PDA

View Full Version : Shall I take on more mindees? Help?

mumx3
08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

After registering only last week I have had lost of enquiries and have two families who both want me. But not sure if I should take them both?

I have my own 12month old DS and 5 yo DD and 10yo DD. I have already signed contracts with a 5yo after schoolie for Sept

I have a family with a 7mo looking to start in sept willing to pay top rate and a 50% retainer until then. 3 days

I have another family with 2 yo and 5 yo looking to start Nov. 3days. willing to pay 4 week deposit until then.

Do I take one family or both?

It means I would be fine on ratios, though knackered as I would have:

2x Under 5's on Mondays and Fridays + 3 after schoolies (5,5,10)
3x Under5's on Tues and Weds + 4 after schoolies(5,5,5,10)
1x Under 5's on Thurs + 3 after schoolies (5,5,10)

Just not sure I am up to it!

I am wondering whether to take the 7mo and hang out for one more Under 5 come November.

But I keep seeing £signs in my eyes? naughty I know.

Alibali
08-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Go for it, you'll be fine. They are staggered starting dates too so you can settle them in fine.

hollybritten
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Where have you go them all from, am strugling to find children!!

Mrs.L.C
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Sounds like my week :laughing:

However I have been doing this for over 5 years a built it up gradually.

I think you need to do a list of pros and cons

I find the more older children I have, the easier but noisier it can be. they make up games etc and need very little attention from me meaning I can give more the younger ones

It all depends on how the children behave incl your own and how you think they will take to having lots more children in the house. May be worth talking about it with them as well.

Also depends on the space you have - can you separate the younger ones from the older ones if you need to? I find the younger ones can sometimes irritate the older children and this is the most challenging time when it happens but most of the time its fine and the older children like helping

If you have some starting in Sept then you have 2 months for them to settle before the others start

try to get all my under 5's to have rest/naps at the same time so you can get a break which makes a massive difference

Getting out and about will keep you sane. I go to toddler groups with a couple of other childminders/friends and we all help each other out.

Having 3 under 5 can be hard work but it isnt too bad when you are not having all 3 5 days a week

Also you have to think, will more work come along if you dont take it now?

If its anything like here, they all come at once and hardly ever in between

Hope that helps a little but its all down to personal choice

The Juggler
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
It's hard work but worth it. If you can cope then make the money whilst you can as there are always lean times. However, just be confident you can cope. I have 3 little ones plus 4 after schoolies some days but after schoolies are 9 years x 2 and 7 with one 5. 3 little ones plus 3 x 5 years does sound a lot.

Only you know if you can do it. I've said no before but only because I felt unsafe on the walk by the road or because I know I won't be able to provide best care. I try to keep to 6 and will only do more if it involves older children but we are all different and our experienced childminding veterens can probably handle much more!

Chatterbox Childcare
09-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Majority of the day will be a max f 3 under 5 and you will cope with that easily and the rest will occupy themselves with having 3 the same age and will only need supervision.

Go for it - what do you have to lose? You sanity maybe :laughing: :laughing:

What do you have to gain? Loads and loads - confidence and of course money:clapping:

mumx3
09-06-2009, 06:53 PM
thanks all for the confidence boost.

I am more concerned about my own 3 children than coping with the numbers! I am a teacher so used to a class full of 30 at a time.

I have chatted to my kids and the 5 year old is really excited whilst the 10 year old is reluctant. I feel guilty.

Still cant decide.

kindredspirits
09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
perhaps you can win the 10yo over with the prospect of more time shopping with mum on saturday etc. i would say go for it and give notice to some if you are not coping within the settling in period.

jessie1
09-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Go for it and please please tell me where u live and I will move tomorrow

Chatterbox Childcare
09-06-2009, 09:28 PM
What will your 10 year old be doing if you do not have these extra children? They have to adjust too but maybe you can get them involved in helping to tidy up and earn extra pocket money. The always want more at this age and a bit on independance and if you are earning a bit more you could afford to do it.

mumx3
10-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Hi all.

You are all right, I think I will give it a go and make it clear to parents that the trial period is exactly that and if it is not working then I will say so and end it.

I will have another chat with my 10 year old DD. One of the main reasons for starting childminding is to be able to go on holiday. Something we have been lacking big time in recent years. My daughter is keen on Florida. If I took on these children we could afford to save for Disney. I could also agree to give her some pocket money to help out with the after schoolies.

I am now 75% going to do it. As opposed to 10% when I first posted, so you have all been a great help. Thanks

Pudding Girl
10-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Course you can cope with that :)

I have 3 under 5s often and it's no harder than 2 under 5s, honestly :)

Mrs.L.C
10-06-2009, 08:06 AM
My daughter is almost 10 and I always worried how she would be with the other children esp those younger than she is when she started to get older (I started minding when she was 4). Currently she gets on very very well with the 5 year old. She has got on with all the children I care for and has formed some very close friends from it.

I think its just reassurance that you wont expect her to share her toys or to allow the other children to go on her room and I can imagine its quite nerve racking have children you dont know around you but im sure they will soon start to get on.

My daughter is told to keep anything she doesnt want the other to touch in her room. She ocasionaly goes to her room to watch a dvd to get a way from minded children but generaly she loves it

Maybe your daughter can help you if she wanted and be a mini assistant?

mumx3
10-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Go for it and please please tell me where u live and I will move tomorrow

Sorry forgot to say...I am in North London and I have advertised on Netmums and mumsnet as well as Gumtree and I registered with Google....all free. I have a website too, and word of mouth.

If you google "childminder and my town" my website is top of the list. It has worked really well.

The other thing I cannot believe is the money they are willing to pay. £50 per day per child. They didnt flinch. In fact BOTH families said they thought it was very fair. I was in shock. I couldnt afford to pay that for childcare.

I only said £50 to try my luck expecting to negotiate £45. But when they seemed keen I didnt back track.

I have only had 3 interviews and 4 calls in total plus a few dodgy emails. But I suppose I have been really lucky.

Good luck with your search Jessie

helenlc
10-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I am just outside South East London so if you get any enquiries for down my way, send them over!! Lol

Well done on getting them. You will be fine.

My 9 yr old daughter sometimes finds it a bit much but thats mostly due to the 3 yr old I mind who unfortunately is a bit of a wind up!! But I do explain to her and my 11 yr old son that I do this so I can take them and pick them up from school, attend their sports days and assemblies and allow them to have friends over. And the money I mke pays for treats like a visit to the cinema, McDonalds, camping etc.

She will be fine, I am sure and so will you.

gegele
10-06-2009, 10:33 AM
struggling to found kids here so i would definately do it!:)

Tippy Toes
10-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Go for it! Until you try it you will never know! Your daughter will adapt its just a new situation for her and she is unsure same as you.

You will be fine and she will be fine!

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

:D