PDA

View Full Version : A query..

MissTinkerbell
10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
To all of you who went through this last September....

I've had an enquiry from a parent who would like me to have her little girl before and after school from September, when she starts in Reception. I have the 5-8 space so she is coming to see me next week.

However I'm not sure when she actually qualifies as an over 5? I only have one under 5 space and this is being filled by a 13 month old little boy who replaces my current mindee at the end of August (contracts already signed and deposit paid).

She only wants me to have her little girl on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The school starts back on Wednesday 3rd September and the little ones do 3 mornings followed by 2 afternoons and then full time after that.

Now I know that she will be classed as 5 for the purpose of numbers once she is attending 10 sessions but will I need to apply for a variation for the 2 days that she is only doing half days?

There is no continuity of care as this is a new child - are Ofsted likely to grant one in this case - have already had one turned down for a full timer because it wasn't a continuity of care issue?

Thanks

Tippy Toes
10-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Im really not sure im sorry.:panic:

I read the post and didnt like to leave no comment.

Could you call them and ask for some advice.

Im sorry im not much help, hopefully someone on here will have the answer your looking for x:)

LittleMissSparkles
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
If they are at school for 10 sessions ie full time they are classed as over 5 but you still have to meet eyfs until their 5th birthday does that make sence ???? hope so , someone else might be able to explain it better xxx

MissTinkerbell
10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Knew I had to do EYFS - just not sure whether I need the variation for the 2/3 days I will have her when she only does half a day. Seems a lot of hassle for just three days!!!

Chimps Childminding
10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I think you are right that she will be in the under 5's bracket until she starts full time (10 sessions), but not sure whether you would be granted a variation (sorry, not much help really), but you can only try!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Nix
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
She'll be in your under fives until she does ten sessions at school. If you don't have a space I would suggest writing to ofsted for a variation as it will only be for a short time...

Hope this helps, even just a little bit!!

madasahatter
10-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I would definitely go down the variation route. Ofsted are very aware that schools often have quite inconvenient transition phases into reception and I would hope would be accomodating for those two days.
At our local school the transitions last 4 weeks:eek: In week one the children do 'visits' for one morning and one afternoon. Then for 3 weeks the older reception children attend for mornings until 12.45, so have lunch at school whilst the younger reception children attend afternoons only from 1pm for 2 weeks and then from 11.45 for the last week so they are having lunch at school. An absolute nightmare if you have 1 child starting reception let alone 2 (which I had the previous year), especially when 1 was born early in the school year and one late so in the final week of transition I had to go to school at 8.45, 11.45, 1pm and 3.15....oh and on various days I also had a nursery run or a playgroup run (depending on the children attending).

beckyteddy
10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
How long will she be doing half days for? Is it only for that first week? Surely they would grant a variation (if one is needed) for such a short time.

Also, I'm not sure exactly, but maybe she will be classed in the over 5's category from the begining of the term...........even though she won't be attending the full 10 sessions immediatley? I'd just check with Ofsted to be sure x

MissTinkerbell
15-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I'll only be having her on a Tues/Thurs so she will only be half days for 1 Tuesday and 2 Thursdays. Mum is coming to see me tomorrow afternoon so I might try and ring Ofsted now.. will let you know.

Madasahatter - you must have felt like camping out by the school with all those comings and goings!!

MissTinkerbell
15-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Update ---- have just spoken to Ofsted. Need to apply for a variation for those 4 days but apparently they are being flexible and he seemed to think that because it was only for 4 days that it should be OK.

I'll speak to mum tomorrow and then try and get it sorted. Will keep you posted.