PDA

View Full Version : i need to get out of teaher mode so how do i plan as a childminder?

missv1981
07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi,

this has probably been asked on here so sorry for repeating!

I'm newly qualified as a childminder and have a few questions about the planning and observations.

I'm 100% used to all the paperwork as I'm a teacher but I know that ofsted will not be grading me as a teacher but as a childmionder. I'm only working with over 5s and they are afterschool mindees for 2 days a week. I know that I shouldn't be teaching them like i would at school as they have had that all day. So my questions are:

If you have children over 5 after school how do you plan for them (do you do homework with them? Do you link activities to school work? Do you consider the literacy and numeracy strategies?

If you only have them for a few hours do you give them free time or have the whole time working with them?

also how do you record observations?

Sorry to sound silly but i need to get out of teacher mode :blush:

xx

missv1981
07-06-2009, 07:17 PM
'teacher' i can spell the word but was in a rush for advice!:blush:

Hi,

this has probably been asked on here so sorry for repeating!

I'm newly qualified as a childminder and have a few questions about the planning and observations.

I'm 100% used to all the paperwork as I'm a teacher but I know that ofsted will not be grading me as a teacher but as a childmionder. I'm only working with over 5s and they are afterschool mindees for 2 days a week. I know that I shouldn't be teaching them like i would at school as they have had that all day. So my questions are:

If you have children over 5 after school how do you plan for them (do you do homework with them? Do you link activities to school work? Do you consider the literacy and numeracy strategies?

If you only have them for a few hours do you give them free time or have the whole time working with them?

also how do you record observations?

Sorry to sound silly but i need to get out of teacher mode :blush:

xx

sarah707
07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Little ones - plan to follow their interests, routines when with you, schemas, go on outings, do what parents ask you to do re sleeps, feeding patterns etc.

Ages about 3 to school ... they need more structure. Plan to resource your areas to their interests, find out their learning styles and offer activities you know they will enjoy, offer a range of planned activities that are global and multicultural not forgetting our own and local cultural heritage, follow local and national theme days like safety days or fire station open days etc...

Older children - involve them in your daily planning, give opps for chilling time, offer homework help if they want to do it and parents want it done... mostly with older ones they want to relax so don't push it.

Hth :D

missv1981
07-06-2009, 07:43 PM
thanks for that x

so will ofsted not look for a great deal of planning and regular observations for the after school children?

I'm just so used to ofsted routing throught my planning/obs for hours on end! :eek:

Little ones - plan to follow their interests, routines when with you, schemas, go on outings, do what parents ask you to do re sleeps, feeding patterns etc.

Ages about 3 to school ... they need more structure. Plan to resource your areas to their interests, find out their learning styles and offer activities you know they will enjoy, offer a range of planned activities that are global and multicultural not forgetting our own and local cultural heritage, follow local and national theme days like safety days or fire station open days etc...

Older children - involve them in your daily planning, give opps for chilling time, offer homework help if they want to do it and parents want it done... mostly with older ones they want to relax so don't push it.

ORKSIE
07-06-2009, 07:45 PM

I totally agree with you sarah:)

sarah707
08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
You will be inspected on...

1. The Eyfs;

2. Your paperwork for the older group is in line with the Childcare Register (there are differences between that and the Eyfs);

3. The needs of the older years group do not impact on children within the Eyfs.

:D

huggableshelly
08-06-2009, 07:09 AM
I was the same due to working in a nursery for a long time.

all i have planning wise for afterschoolies is a list of toys & activities aswell as places to go weather depending such as park, library, adventure playground, woodland walk.

I still do a monthly basic plan much less than i used to do then link EYFS individual planning into it. I also find whatever I've had out for the EYFS mindees i just leave out for the afterschoolies and they get on with it such as artwork, playdough, threading etc.

missv1981
08-06-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm just shocked as it seems that the planning and obs are so brief in comparison to the under fives!!!!!!

good for me though!!

i was thinking of doing a daily diary which documents the activities and then a scrap book for each child that shows assessmenst via photos, work, note etc...
would that be ok?

sarahlou
08-06-2009, 09:13 AM
I am a teacher 2 and i found this difficult. I planned 4 everything and everyone (due to my background). My adsvisor came out and looked at my paper work and said I was doing too much but if it worked for me and gave me that bit of security then it was up to me. I still do plan but for the after school children I do let them choose more than the activity being adult led. The only thing i have kept in place is my topics so some of the toys I have are around the theme of the term. This works for me and hope it helps.:)

The Juggler
18-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Think ofsted also look for links to what their school topics are as well as their own interests. You'll have the planning all wrapped up with all that teaching experience - lucky you!

Chatterbox Childcare
18-06-2009, 05:57 PM
You are only expected to cover the EYFS for children up to the 31st Aug after their 5th birthday.

As you know children work hard in school and just want to chill and play so why plan? Let it all be child led.