PDA

View Full Version : how do you tell parents about ill-fitted shoes?

newandlearning
09-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi .. I know this might seem obvious.. but ever since I've looking after one child he seems to have shoes which fit for a bit and then he wears them for quiet a while when I find then literally a push to get on and a pull to get off.. about 3 weeks ago he came with some high ankled shoes which were bigger.. and guess wot?? he could get them on himself:jump for joy: .. I couldn't believe it as I didn't think he could do this skill yet.. for 2 whole days he took joy on putting his own shoes on .. and now we are back to the small fitting pair which once again I have to push on.. I've just told carer that I was finding these shoes rather tight on him and wondered if maybe he could wear the boot type ones instead as he can get these on himself which is great.. but I feel like I'm somehow being critical having to say this. I don't want the mum to think I'm subtly trying to say she should be noticing this enough to naturally be doing this.. but I do feel these shoes are too tight..
wot wud you do in this situation.?? this is the first pair of shoes I've had to say I thought were too small.. I hope the mum feels I'm working with her and not against her :panic: xx

PixiePetal
09-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I have had mindee with too small shoes before. I took her to shoe shop while I got my kids feet measured and had her measured too! Also did the thing of drawing round childs bare foot on paper, cut out strip from heel to longest toe and try fitting it in present shoe - really shows how small they are.

Parent took it as helpful and went to get new shoes. Always asked me after that and child had always gone up a half/full size :)

huggableshelly
09-06-2009, 04:51 PM
can you get away with saying that the mindee was complaining his toes were hurting and maybe his shoes are pinching him now?

sarah707
09-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I usually say the child has been complaining :D

loocyloo
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I usually say the child has been complaining :D

me too!

sometimes i say i'm finding it had to get the shoes on, maybe they need new ones? (depends upon the parents!)

xxx

Rubybubbles
09-06-2009, 06:05 PM
TBH sometimes it really goes unnoticed!! I had a lo 2 yr old and I just said he has been clumsy with his shoes

she got him done and he was 1 1/2 size bigger:eek:

madasahatter
09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I just tell them in a polite way of course....'couldn't help noticing that X's shoes are a bit tight, have you had his feet measured recently?', 'X has been complaining that his shoes were hurting when we were out walking and when I checked there didn't feel to be any growing room left'
I hate it when you tell them (and remind them) you are going out somewhere eg a farm and they send the child in inappropriate footwear. I had one come in silly toepost flipflops when we were going to the woods for a bear hunt (suspect it was the child getting her own way and having a tantrum and mum giving in though)

angeldelight
09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah I would say the child has been complaining and hope that they realise they are too tight

I have the opposite problem the child I have has shoes that are big and they fall off and he can not walk in them

I told parent and she said he will grow into them - very helpful !!

Angel xx

ORKSIE
09-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I have said to parents...I think these shoes may be a little too small, but go and get their feet measured as i may be wrong:rolleyes:

rickysmiths
09-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeah I would say the child has been complaining and hope that they realise they are too tight

I have the opposite problem the child I have has shoes that are big and they fall off and he can not walk in them

I told parent and she said he will grow into them - very helpful !!

Angel xx

Oh I have had this. One mum goes out and buys shoes without the child :panic: and then wonders why they don't fit. I never can understand except, of course, most of us do that thing called.......walking!:blush:

Bananabrain
10-06-2009, 08:29 PM
LOL

Yeh walking.

I think alot of people have forgotten how!

I always tell my mindees when they complain about the ten minute walk to school that walking is what your legs are for:laughing:

wellybelly
10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I make a general comment, without it being too insulting.

Schnakes
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Oooh - theres always one parent, isnt there, that insists on their child wearing shoes that are too big or too small!! In one particular case I ended up just buying shoes for the child myself, I was so exasperated with the situation. (No I didnt add to the parents bill - they were tight enough with money as it was!!!).

I would defo say something though - go with the suggestions you have already been given, they are excellent!

Sx

loocyloo
11-06-2009, 07:01 AM
LOL

Yeh walking.

I think alot of people have forgotten how!

I always tell my mindees when they complain about the ten minute walk to school that walking is what your legs are for:laughing:

glad its not just me who says that !!!! :laughing: (then mine ask why XYZ who live closer go in the car? - that gets me onto 'good for the environment etc!)