PDA

View Full Version : Chupa Chup Lolly AT 8.15 am!!!

helenlc
08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
So I pick my 3 yr old mindee up on the school run. He comes out this morning with a lolly in his mouth - at 8.15 am!!!

Needless to say when we got to the school, I took it away from him! Much to his disgust but I didnt want people to think I had given it to him or even agreed with him having it at that time of the morning.

What kind of people let their kids have lollies at breakfast time? Then I get in the playground and I see a Reception aged child eating a bag of crisps!!!:angry:

Sorry, just a pet hate of mine!! Rant over!!

sweets
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
That's AWFUL!

I understand that parents may be rushing in the morning but giving their kids rubbish for breakfast is just not right. Sometimes i will ask my midees what they had for breakfast and one of them often says that she had a 'pink biscuit'! If they are rushing why not give them an apple or banana on the run! much better

FizzysFriends
08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't be letting him walk around with lolly in mouth let alone at that time in the morning.

I also hate seeing young children given rubbish to eat for breakfast.

FizzysFriends
08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
That's AWFUL!

I understand that parents may be rushing in the morning but giving their kids rubbish for breakfast is just not right. Sometimes i will ask my midees what they had for breakfast and one of them often says that she had a 'pink biscuit'! If they are rushing why not give them an apple or banana on the run! much better

I have some that eats cakes and biscuits for breakfast and are always hungry, can't imaging why :angry:

LittleMissSparkles
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
A LOLLY !!!!!!!!!!

apart from it been way too early in the day and also not good for him and also dangerous walking with a lolly did the parent really think it would fill him for the morning till lunchtime :mad:

well done for takin it off him xxx

Helen79
08-06-2009, 11:03 AM
one mindee has turned up to mine by 9am having had cocopops then a milkybar on the way here, then the parent's wonder why he gets grumpy around 10am! He's on a sugar come down & he's tired but won't sleep cos of the sugar :angry:

Pipsqueak
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
My mindee often has sweets and the like at 8.30am when he arrives!:rolleyes:

helenlc
08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
It just makes a mockery of trying to get them to eat healthily.

I admit there are times when we are rushing out the door but I make my kids some toast and they eat in the car if need be.

cabby
08-06-2009, 11:41 AM
i have one that turns up at 7am with chocolate all round his mouth, over easter he came in every morning (still at 7am) with a whole easter egg, as soon as he and mum walked through the door she would start to unwrap it tell him to sit down then go to hand him the whole egg:eek:, not only does she know there is no eating in my lounge, i couldnt belive she would let him sit and eat a whole easter egg especially at 7am!!!:angry:

rickysmiths
08-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm afraid I would have removed it and given it back to the parent before I left. Too risky to walk along the raod with a looy in the mouth whatever the time of day. :eek:

georgie456
08-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I have one that constantly turns up at 8.30 with smarties and sweets. He comes in with a packet for him and one for my dd, and every single time I say in front of mum that we will have them later for a treat as it is a bit early for sweets and mum always says "oh I told him he could have them now!" Then I am the bad guy as far as the children are concerned! :angry: It's like groundhog day!!!!!

Blackhorse
08-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I remember a family with 4 kids that I used to see on the bus on my way to work in the morning.
and every morning they were eating crisps and sweets and fizzy drinks... I was horrified

...on the other hand I have also made pancakes in the morning for breakfast before with nutella on them...but that was a special treat once on a sunday...

mandy moo
08-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I would just like to say, sorry if I ruffle any feathers, but

My own children have a bowl of cereal, they have a slice of toast, and a small pot of fruit or some times a yoghurt instead of fruit, for they're breakfast every day
But some times especially the older one (I think hes got a worm in that there tummy..lol) will also have a packet of crisps on the way to school as well as!
I know theyve had a decent breakfast, obviously some kids dont, but prehaps we shouldnt be so quick to judge.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I would have had it out of his mouth straight away - parents or no parents - would have handed it to them to put in the bin and made a fuss of asking what did you have for breakfast then?

peanuts
08-06-2009, 01:19 PM
i often see some children with their parents with pringle tube, slush puppy before school. mum mentioned that they had to have dental work done which she was not happy about, child only 3. no wonder they needed dental work after seeing what he ate on school run in the morning.

Tatjana
08-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I've overheard my ds teacher asking parents to please provide a sandwich in the packed lunch...my ds tells me some kids just have chocs, crisps and sweets for lunch:eek:

xx

angeldelight
08-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm afraid I would have removed it and given it back to the parent before I left. Too risky to walk along the raod with a looy in the mouth whatever the time of day. :eek:

Yes

I have done the same in the past - parent dropped a child off with a lolly and I gave it back and said we do not have them here bring it back at collection time - she was amazed I think ha ha she did not do it again though

Angel xx

The Juggler
08-06-2009, 04:48 PM
That's AWFUL!

