PDA

View Full Version : Getting a bit down & disheartened now (& short of cash lol)

nikkia77
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I registered in march & as yet have not had one single call, i've put ads in shops & on websites mentioned on here, in my old nursery & a friends pre-school but still nothing. I think my biggest problem is that I can't get my ad on the local CIS/FIS/council/childcare link (whatever you want to call it it's the same thing) as although they have it all ready to go on there they have got new softwear that doesn't work with their computers so they cannot upload ANY new childminders onto the website & they don't know when it will be sorted out, thing is I started all this over a year ago when I first went on maternity leave thinking that by the time I was due back at work I would be childminding(i had no intention of going back there anyway), I wasn't entirely wrong as my cert is dated 18/3/09 as I was due back at work 6/4/09 but I got my last pay check at end of dec & we've nearly run out of savings, I really need to start earning some money NOW, what else can I do

HENNY
07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I am going to do some bank work in a local Nursery as like you I haven't got much work at the moment.At least with bank work you can pick and choose when you work and so would be able to fit it around your childminding when some work comes your way.I have told my local Nursery that I am a childminder but would like some extra work where I can work alongside others.Alternatively you could look for a weekend shop job -I have seen some weekend jobs advertised at Marks and Spencer.

manjay
07-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Not sure about where you live but all my children have come from getting myself know in our village. I have had none from the FIS. I also got really clever at dropping it into ever converstaion I had;) .I started with 2 after schoolers and didn't get my first under 5's until about 4 months after registering. Do you go to any groups with your own child? I know things work differently depending on where you are based (village/town) but for me this is what I would encourage any new minder to do.

Don't give up hope. You will get there eventually.

Joannechildmind
07-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Nikki,

It can be disheartening even us who already work as childminders have weeks/ months where we have no calls or interest. Then you maybe get 3 calls in a day its just the way it works.
Could you not do a little part time work until it picks up?
Have you spoken to your local schools reception maybe they can pass on your details.
I find one of the best ways to get interest is word of mouth, so make sure everyone knows your a childminder. Do you know any other local childminders who would maybe pass your details on to friends or parents needing childcare.
Another idea have you spoken to the local development officer, she is pretty new but really nice i cant remember her name now but if you phone the office i think its 01245 445272 they will put you through to her and she will give you some help and advice.
Chin up i promise something will come along, i havent had any phone calls for weeks now so it seems a little quiet all round.
Good luck hopefully the people i have given your number to may call.
Fingers crossed. :)

Chatterbox Childcare
07-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Sometimes it takes a while to get going and when it does it floods in.

When I started I worked nights as Asda when my hubby was home to have the children.

chewy sweets
07-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I've not long had a baby aswell and i'M PRE Reg. Giving your health visitor a business card might get you some work. She probably sees mums everyday who will be going back to work soon and in need of childcare. My little one's got his MMR this week and I'm going to pass my card onto her. Fingers crossed i'll get some enquiries for when i register. Hope you get some calls soon!

Tatjana
07-06-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so down. I'm in the same boat, although i've had 4 enquriries they've come to nothing, not even a visit!

I got all excited about my details going on the CIS site thinking it would bring in loads of enquiries, wrong, not one. They've all come from netmums!

We've got to be positive, something will turn up soon!:thumbsup:

xx

jibberjitz
07-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Hope you get some interest soon :thumbsup:

nikkia77
09-06-2009, 12:35 PM
thanks everyone, gonna have to give the night work thing some serious thinking, hubby works 5 in 7 but never same days off so days are not really an option.

Jo, thanks again for passing my number on, not heard anything as yet but fingers crossed x

mum2two
09-06-2009, 01:35 PM
It does take a while to get started. I had odd bits, but didn't really get going until I'd been reg for about 13 mths...

My friend across the road reg last Sept/Oct time, and didn't have a single enquiry until a couple of months ago. Then, every call I got that I couldn't do I passed on her number, and now she's full too & had to turn a couple down.

Go out & get yourself known to other minders, as at least they are aware of you, and can pass people onto you if they get the enquries...

It will pick up! And like someone else said - they will come flooding in!

xx

Princess Sara
09-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I think my biggest problem is that I can't get my ad on the local CIS/FIS/council/childcare link (whatever you want to call it it's the same thing) as although they have it all ready to go on there they have got new softwear that doesn't work with their computers so they cannot upload ANY new childminders onto the website & they don't know when it will be sorted out

OMG I have been checking every day for 3 weeks now waiting for my details to be uploaded! When I rang they said it gets updated every 2 weeks, nothing about there being a problem with software. Grr...