PDA

View Full Version : could you just clarify for me

mozarella
09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Sorry, so much questions from me and I dont reply to many of you yet but my mind is so focusing and getting the right start in what I am doing and dont feel like i am experienced enough yet to advise you all but I do appreciate your help.

I do a diary on what happens in the day to the parents so they know what had happened and they also writte in it what they feel I need to know: is that the learning journal?

I also do a scrap book with photos / observation in which the children helps me doing the "montage" and also I have a seprate folder with the same photos but where I writte much more about observation / planning, which area of development it involves and what would the next step be.

Do you think it is ok?

Thank you so much

Moz

venus89
09-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Sorry, so much questions from me and I dont reply to many of you yet but my mind is so focusing and getting the right start in what I am doing and dont feel like i am experienced enough yet to advise you all but I do appreciate your help.

I do a diary on what happens in the day to the parents so they know what had happened and they also writte in it what they feel I need to know: is that the learning journal?

I also do a scrap book with photos / observation in which the children helps me doing the "montage" and also I have a seprate folder with the same photos but where I writte much more about observation / planning, which area of development it involves and what would the next step be.

Do you think it is ok?

Thank you so much

Moz

Soundsa good to me.
I'd suggest the 'learning journal' is the last one - photos, observations etc. The other is your daily diary
:D

venus89
09-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Soundsa good to me.
I'd suggest the 'learning journal' is the last one - photos, observations etc. The other is your daily diary
:D

I didn't know I was Italian!! :laughing:

Tatjana
09-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I didn't know I was Italian!! :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

xx

sarah707
09-06-2009, 07:01 PM
You NEED 2 things -

1. A home setting liaison book / daily diary ... something that goes home every session and comes back the next day. It should say what the child is doing / eating / sleeping etc and parents should be encouraged to contribute;

2. A learning journey ... with photos, notes about Eyfs, next steps ideas, personal planning, notes from home or other settings etc;

You MIGHT like to also have -

A photo album to show how your setting as a whole meets the requirements of the eyfs ...

Hth :D

venus89
09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
You NEED 2 things -

1. A home setting liaison book / daily diary ... something that goes home every session and comes back the next day. It should say what the child is doing / eating / sleeping etc and parents should be encouraged to contribute;

2. A learning journey ... with photos, notes about Eyfs, next steps ideas, personal planning, notes from home or other settings etc;

You MIGHT like to also have -

A photo album to show how your setting as a whole meets the requirements of the eyfs ...

Hth :D

Is this actually a requirement now? I thought it was optional, but desirable?

moogster1a
10-06-2009, 07:24 AM
You don't NEED either of those. They are desirable. personally, I'm happy to lose my 'good' status for satisfactory at my next inspection rather than going along with writing learning journey tosh. What a waste of time!

atmkids
10-06-2009, 07:33 AM
At the moment I do a daily diary with lots of photos and a separate assessments book relating to the EYFS. Personally I'm finding this is too much and as of September I shall be doing learning journeys which will basically be all of the above put together but without so much writing. More wow moments etc. rather than EVERYTHING they do. The only time I would ever go back to doing a daily diary would be for babies to let the parents know about sleeps and nappy changes etc.

Chatterbox Childcare
10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
You don't NEED either of those. They are desirable. personally, I'm happy to lose my 'good' status for satisfactory at my next inspection rather than going along with writing learning journey tosh. What a waste of time!

I don't have daily diaries and I got an outstanding in liasing with parents so it isn't a necessity. Just extra work I think.

Pipsqueak
10-06-2009, 07:38 AM

It might be a load of 'tosh' to you but to others, they might consider it good/best practice and it suits their setting just fine.
As you say you are prepared to be downgraded because you consider it unnecessary and thats fine if that what suits you.

My theory is - you get out of this job what you are willing to put into it.