PDA

View Full Version : Not Ofsted.... Environmental Health Inspection!

gigglinggoblin
09-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

I know I have to register as a food business, was told they prob wouldnt come out but lady on phone said they now inspect everyone aaargh!

So... I have a tiny kitchen, not registered for kids to use. Will they have a problem with -

clutter (way too much stuff for the space but nothing I can chuck out)

washing basket

pet food bowl (no food left in it)

cleaning out the non food cupboards not often enough (i am guessing - only do them once everey month or two), actually how often are you meant to clean out food cupboards?

Anything else anyon can help me with please?

Daftbat
09-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Cupboards should be cleaned out every month - from my Food hygiene course. Can't help much with the rest as in Chesterfield they don't i nspect us anyway - in fact they are not sure what to do with the current legislation from what they told me!:eek:

Lick'le Oakes
09-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I have them coming out tomorrow to me, I have been told they inspect the cooker, microwave, fridge, freezer and especially the tempertures need to be recorded for both of them.

gigglinggoblin
09-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Brill, thanks for that, better get some timetables made up to remind myself. Hope it goes well for you tomorrow!

Ripeberry
09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I sent off my papers over 2 months ago, still not heard from them :eek: Knowing my luck they will do an inspection with no notice! :mad:

mum2two
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
It took them ages to get back to me after I's sent off the forms.

The lady who came to me was here about 10 mins!! She went through a questionnaire I'd been sent, and then walked into my kitchen, opened my fridge and that was it. My fridge is an American side by side & has the temps displayed on the front, so not sure if they look for it or not.

I had spent ages cleaning the bin, microwave, and the cupboards (well, moved the front few things to make it all look clean... :blush: ;) )

I would pick your pet food bowl up, and put it away. I pick mine up every morning before I start, then put it back down once the last child has left.

xx

grindal
09-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Am obviously to late to send you the reassurance you needed :blush:
I had my EH inspection about a month ago - and all they did was paperwork and then a very quick look in my fridge to check the temp (and I asked them to do this as I thought my cheap e bay fridge thermometer was faulty - and it was :eek: )
Nothing to it - and I now have a lovely certificate for my folder :clapping:

Rubybubbles
09-06-2009, 06:08 PM
I have been tld not yet doing it in my local area:rolleyes:

When I was in bedfordshire, I send in all the forms April 08 and phoned them Aug 08 as moving and they said, they haven't even looked at them for childminders as not important:eek:

mrs c
10-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Thank goodness our area don't need to do this. One look in my fridge and she would know I'm not on any diet :eek:

Debster
10-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I sent off my papers over 2 months ago, still not heard from them :eek: Knowing my luck they will do an inspection with no notice! :mad:

I was told by the lady I spoke to that because my business is run from a residential property they would have to give notice before they visit
Deb

wellybelly
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
They are really nice when they come out to see you and give you lots of help and advice. The chap who came to see me told me id passed my inspection as he walked into the room! He also checked the tempreture of my freezer and fridge, where toilet was and my bin. He recommended how I should use the lay out of my kitchen, he said have a raw meat, cooked foods (sandwich prep as well) and vegetable peeling area of the work top. Then that will reduce the contamination risk. I have used it like this since the inspection and it works really well.

He also recommended that I use the Food Standards Diary (which he brought me for freeeeee) as means of proving I work to the required standards. If there was ever a case made against me for food poisoning, it could be seen that I am providing good practice by using the diary - this would go in my favour.

They also wrote to me to confirm they had inspected my premises and were happy with what they saw. This is in my portfolio which I show parents.

Ripeberry
11-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Sounds great! Wonder if they'll give me a free diary as well? :)

Carol
11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Did a food and hygiene course last month and we now need to put mindees packed lunches into plastic sealed and label bags with childs name on. Dont forget baby milk not to be put on fridge door.
Carol

Lick'le Oakes
11-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Had my visit yesterday. The lady was lovely. She checked the fridge cleanliness, order and temperture, the same with the freezer. The microwave and cooker. Asked how I wipe down worktops and with what. Looked at the sink in bathroom where mindees wash their hands, she saw the individual towels etc. She looked at my policy for hygeine, illness and sickness and another one but I can't remember what! I passed :clapping: :clapping: thank goodness and she wrote on her report a high level of hygeine and all areas satisfactory. I am so releived, I am just waiting for the Ofsted visit due, my heart misses a beat when the phone rings.