PDA

View Full Version : unwell child

TRACEY1969
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
The mom rung me on Sunday said her son was in hospital with breathing problems (i have him Tus, Wed, Thurs) on Monday she said her came out Sunday night and was well enough to come to me on Tuesday, i said ok. Tuesday came and he didn't look well and me me pellicilin for him (fill paper work in) and said he hasn't got any infections. The day went on and he wasn't himself at all, coughing sneezing everywhere. I told her i couldn't accept him as he is unwell and bowls are loose due to medication i think. I have other children in my care and do school runs she said this is all to do with teething and she couldn't see why i couldn't accept him. I am doing the right thing, i have to think of the other children in my care and he is the youngest 1 years. Mom isn't happy with me and said she will text me if she is bringing him tomorrow i said if he is the same please leave him at home, her reply is what wait till all him teeth has come through and then send him back to you.

Allie
10-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Stick to your guns. We all know the difference between minor teething difficulties and illness

Allie

westbrom44
10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Yes, I agree, he needs to be at home with his mum.

A nusery wouldnt have him anyway. I cant understand why she wouldnt want to say at home with him.

TRACEY1969
10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes, I agree, he needs to be at home with his mum.

A nusery wouldnt have him anyway. I cant understand why she wouldnt want to say at home with him.

this is a parent where if she's not at work i still childmind for her drops off bang on the hour to the hour. I don't accept children if they have infections but the new infectious document states you can accept after 24 hrs. I haven't given my parents the up to date one yet as i don't agree with it and i have told my delvopment officer this, am i wrong in doing this.

angeldelight
10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
You are right not to have the child

What suprises me more is that she does not want to spend time with her little one when hes just recently been in hospital - what a shame

Stick to your guns

Teething is different to being ill

Angel xx

Tippy Toes
10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree with angeldelight.

Why would you not want to stay with your baby when he has recently been into hospital with breathing difficulties?!

Like everyone has said, you know the difference betwean teething and other illness. To be honest if he has just come from hospital with 'breathing difficulities' I would be too worried to have him for a little while.

Hope everything works out ok for you xx

Pudding Girl
10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Can I ask what new 24hrs document?

miffy
10-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Can I ask what new 24hrs document?

I was wondering that too!

Miffy xx

TRACEY1969
10-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I was wondering that too!

Miffy xx

the infectious diseases says you can have any child after 24hrs if they are on antibiotics.

TRACEY1969
10-06-2009, 01:43 PM
the parent has just rung he has been back to the doctors due to his diarrheoa they have took him off his penacillin and she isn't bringing him tomorrow due to this as he might have astma now so i will have him back Tuesday.

Pudding Girl
10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
the infectious diseases says you can have any child after 24hrs if they are on antibiotics.

got a link to that please? didn't know there was new guidance out.

LittleMissSparkles
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
i have alarm bells ringing in both ears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been in this position twice now each time ending no pleasent, you have to stick to your guns, diarhea is diarhea due to teething or not in my book especially if on top of that they are unwell then they should not be sending the child to you, give her a another copy of your Health & Safety/Sickness policy and reiterate that you have to safe guard ALL children in your care including her's and that you are unable to have an unwell child even if they are not contagious if they are unwell it is not your responcibility to look after them but the parents, i know my children only want their mum when they are unwell I cant understand why some parents would rather work than look after their sick children .....

clorogue
11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I am a bit lost on this - if he hasn't got any infections why he is on antibiotics?

mrs c
11-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Was it actually antibiotics or another medication?

TRACEY1969
11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
she was very vivid when i asked her about the penicilin he was on. I know that you don't have penicilin if you are teething. She has kept him off today (Thursday) as a precursion i said ok but i wouldn't of had him anyway as hes not well and said she will bring him back next week. I also said i am doing a review and i will be giving her a new welcome pack.

michellethegooner
11-06-2009, 04:15 PM
when any of my mindees are on antibiotics I always ask parents to put in writing what they are for.

I would have explained to parent that children who are teething are not given antibiotics and I know they can have 'loose' stools but haven't had any that have had a cough sneeze, breathing difficulties or on antibiotics when teething :rolleyes: I was under the impression that antibiotics WERE for an infection...not sure I understand why baby is on medication if he has no infection :rolleyes:

Pudding Girl
11-06-2009, 10:31 PM
exactly!

Parents must think you were born yesterday! :rolleyes: :panic: