PDA

View Full Version : help with registering please

sensimilla
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi,
I'm new here, I registered in the forum just now. I decided to start childminding bussiness and I'd like to ask for some help. I have a 7months old baby daughter and there is no way I'd put her into nursery, so I'd like to look after kids at home. I always wanted to work with kids and I love being part of their lives. I have 2 years nannying experience and then I had my own baby.
Please help me how to start the registering. I understand I need to register with ofsted, I need crb check and an ipc course.
I'd like to start minding in the autumn and I'm in Hungary with my daughter at the moment for the summer. We need to move to another flat as well before we return.
Could you write down the registration step by step? At which point do I actually need to be there in London to go for interviews or anything? When should we move to the new flat (when do they come to check the place or when do I need to provide proof of address)? Do I need to do the ipc course before I get the certificate? How old the crb check should be? (can I start it before the registration?) How long does the registration take from the beginning to the end? Is a 1 bedroom flat fine for childminding? The bedroom would be my daughter's room (and the children's room during the day) and I want to look after up to 3 kids at a time. How much can I charge in NW London?
Sorry about the tones of question, but I absolutely new in registration. Thank you for your help in advance!

AliceK
08-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi
The first thing you will need to do is register with your local council to do the ICP course. Mine was a 7 week evening course. At the course they will give you all the registration forms for you to fill in and send off. At this point Ofsted will contact you and come and do your inspection. Ofsted will then send off your CRB forms. Once Ofsted have the CRB clearance back along with your Health Declaration Form they will send you your certificate and you will be able to start minding. At some point during this process you will also need to complete a peadiatric first aid course (must be a 12hr course). I can't comment about the size of your flat but Ofsted will limit the number of children you can look after. I have heard that this is related to the space you have available although everyone I know has the same numbers but then I guess we all have approx the same size of houses.
As far as timescales go I started my course in Feb and am hoping my certificate will be though either this week or next. The CRB process has taken AGES.
Good Luck

xxxxxxx

Tatjana
08-06-2009, 01:38 PM
May I ask why you've chosen your particular use name????!

xx

Pipsqueak
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi,
I'm new here, I registered in the forum just now. I decided to start childminding bussiness and I'd like to ask for some help. I have a 7months old baby daughter and there is no way I'd put her into nursery, so I'd like to look after kids at home. I always wanted to work with kids and I love being part of their lives. I have 2 years nannying experience and then I had my own baby.
Please help me how to start the registering. I understand I need to register with ofsted, I need crb check and an ipc course.
I'd like to start minding in the autumn and I'm in Hungary with my daughter at the moment for the summer. We need to move to another flat as well before we return.
Could you write down the registration step by step? At which point do I actually need to be there in London to go for interviews or anything? When should we move to the new flat (when do they come to check the place or when do I need to provide proof of address)? Do I need to do the ipc course before I get the certificate? How old the crb check should be? (can I start it before the registration?) How long does the registration take from the beginning to the end? Is a 1 bedroom flat fine for childminding? The bedroom would be my daughter's room (and the children's room during the day) and I want to look after up to 3 kids at a time. How much can I charge in NW London?
Sorry about the tones of question, but I absolutely new in registration. Thank you for your help in advance!

You are going to need to be in your place of intended residence first and foremost.
Then you apply to local council - attend a pre-reg briefing where they will give you all the forms and guidance that you need.
You will attend a (approx) 7 week introduction course - sometime during this (fi you have sent of the preliminary forms) then you will get a pre-reg inspection from Ofsted - they will come out to see you to ensure you and your premises are suitable. Getting your CRB going is vitally important as this can take a while - especially seeing as you have been living abroad (I presume you have been).

The whole regstereing process can take several months but you first need to contact your local council for information.

Can't help you with fees in NW london but again you should be able to find this out at your pre-reg briefing.

Zoomie
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Just wanted to add something not already mentioned but assuming you are going to be renting your place, you need to ensure that your Landlord is agreeable to you running your business from there. Suggest you be upfront about this.

xx

sensimilla
08-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you very much indeed!

Tatjana!
Because it sounds nice and I have used it everywhere since I was 16. It’s a name of a plant’s flower. Why?

Alicek!
At first I’d like to have only 1 child to look after (+my baby), then another one after six months. Then we’ll move to a bigger flat. As I’ll start minding int he autumn at the earliest and don’t know how quick I’ll have a child to look after, we just can’t afford a bigger places yet.
Do you think 3 kids are allowed in a 1 bedroom flat?

Pipsqueak!
I have been living in London for nearly 3 years and worked as a nanny, but I came home with my daughter to my home country to my family to spend the spring/summer here and we’ll go back to London. At the end of summer.

Zoomie!
Thanks!

Then I’d just like to know if I could start the CRB check procedure now and the registration at the end of summer? Or it’s have to be Ofsted who organises it?
Have you heard about NEC? I want to do the course there. Is it true that I can do it after the registration, no later then in 6months time? I think I want to do it during the summer, it’s just good to know.

Thank you very much in advance!

Tatjana
09-06-2009, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=sensimilla;442691]Thank you very much indeed!

Tatjana!
Because it sounds nice and I have used it everywhere since I was 16. It’s a name of a plant’s flower. Why?

It's another word for marijuana!

Good luck with getting registered.

xx

Minstrel
09-06-2009, 01:17 PM
It's another word for marijuana!

Good luck with getting registered.

xx

oops :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sensimilla
09-06-2009, 06:15 PM
No, it's the name of the female plant's flower, but still a nice word. But if you want to know, I don't smoke. :)

sensimilla
09-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, maybe I'll change my name, because it really is misleading around here. I just didn't want to find out a new one after years...