Was just going to say the same. A banana is cheaper than a bag of crisps these days so no excuse! It's a pet hate of mine too so I'm totally with you. My kids only get treats on special days out and after tea. Everything else is fruit or healthy snacks.

Bananabrain
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Had a 2 yr old mindee who had crisps almost every morning.they came on the bus and she used to come in clutching them,grinning.

This was the same parent who said she was looking for a childminder who made home made food!!!!!

breezy
08-06-2009, 07:34 PM
2yr old mindee i had used to have jaffa cakes for breakfast at 7.30am then get here and ask for kitkats:angry:

mum2two
08-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I hate it too! Kids turn up here telling me they had choc biscuits for breakfast, or with rubbish in their hands, munching away, or 'mummy gave me sweets...!'

My kids then ask for crisps/biscuits etc, and like someone else said, I look like a really mena parent! I now take anything non breakfast like away from them, and put it up telling them they can have it later, if they've eaten all their lunch.

I think, because I don't really do crisps & biscuits etc, then they forget they even had them, and never ask. :thumbsup:

I do have those cereal bars in the cupboard, you know the rice krispie/cocoa pop etc bars in, for if we are ever in that much of a rush, but can't remember the last time the kids had them...

xx

beckyteddy
08-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I have one super healthy family who send their little boy with a packed lunch full of fruit (some of which I've never even tried myself before!) and healthy cheeses and breads etc.

And one who comes with a sausage roll and a packet of Tesco value pickled onion crisps! He's only 19months old! I tell the parents what fruit he's had at snack-time like say pears or strawberries and they always look shocked and say stuff like "oh, we've not given him that before, we'll have to try it". At 19 months, my kids had tried pretty much most fruit available, especially obvious things like pears and strawberries!

I can't understand how some parents can get it so wrong! The sad thing is I can tell just by looking at the children which ones eat healthily and which don't. It's setting them up for such a bad start in life, it really makes me upset sometimes.

ORKSIE
08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
i have had kids turn up on my doorstep with a packet of crisps:eek:
"Oh we didnt have time for breakfast"
I would much rather they asked me, can I give them breakfast rather than crisps at 8.30am:panic:

mandy moo
09-06-2009, 06:27 AM
I've overheard my ds teacher asking parents to please provide a sandwich in the packed lunch...my ds tells me some kids just have chocs, crisps and sweets for lunch:eek:

xx

The child I used to work with had school meals but would throw it in the bin if he thought noone was looking/he could get away with it, so I used to sit near him in the dining room, and some of the packed lunchs the kids had you have to see to belive

miffy
09-06-2009, 06:34 AM
I used to have a mindee who arrived with a bag of wotsits (yuck!)

Miffy xx

RedDragon
09-06-2009, 06:43 AM

Miffy xx

Ewww, I hate Wotsits.

miffy
09-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Ewww, I hate

Yeah, me too!!!!!!

Miffy xx

angeldelight
09-06-2009, 06:45 AM

Miffy xx

Oh they are scrummy ha ha

Angel xx

essexgirl1967
09-06-2009, 06:56 AM
I think I may hold the record on this one lol!

Last year I looked after a 3 year old. At the original meeting mum stressed absolutely no junk, no colouring, fizzy drinks, def no mcdonalds etc, which was fine as I wouldn't have given her that any way.

However, as the contract started her (true) eating habits emerged. I provided breakfast ( cereal, toast and fruit) for my kids and mindees before school run, but this particular mindee began turning up with her own breakfasts as mum complained that mindee didn't like my food.

Her breakfasts included large bag of pic and mix, a smarties cornetto, jam doughnut etc.

When I pointed out that I could not have mindee eating things like that in front of the others, as it wasn't fair mum turned it around and in front of mindee said that she'd have to go hungry if I wasn't allowing food!

Mollymop
09-06-2009, 06:57 AM

xx

Yes, I have seen this happen with my own eyes. One child who has this type of food in her lunch box, her mum is one of my friends. Mum says she won't eat anything else:panic:

Pipsqueak
09-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Do you know, the attitude of some parents about what their child is eating is disgusting. Do they not care about the sugar and fat contents and the effects it has later in in life.

