's in if it's not good i'llleave the others a bit more :blush:

gegele
10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
i had one flower 1day but the buds seems to all have fell off without opening!!!:( i don't understand!!!
:blush:

jellytot
10-06-2009, 10:55 AM
oh guess I wasnt paying attention to dates of comp then :blush:

jellytot
10-06-2009, 10:57 AM
so do you think we dig up now or wait for flowers?

gegele
10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
i went in the garden, deytermined....it bucketed down!!!! so i take it as a message from up above...:not today josephine ah ah ah aha h

jellytot
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

better listen to the man who knows :laughing: :laughing:

wellybelly
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
All my vegetables have been attacked by slugs, i didnt wnat to put anything down (like pellets) as its a risk to the children. I wanted the kids to be able to take part in their care. All ruined now! I''ll try again .... one day!

jellytot
10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
I have just had a nosey at mine and a little dig :blush: , there are potatos there, they are about new potato size. the one I saw was like a small new potato. think I mat leave them a bit longer.

Can anyone remember when we planted them?

manjay
10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't dig them up if they haven't flowered! Be patient;) . I didn't get freebie ones but I did chit and plant some at the same time as everyone else. My foliage is huge and flower buds have just started to appear but they are not ready yet. It depends on the variety as to how long they take from planting to harvesting (and the weather of course). I reckon mine will be another couple of weeks.

Wellybelly - you can get child/pet friendly slug pellets but we use the beer catcher! Mine looks like a frog and you fill the inside with beer (or sugar solution) and the slugs are attracted to it. Every morning I have to empty it before the mindees get here as I would hate for them to think of me as a slug killer:D . None of my veggies have been attacked this year

jellytot
10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
so how unfair is it of the competion people to have a winner when some of our crops arnt ready yet

miffy
10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
so how unfair is it of the competion people to have a winner when some of our crops arnt ready yet

They had a closing date for the competition so I suppose that's it.

They weren't to know that ours weren't ready :laughing:

Miffy xx

The Juggler
10-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I have just had a nosey at mine and a little dig :blush: , there are potatos there, they are about new potato size. the one I saw was like a small new potato. think I mat leave them a bit longer.

don't the potatoes starting peeping above ground when they are ready, like onions. I'm rubbish. I plant every year but apart from watering haven't really got a clue what I'm doing. Mine are just starting to flower now.

jellytot
10-06-2009, 01:32 PM
They had a closing date for the competition so I suppose that's it.

They weren't to know that ours weren't ready :laughing:

Miffy xx

but ours cant be the only ones that arnt ready surely

I want to have a sulk :( :( .................

there over it now :laughing: :laughing:

gegele
11-06-2009, 09:51 AM

we planted them mid march. the winning school had 4 something kilo, thta's about 2pound of potatoes per bag so they can't be a big varieties!!

the thing is i don't see anymore flower buds so i don't think they'l ever flowerish more than that 1 flower!!!!:( :( :( :(

can please someone say " go on Gegele empty those bags" please:laughing:

mandy moo
11-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Ithought you were talking about farmtown on facebook then :laughing:
Sorry can't help, but my lettue we have been growing are ready to pick :thumbsup:

Not sure about all the other stuff :rolleyes:

So did I, lol
And yes I know its sad, But Im a farm town addict.....

gegele
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
i refuse to start farm town or i know i'll be on computer half the night. you're talking to someone who use to have a zoo on cbeebies website..!!!!:blush: and i was so proud when my animals were doing well ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah :blush:

mrs c
11-06-2009, 02:05 PM
When I grow potatoes I usually wait until the leaves die back before lifting them. You should also keep the soil earthed up over the potatoes so they do not get exposed to daylight as this makes them turn green.

LOOPYLISA
11-06-2009, 03:13 PM
i refuse to start farm town or i know i'll be on computer half the night. you're talking to someone who use to have a zoo on cbeebies website..!!!!:blush: and i was so proud when my animals were doing well ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bananabrain
11-06-2009, 05:37 PM
All my vegetables have been attacked by slugs, i didnt wnat to put anything down (like pellets) as its a risk to the children. I wanted the kids to be able to take part in their care. All ruined now! I''ll try again .... one day!

Exactly the same!!!

I had {in the past tense} spring onions,carrots,basil,parsley,radishes and mixed salad leaves. Was hoping for some nice fresh salads with the children in the summer hols.:laughing:

Anyone know if there is anything to stop them being munched that is safe for the children? Oh and safe for cats.

All that is left is a solitary tomato plant,was going to get a pepper plant but didn't get round to it. a single solitary tomato and lots of chewed stalks:laughing: Reckon it's snails though not slugs. I know you can put down shallow trays of beer and the slugs get drunk,fall in and drown. Maybe I should have done that:laughing: