PDA

View Full Version : Babies & Milk

emma04
14-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Sorry rubbish title for thread but couldn't think of anything else.

I just need to ask for a bit of advice.

I have an 8 month old baby coming to me tomorrow for her settling in session. I called her Mum this evening to get a confirmed idea of her routine (eating, bottles, sleep etc.) The Mum told me that she only has a a 6oz bottle for breakfast and one for bedtime (food in between ...obviously) I am concerned that this is not enough milk for a growing baby and should i say something to her??? I really don't want to poke my nose in, but i'm concerned for babies health, the 10month old that I also have has 4 x 7 oz bottles between 6am - 7pm. What do you think i should do?
(by the way I have a variation to my reg. so I can have 2 under one's!)

Thank you:panic:

charleyfarley
14-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I had this problem with my own son as he cut down on his milk quite early.

He loved proper food for his meals but wouldn't touch milk very much except breakfast time

I had a word with health visitor and she said this was fine as long as he was having cheese and yogurts etc as this would make up the intake of dairy.

Neither of my children will drink milk on it's own, Charley won't even have it on cereal.

Carol xx

sarah32
14-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I look after a 10 month and he only has 2 bottles a day now, one in morning and one in afternoon, food in between, his choice, it can be hard sometimes to get him to drink his milk in the afternoon.

They can fill up on yoghurts and cheese in their food.

emma04
14-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for that, am relieved. Baby is coming to me full time in a week and i am providing her food so will ensure that she gets adequate dairy (yoghurts, cheese etc.) I have checked with Mum regarding any allergies to dairy and there are none.:)

Cheeky Chops
14-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I have just finished looking after a baby girl of nearly 8mnths and she only had 2 bottle with me, one for late breakfast and then one while she was going to sleep about 4ish. mum said health visitor said she was greedy so she can only have these and then one before bedtime at night. so i am wondering if it varies from child to child and parent to parent!! x x

emma04
14-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Baby is quite small for her age and i think that its the mum who has cut down her bottles, thinking that she was doing the right thing..... I don't know, think i will keep my nose out and see how she goes. Mum has asked if i will take her to baby clinic to get her weighed so may ask the health visitor..........But thats another thing, does anyone know whether i need a signed permission statement from the parent in order to receive info from the health visitor on behalf of the parent....sorry digressing a bit.

sarah707
14-02-2008, 09:30 PM
The baby I have is 10 months old... mum has been told by health visitor to cut out daytime bottles.

He has one in the morning and one at bedtime. Through the day I can only offer him water. :D

Pipsqueak
14-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Lots of milky/dairy foods as well -
macoroni/cauliflower cheese
rice puddings and similar
milkshakes, smoothies
milk on cereal!
angel delights (but not our angel on here!!!)
blancmonge

anything you can make with milk etc

My youngest stuggled with his milk from an early age (he also has a mild milk intolerance) and barely got passed drinking 2oz of milk in about 3/4 feeds a day, he was on cows milk by the age of 6 months that didn't work, we tried every type of milk going, goat, rice, etc but he just wasn;t keen. He quite likes evaporated milk though. I do have to watch his intake. Try not to worry too much about the milk intake though.

angeldelight
14-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Both my parents health visitor told them to make sure their babys get at least a pint a day even with meals and have juice inbetween - of course some of that milk allowance is used for cereal

To be honest I would wait till the child is settled with you first before I start saying things to the parent

Good luck Emma hope you have a fun time with baby

Nice to see you back here also

Angel xx