PDA

View Full Version : EYFS - Planning help needed

Toothfairy
09-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I hope someone can help me, I am fine doing the observations and linking them to the EYFS but what I struggle with is planning and moving on from the observation.

For example, how would you plan for the following observations......

1) 'J' (aged 2) drew patterns on the magna doodle using magnets, he then found if you pulled the slider accross, it erases the picture.

2) 'J' (aged 2) used the toy phone and pretended to talk on it. He picked the hand set up and said Bye Bye and then put the hand set down. 'J' then passed the phone to me to talk into.

3) 'J' (ages 2) whilst playing with the dolls, kissed a doll and placed it into the pushchair. He then started to push the pushchair along the floor, he then looked back at me and said Bye Bye and waved.

4) A piece of lego had gone under the sofa. 'J' took a book and pushed it under the sofa and with a sweeping motion pushed the piece of lego out from under the sofa. He then continued to build his tower using the piece of lego he had retrieved.

5) When passing a Citreon Picasso, 'J' calledout 'Mamas car, Mamas car'. Even though it was not his mums car, he had reconnised that she drove a Citreon Picasso model.

6) At softplay, 'J' climed the slide, then waited patiently while the boy in front slid down. 'J' then took his turn and came down the slide after the other boy was safely out of the way.

I have another 4 which I am struggling with too if anyone can help me. :(

Chatterbox Childcare
09-06-2009, 05:34 PM
You don't have to link every observation you see. Just read through the eyfs book and see if this fits in anywhere

i.e. the telephone will be under ict

sarah707
09-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I hope someone can help me, I am fine doing the observations and linking them to the EYFS but what I struggle with is planning and moving on from the observation.

For example, how would you plan for the following observations......

1) 'J' (aged 2) drew patterns on the magna doodle using magnets, he then found if you pulled the slider accross, it erases the picture.

Is it the first time he's done this? If so it's more of a wow moment than an observation. It will link to physical development and KUW as he is learning about cause and effect. For his next steps you could work with magnets... maybe on trains?

2) 'J' (aged 2) used the toy phone and pretended to talk on it. He picked the hand set up and said Bye Bye and then put the hand set down. 'J' then passed the phone to me to talk into.

Well he's sharing, so that links with Psed. Look at the eyfs for his age and stage and you'll be able to link it more specifically. If he likes phones you could set up a phone answering role play scenario or read books about phones or go to visit a phone box or buy a toy mobile for the toy box... things like that. If he is speaking, you could link that to Cll and think about how to develop his language with your questioning eg are you saying bye bye to granny / mummy etc?

3) 'J' (ages 2) whilst playing with the dolls, kissed a doll and placed it into the pushchair. He then started to push the pushchair along the floor, he then looked back at me and said Bye Bye and waved.

Again is this really newsworthy or just something the child does every day? If it's the first time he's starting to pretend you'll find a link in CD ... and you could set up role play shopping so he goes off with dolly etc to the shops with a list and a bag and says bye and hello when he comes back... little ones enjoy that kind of thing

4) A piece of lego had gone under the sofa. 'J' took a book and pushed it under the sofa and with a sweeping motion pushed the piece of lego out from under the sofa. He then continued to build his tower using the piece of lego he had retrieved.

5) When passing a Citreon Picasso, 'J' calledout 'Mamas car, Mamas car'. Even though it was not his mums car, he had reconnised that she drove a Citreon Picasso model.

6) At softplay, 'J' climed the slide, then waited patiently while the boy in front slid down. 'J' then took his turn and came down the slide after the other boy was safely out of the way.

I have another 4 which I am struggling with too if anyone can help me. :(

I hope those give you ideas.

Keep referring back to the eyfs - it really is an invaluable resource :D

Toothfairy
09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I feel realy deflated now, I thought I was doing the observation and links OK and just having trouble with the Planning. But by what you are saying, i'm not even doing the observations properly. :(

My observations arn't newsworthy! :(

sarah707
09-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't think you are doing anything wrong!

I don't know your children so can't possibly comment on that.

I was only asking because there are an awful lot of observations there and if you are doing that many I would wonder over how long.

If they are a months worth for 3 or 4 children and they are saying new things the child has done or things that will make parents sit up and think awww etc then great ...

All I'm saying is don't spend lots of time writing down things that aren't saying anything...

Oh gosh does that make sense??

I'll try again... when you write a child's learning journey folder, you are showing a journey. The child does or says something new or exciting or something you really want to share with parents... the notes go in their learning journey and you write it up with Eyfs links, add a photo, discuss with parents, think about next steps etc.

It's like going to the farm and taking loads of photos of the children stroking animals... nice photos but they're not saying a lot. Now if you take photos of the children AND add comments saying 'child x said the rabbit's fur was soft' and link it to Eyfs learning about textures OR 'child y commented on how loud the cow's moo was' and link it to Eyfs about new words learned (CLL) OR 'child z came back to the setting and got out the toy farm. He was inspired to role play using the animals' and link it to Psed - role play.... now those are photos that also say something about what the child has learned with you.

Does that make better sense or should I go away now? :ohdear:

Sorry to confuse :D