PDA

View Full Version : Cars and Holidays?

dmss001
07-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi, I am a newbie and will be starting in Jan as currently still enjoying my maternity leave....

Anyway my question is do you all have 7 seater cars?? I currently have an ordinary ford estate so can take 3 children in car seats then no more room for anyone else so I take it I cannot do school pick ups! I was then thinking I could still cover school holidays and inset days as they would then be dropped off to me. If I was to get a car so I could collect children from school could you please let me know how much these 7 seater cars cost second hand and if the insurance is o.k?

Daftbat
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know the costs second hand but i use a 7 seater and wouldn't be without it especially in the holidays.

Insurance wise ours is £224 fully comp for this year but i am an old fogey of nearly 43:eek: and hubby is 41. I think the insurance group for the zafira (thats what i have) is reasonable.

dmss001
07-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks I am just trying to weigh up the costs of buying a new car vs. taking on some children before/after school. Im not sure of the costs in the area for taking on the children before and after school. Everyone charges £4 min £5 max per hour but never state before and after school fees.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-06-2009, 03:43 PM
You need to see if there is the demand for the holidays before commiting yourself. Ring your insurance company and ask for a quote as everyone is different - don't forget to tell them you want class 1 business use

rickysmiths
07-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't have and never had had a seven seater! I have always done school runs walking and outtings on Public Transport when I had older ones in the holidays. We have never needed a 7 seater as a family and I don't see the need to have to drive one around when I'm not minding.

It would have never occured to me to buy one on speculation, prior to starting minding. Would it not be better to wait and see what kind of enquiries you get first? buying a new/secondhand car is expensive.