PDA

View Full Version : Retainer and Busy Bees

charleyfarley
15-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I have a couple of questions and I know they have probably been asked before many times but haven't really got time to search for the answers.

I've had a phone call off a parent wanting care for her 5 month old but not starting till Sept

She also mentioned Busy Bees vouchers to me of which I've never dealt with so don't know much about.

So first question

How much of retainer do you all charge?
I've never had to charge one before as children have always started straight away.
I suppose I feel guilty about charging her to much.

Next question

These busy bees vouchers?
I know I would have to register but how do I do this.

I really just want to be prepared when they come for their visit by explaining how it works to them also as they don't know either.

Thanks for reading

Carol xxx

angeldelight
15-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi Carol

Busy bee vouchers are good I get paid by these from one parent

http://www.busybeesvouchers.com/

You can register there

I never ask for a retainer

I ask for a deposit if someone is starting a few mths down the line

A month fees - none refundable if they do change their mind

It comes off their first month minding if they do take the place

I know a lot do charge retainers I never have so Im sure everyone will give you advice on that

Good luck let us know how it goes

Angel xx

miffy
15-02-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm just registering with busy bees for a parent and it seems straight forward

You can register online or fill in a form

I don't charge retainers either so can't help you there - those that I know that do usually charge half fee

Good luck

Miffy xx

gailee
15-02-2008, 09:08 AM
i use busy bees vouchers i've had no problems with them! i also i've had a parent phone asking for 2 child places for March (of end) 6 months and 3 years old and i've never had to ask for deposit before ? but i'm learning it's mazing how many people say yes for the places and don't keep use them so in the mean time i'm saying no to new enquirys and losing out !! and i dont know how much to charge as a deposit?? 2 children 5 days a week and 8.5 hours a day lots a lot of deposit to ask?? any help would also be grateful
gail

angeldelight
15-02-2008, 09:12 AM
If you charge a deposit for the first month it would come off their first childminding month when they start so although it sounds expensive it is only paying for what they are going to be getting anyway

I would always ask for a deposit even if it were only £50 and make it none refundable -make it clear if they change their mind they will not get this deposit back
Also get them to sign something so they understand this

Parents are less likely to let you down if they pay a deposit

Angel xx

susi513
15-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Retainer is usually 1/2 fees (NCMA refer to 1/2 fees, so guess its easier for people to follow that). Some charge as much as 2/3, others accept a low fixed amount eg £20 a week. Some childminders will waive the retainer until they have to turn someone else away, so if they don't get any other enquiries, no retainer would be charged.

If you charge a retainer then the parent should be able to use the place (by topping up the payment to make full fees for time booked). Best to put in your contract how much notice they need to give (eg book the week before). If you are closed for sickness, holiday or use the place for another child you should not charge the retainer for the days the place was unavailable to them. If you decide to go out/have holiday when they have not booked their retained place then you can still charge the retainer fee (as long as you have agreed that they must give you x notice if they want to use their retained place at any time).

I have 3 parents pay by Busy Bees. When it works, it works well. Have been paid late before but Busy Bees paid the late fees eventually. I tell parents that I will give any voucher scheme a trial but if I don't get the payment by the agreed date they will be billed my late fees and I reserve the right to decline any voucher scheme that doesn't work to my satisfaction.

HTH

deeb66
15-02-2008, 09:20 AM
I think you have to work out what you would normally get paid for that place for the 6 months and work out a percentage that both you and the parents are happy with.

I don't usually charge retainers myself......but that is because I don't usually hold a place that long.

In these sort of circumstances I tell the parent to contact me in 3 months time and then we can sort it out if I still have a vacancy......but then I am lucky in that being fairly close to London and Heathrow airport work is really good.......obviously it depends on what aea you are in.

LittleMissSparkles
15-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I have just agreed a retainer fee with parents for exactly the same situation, want baby girl to start sept. we originally agreed July start but nana was bit put out that she wasnt looking after baby anymore july to sept so we have gone back to original plan of sept. Retainer fee worked out to be £1200 for 6 months but I couldnt justify charging them that much and we agreed on half of that so £600 and contracts to be drawn up at least a week prior to contract starting. I wouldnt normally hold a place for 6 months but parents were eager that they did not loose the place as I only have one place left which just hapened to be the day they wanted :)

hope this helps xxx

charleyfarley
15-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks everyone

Took your advice and asked for 4 weeks fees as deposit if they decide to take the place, which will be taken off their first months bill.

Thanks for the link Angel I had a look before parents came.

Well I think the meeting went well but you never can tell.

