PDA

View Full Version : Paper Mache

estrelas
07-06-2009, 08:24 PM
ok i need a fools guide to making it

Before minding I wasn't very creative person, since starting i've got better, but i am ashamed to admit i've never made paper mache,

I've googled iy and there are so many different ways

So i need some advice please

Buzz Lightyear
07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I've recently done some with my mindee although say with the mindee but he did it for five minutes and then wanted me to finish it off for him. Obviously you need a balloon and some pva glue watered down. Old scrap paper or newspaper, couple of layers, let it dry, then add tissue paper for a smoother layer and white so you can obviously paint it to whatever you're trying to make.

HTH and enjoy!!

Bananabrain
08-06-2009, 09:29 AM
We did it in the Easter hols.

I have to say that it wasn't the most successful thing I've ever done because older mindees got bored and I ended up doing it for them!

I used watered down pva and thin lining paper.

Probably wouldn't do it again.Is it just me or do your mindees always want you to 'help' them.It just seems that children these days don't want to do anything that requires any effort:laughing:

Bananabrain
08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Sorry estrelas,that was really negative wasn't it?

I've only been minding for two years and have found that I was full of fabulous ideas:laughing: I've found that alot of stuff is trial and error.It takes a while to figure out what goes down well with the children and what works and what doesn't. A few of my fabulous ideas {like making sugar mice and Mr grass heads} have been total disasters!!!:laughing:

Go for it with the paper mache, everything's worth trying. It's not always the finished article that is the important bit,sometimes they just like making a mess for the sake of making a mess!!

estrelas
08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks will see how it goes:)

madasahatter
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
You could always shred a load of newspaper the put it in a bucket with some hot water leaving it for a few hours so it goes really soggy and mushy. Then add a good dose of PVA, give it a good mix and then use it as a sort of dough, moulding it around a cling film covered bowl or squish it and squash it into various shapes etc
You can also add paint to the mixture.
If you make it too soggy to start with then just add more shredded paper to soak up the excess water.
It's a long time since we did this (as an outdoor activity) but I remeber it being quite successful.

sarah707
08-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I did it once at school ... it went everywhere and most of the balloons popped.

We were making insects, which were very odd shapes :laughing:

manjay
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
We have just done this and my effort was the least successful:rolleyes: . I made my own paste with flour and water but I was too impatient and slapped a bit too much on! We are making bees so have done it around small balloons and they have dried really well. Just need to paint them now. Powder paint works best for covering newsprint