PDA

View Full Version : Am in need of a moan!

Millievanilli
09-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I registered back in January and am advertised on lots of websites but have only had 2 enquiries, both of which were a waste of time. Am wondering if people where I live actually need a childminder. I know you're supposed to research into it before training, but I was a SAHM before anyway so it's not as if I was giving up a job. I'm going to try advertising in shop windows but I don't want to spend too much money, some of the shops round here are £1.50 per wk. My partner says I should put leaflets through peoples doors which is a good idea but for some reason I keep putting it off! Has anyone got any words of wisdom for me?xx

Chatterbox Childcare
09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Have to checked with your local CIS/FIS to see how the enquiries are coming in?

Leaflet drops seem to work too.

Millievanilli
09-06-2009, 02:55 PM
There's a new children's centre near me, and they have childminding groups etc but I haven't been there yet. If I knew more people in my village I'm sure that'd help, my daughter goes part time to a local nursery but it's a private one and the parents come and go and all different times so I don't get a chance to chat to them.

estrelas
09-06-2009, 02:57 PM
money, some of the shops round here are £1.50 per wk.

gosh thats a lot :eek: 20p a week here

Jules27
09-06-2009, 03:41 PM
DO get motivated to do a leafllet drop, mine produced 4 enquiries and 2 signed!! Give it a go!!:thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Have you tried volunteering at mums and toddler groups to help out and get your face known,or contact social services and offer respite care.Have a word with your local health visitor and cdo and playgroups and make sure they know who you are.

manjay
09-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I would make the effort to go to local groups/ toddlers and to get to know other minders close by. All my mindees have come from word of mouth and getting yourself known in the local community is invaluable.

Hope something comes along soon for you x

The Juggler
09-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Have you tried volunteering at mums and toddler groups to help out and get your face known,or contact social services and offer respite care.Have a word with your local health visitor and cdo and playgroups and make sure they know who you are.

I've always re-registered my vacancies with social service when I have vacancies and currently have two lo's with me on the same days. Once you get well known with SS they will always come to you when they have any work.

madasahatter
09-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Everything everyone has mentioned are very good ideas. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get out there and meet people. I know it can be hard to go to new places and introduce yourself but I am sure you will be welcomed and will find new friends too.
If you don't feel confident about telling people you are a childminder when you do go out and about then I would suggest getting some T-shirts printed. A friend of mine has her logo and business name on the front and 'registered childminder' on the back. Just wearing them around the village and in the park netted her 2 full timers and 1 before and after schooler within 2 weeks of being registered.
Some schools will allow you to put up an advert (mine does in the nursery window and on the main school noticeboard. Preschools are often good for allowing you to advertise. Doctors surgeries may have a noticeboard and of course they have health visitors who are visiting lots of new parents.

Hope it picks up soon!