Although Charley suddenly came down with an ear infection and got worse throughout the day so much so Daz had to take her the drs just before parents were due.

She was really poorly and only wanted me and there was I waiting for parents to come.

Apparently she was sick outside drs poor mite.

She's been asleep on and off since getting back.

Anyway Mitchell had his good head on when parents came so that was a blessing and little L was a little darling.

I really want him now so I know I will be disappointed if I don't get him and they choose someone else.

Anyway thanks again everyone

Carol xxx

miffy
15-02-2008, 10:21 PM
When will they let you know?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Miffy xx

angeldelight
16-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Fingers crossed for you Carol

Hope Charley feels better soon

Angel xx

deeb66
16-02-2008, 02:47 PM
My fingers are also crossed for you Carol.

Hope Charley feels better soon

Heaven Scent
20-02-2008, 02:55 PM
:laughing: When on my ICP course I was advised to charge a small deposit for everyone but to agree to either keep it or to refund it on the final payment so that if parents ever disappear or don't pay well you've had something. Also if you have their money they are less likely to disappear -even a small amount does it.

With regard to retainers to hold a place open I cannot bring myself to charge a large amount but will charge more or less the same as a deposit but won't refund it.

Does that make sense?

Celine

charleyfarley
03-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Well after not hearing from the parents I thought they had decided against me caring for lo but I bumped into mom today and she was very apologetic for not phoning as it has been over two weeks.

She began explaining they hadn't been to see anyone else and she really wants me to have L. Hubby is just dragging his feet a bit in sorting it out.

September is a while off yet so he thinks they have loads of time before she goes back to work. Mom however doesn't want to lose the place with me.

I assured her the place was hers but we would need to sort the contracts soon.

She's discussing it with her hubby tonight so hopefully contracts will be signed soon.

Then I'll have the joy of buying yet another buggy, a triple one.......

Carol xx

childminder54
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a couple of questions and I know they have probably been asked before many times but haven't really got time to search for the answers.

I've had a phone call off a parent wanting care for her 5 month old but not starting till Sept

She also mentioned Busy Bees vouchers to me of which I've never dealt with so don't know much about.

So first question

How much of retainer do you all charge?
I've never had to charge one before as children have always started straight away.
I suppose I feel guilty about charging her to much.

Next question

These busy bees vouchers?
I know I would have to register but how do I do this.

I really just want to be prepared when they come for their visit by explaining how it works to them also as they don't know either.

Thanks for reading

Carol xxx

carol what area do you live in because ive had the same question asked me for a child the same

is it the same person

thanks

veronicaxxx

Pippa
15-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I've also been wondering about retainer fees. Up until now parents have contacted me without long to go before contract starts so I have just taken a refundable deposit (equivalent to 1 weeks fees or min £50). I refund this at the end of the contract.

Now a mum has approached me and wants me to look after her baby when she reurns to work in Feb 2009. Baby is due in May so I know I should wait until it is born before discussing fees etc, but 9 months is a long time to be holding a space for her. I may well have to turn down other children during that time so think I should charge a retainer but not sure how much. What complicates things is that she is a friend so feel really mean asking her to pay money to me when in her eyes, she is not getting anything back for it!

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

charleyfarley
15-04-2008, 06:33 PM
carol what area do you live in because ive had the same question asked me for a child the same

is it the same person

thanks

veronicaxxx

I'm in Stoke on Trent Veronica, hope it isn't the same person

Carol xx

childminder54
15-04-2008, 11:28 PM
no imin sutton coldfield west midlands

veronicaxxx

miffy
16-04-2008, 06:02 AM
I've also been wondering about retainer fees. Up until now parents have contacted me without long to go before contract starts so I have just taken a refundable deposit (equivalent to 1 weeks fees or min £50). I refund this at the end of the contract.

Now a mum has approached me and wants me to look after her baby when she reurns to work in Feb 2009. Baby is due in May so I know I should wait until it is born before discussing fees etc, but 9 months is a long time to be holding a space for her. I may well have to turn down other children during that time so think I should charge a retainer but not sure how much. What complicates things is that she is a friend so feel really mean asking her to pay money to me when in her eyes, she is not getting anything back for it!

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

It's unwise to make any arrangements until the child is born - so many things can change (including whether or not mum goes back to work).

I'd ask mum to get in touch again after the birth but I wouldn't agree to hold a place atm

miffy xx

Pippa
16-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for advice Miffy.

I will definitely wait until baby is born but then it'll still be 8 - 9 months until place is needed so I'll have to talk to the mum about retainers I think.