I was raised by parents who went through rationing and woe betide me if I was disrespectful or wasteful about
a) what my dad had worked hard for to provide
b) what my mum had worked hard for shopping and cooking

I would either go hungry if I messed around with food (refusing it etc) or it would be served up the next meal until it was eaten. OK my genuine dislikes were respected (or if you were feeling poorly and didn't want to eat) and it was always healthy, fresh, homemade meals but I was expected to try a bit of something if it was new.
We sat to the table as a family and we left the table as a family. We were expected to help in the clearing up and as we got older help in the shopping/cooking routines. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I expect the same of my kids and the two eldest are pretty good cooks themselves and can produce some basic meals, they could technically fend for themselves and they are healthy, fit children who enjoy a wide variety of foods (even Harry the sparrow!).

One of my mindees (he is a great eater) often arrives with crisps, choccie, sweeties and I take them of him. I know he will have had brekkie but I do worry about his teeth. Besides James starts howling for sweeties before school then!:angry:

ORKSIE
09-06-2009, 08:49 AM
OMW Pip reading that takes me back to being at home with my parents.
I was bought up mostly by my Nan, she was very strict about meal times and not wasting it.
My Mum would also say if i didnt eat it I would sit at the table till it was gone or I would get it for breakfast:eek:
I used to hide stuff under my mash if i didnt want it:D

helenlc
09-06-2009, 12:06 PM
I think I may hold the record on this one lol!

Last year I looked after a 3 year old. At the original meeting mum stressed absolutely no junk, no colouring, fizzy drinks, def no mcdonalds etc, which was fine as I wouldn't have given her that any way.

However, as the contract started her (true) eating habits emerged. I provided breakfast ( cereal, toast and fruit) for my kids and mindees before school run, but this particular mindee began turning up with her own breakfasts as mum complained that mindee didn't like my food.

Her breakfasts included large bag of pic and mix, a smarties cornetto, jam doughnut etc.

When I pointed out that I could not have mindee eating things like that in front of the others, as it wasn't fair mum turned it around and in front of mindee said that she'd have to go hungry if I wasn't allowing food!

My friend minded a little boy and Mum came saying he likes fruit and veg and eats well etc. He hardly ate anything and when we walked through the high street would excitedly point to McDonalds/KFC/Burger King etc.

As a treat for her daughters birthday one day they did have McDonalds and it was the first meal he polished off with her.

Anyway, thankfully no lolly this morning!!

LOOPYLISA
10-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Oh they are scrummy ha ha

Angel xx

Im eating them as i type this, they are yummy i agree Angel :thumbsup:

Lady Haha
10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I have one who has turned up a couple of times with crisps, they were bbq beef Discos and they smelt horrible!!! Today he turned up with a bottle of coca cola and his mum said 'He'll be running around like a loony in half hour!' and Im stood there thinking, yeh,well at least hewill be in school then and I won't have to deal with it!

She also went through the whole 'we feed XXX very healthily at home, no junk food etc' at the contract stage......

I also provide a cooked meal for all the after schoolies inc her child and she has told a few times that she feeds him a again later, things like curry, his fave she says!!! This must be at around 7pm!

Gizmo
10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a problem with my mil giving my kids sweets, dd said to me gran gave me a lolly but I've not to tell you. Have told mil so many times when you get dd from school she is allowed a piece of fruit and a drink of milk. Mil thinks what I dont see doesnt hurt.:angry:
My kids do get sweets and biscuits but as a treat not as breakfast

mandy moo
11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I have a problem with my mil giving my kids sweets, dd said to me gran gave me a lolly but I've not to tell you. Have told mil so many times when you get dd from school she is allowed a piece of fruit and a drink of milk. Mil thinks what I dont see doesnt hurt.:angry: My kids do get sweets and biscuits but as a treat not as breakfast

Oooohhh dont talk to me about MIL, the other week she told me my 10 yr old ought to grow up,
Er why? hes 10 years old
And she also told me that " shes never has agreed with the way I bring my children up"
Er, so like, whats it got to do with you..huh
Shes another one who seem to think they never get 'Treats' too aaaaaahhhhhhh.

Deb
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
What time is the correct time to eat a chuppa chuppa?

mrs c
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I had one who would come chewing gum. As soon as she arrived I made her put it in the bin. It soon stopped.
Knew a boy whose gran took him to school. He ate sweets there and back and ended up needing loads of dental work.

flora
11-06-2009, 02:24 PM

I wondered this too :blush: :D

mandy moo
12-06-2009, 01:56 PM

Not before or straight afterbreakfast..
Not right before lunch..
Not just before tea..
Not when your arriving/at the childminders
But any other time is fine..lol :laughing: