PDA

View Full Version : a risk assesment to far?

sweets
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
i was talking to a cm friend the other day and she said that a friend of hers whos a cm too did very detailed files on her children. She does a full written and photo story obs EVERY DAY for EVERY CHILD! she also risk asseses every activity they do, even things like painting and sticking!
Is this going a bit far? or am i not doing enough paperwork? it scared me a bit, i do obs as and when, sometimes once a week sometimes longer.
:panic:

flora
08-06-2009, 09:42 AM
When does she have time for any FUN??????

I think thats is a tad too much. But that is just my humble opinion :D

FizzysFriends
OMG now you are scaring me, if shes doing obs every day on every child is she getting time to do activities with them?

estrelas
i'm the same as you Jodie, obs once or twice a week,

Major risk assessments done, but to be honest wouldn't have time to do one for every single activity

Pipsqueak
08-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Too much!!!

huggableshelly
08-06-2009, 09:44 AM
obs can be done to suit yourself ... weekly or monthly ...

I take pics and add postits linking to EYFS sometimes this coulf be umm lets say 5 in one wk but then I wont do anymore for a couple of wks unless something wonderful has happened say child can form the first letter of her name in the sand or summin like that.

R/a's again is individual, I do have a general r/a listing all activities

gluing - risk eating it - action supervision
scissor - risk cutting/stabbing selves/others/cutting clothing - action supervision

i dont do r/a's every single activity as not got the time.

sweets
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
good glad it just me me who thinks its a bit OTT!

Regarding RA, i don't really understand them! Ive done a big table of the main ones that i altered from the bromley website (indoor and outdoor) but how do you set out the simple ones, ones for like cutting, playing in sand etc? do you just write a couple of lines and stick it in a file never to be looked at again. I just can't get my head around them. help!
e.g. for cutting
Child may cut themselves
action: supervise child.

Is that it?

Helen79
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Sounds like a lot but how many children does she look after?

When I first started minding I only had 1 mindee for 3 months. He had so many more obs, photos & planned activities I had written up than now I have 4 mindees.

huggableshelly
08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
good glad it just me me who thinks its a bit OTT!

Regarding RA, i don't really understand them! Ive done a big table of the main ones that i altered from the bromley website (indoor and outdoor) but how do you set out the simple ones, ones for like cutting, playing in sand etc? do you just write a couple of lines and stick it in a file never to be looked at again. I just can't get my head around them. help!
e.g. for cutting
Child may cut themselves
action: supervise child.

Is that it?

yes thats all i have done

georgie456
08-06-2009, 12:36 PM
So when does she actually get to play with the children? That sounds like way too much to me. I do one obs a week and think it's more than enough!

Chatterbox Childcare
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
OTT is an understatement - I do 1 ob a month and the rest is general observations when out and about or "wow" moments.

Ofsted are not looking for reams of paperwork just an understanding of what each child is doing and where they are development wise.

It is no wonder childminders don't have enough time for themselves and their families

hollybritten
08-06-2009, 01:06 PM
TBH I have actually done RA for all activities including sticking, drawing, water play, sand play, garden play, painting?!:blush:

sarah707
08-06-2009, 05:05 PM
TBH I have actually done RA for all activities including sticking, drawing, water play, sand play, garden play, painting?!:blush:

Yes I have all of those too... but I have done them once and piut them in a file and there they sit, to come out and be updated every so often.

it's not a huge thing if you take them one at a time...

I certainly don't observe or risk assess every day. Not enough hours! :D

Tatjana
08-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I've not done RA's for activities, just for the house, garden, car, and outings. It's too much, it could go on for ever, RA for meals, having a drink, it's ott.:panic:

xx

candy cat
08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
i was talking to a cm friend the other day and she said that a friend of hers whos a cm too did very detailed files on her children. She does a full written and photo story obs EVERY DAY for EVERY CHILD! she also risk asseses every activity they do, even things like painting and sticking!
Is this going a bit far? or am i not doing enough paperwork? it scared me a bit, i do obs as and when, sometimes once a week sometimes longer.
:panic:

I know we have to do RA but, surely we only have to do standard ones for most activities??In my opinion children need to takes risks in life.I did a course on play the other day...we all had to remember our most memorable play activity when we were little...myself,brothers and friends made a see-saw out of an old stool and a long plank of wood...we had 5 on each end and yes we fell off but,brushed ourselves down and got back on!!!Imagine RA that!! lol

sweets
08-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I just thought, i bet her poor mindees have never seen her face as she always has a camera stuck to it! lol:laughing:

Think i'll have an evening typing up some more risk assessements:)

miffy
08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Way too much!!!!!!

Miffy xx

ORKSIE
08-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I believe this is a bit OTT, you have to be sensible, and fun.
In my opinion this is not fun, I enjoy my job, i wouldnt enjoy hers:D

christinajanep
08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
i have to say i risk assess every activity we do the first time we do it and then re-assess every 6 months, plus every outing we go on. As for observations i do obs on my children every day also (i mind 4) they are not massive but its just something that the child has done upon which i can add to and develop them further, this is then referenced to the EYFS at the end of the month against the 6 areas of learning so i know at what stage that child is at