PDA

View Full Version : In the News - 35 children killed

jessie1
06-06-2009, 09:36 PM
In Mexico

This is so sad and i now understand why OFSTED are sometimes so anal (sorry strict) re firedrills and all those bits. apparently normally 200 kids but there were 142 kids ranging from baby to 5 years with 6 STAFF MEMBERS so that means +- 23 kids per carer

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090606/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_children_killed

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 09:41 PM
OMW that is terrible.
Can totally see where your coming from.

shopshelleyd
06-06-2009, 09:44 PM
omg that is awful. The article says they were within legal ratios. How can one person possibly look after 23 children aged between 6mths and 5 yrs??:angry: :angry: :angry:

jessie1
06-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes i saw that piece and questioned that myself. and also the article reminded us when 9 years ago 21 people died when they couldnt escape the nightclub and 100's of nightclubs were closed down after that because same as the nursery, no smoke alarms, one fire escape (but it was locked)

It is sad, really sad as looked like it was mostly the little babies that died. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

LOOPYLISA
06-06-2009, 09:49 PM
How sad :panic:

Cazz
06-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I've just seen this on the news - it's awful the poor distressed parents outside waiting to find out if their child was one of the fatalities.

They said on the news that there was only exit in the whole building (and it was a big building) :eek:

Very sad to lose so many innocent little ones.

Carole x

balloon
07-06-2009, 06:33 AM
How awful, I cannot begin to imagine what those poor children went through and what those parents will go through. My heart goes out to them.

huggableshelly
07-06-2009, 06:46 AM
There were an estimated 142 children

why didnt they know exactly? its all so wrong and should never have happened its really made me angry but there is nothing that can be done now other than mexico stepping up their standards to protect their children and adults too.

mrs c
07-06-2009, 07:02 AM
This is dreadful news. Only one working exit. If only one person had thought to check and challenge this. We may sometimes consider our rules and regs a bit of a pain but in times like this.......

Toothfairy
07-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I just can't imagine what those parents must be going through.

miffy
07-06-2009, 08:23 AM
This is dreadful news. Only one working exit. If only one person had thought to check and challenge this. We may sometimes consider our rules and regs a bit of a pain but in times like this.......

I totally agree!

Miffy xx

angeldelight
07-06-2009, 09:01 AM
That is really sad

Angel xx

helenlc
07-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Can you imagine that father's desperation who drove his truck into the side of the building to open up an exit?

It says the building is an old warehouse that had a few windows up high and one available exit? I have to confess it makes me glad we have Ofsted so nothing like that could happen in this country.

I had tears in my eyes towards the end. You think that parents feel guilty enough about putting their children into daycare, let alone for something like that to happen while they are there.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Those poor children and their families - it brings tears to your eyes

I listened to the video report and it is thought that the fire was stared in the building next door and that the childcare centre had just passed an inspection but how can they only have 1 fire exit?

I am glad of Ofsted at times like this.