PDA

View Full Version : over 8s

little chickee
06-06-2009, 02:14 PM
i've been reading a few posts on here about kids over 8 not counting in your numbers - im registered to have 3 under 5s and 3 over 5s - my eldest 2 boys are 9 & 12 does this mean that technically i can have 6 mindees (1 of which is my own 6yo) and my 2 oldest boys making 8 in total?

singlewiththree
06-06-2009, 02:18 PM
yes the 3 over 5's are between 5-8 years. Over 8 are not in your numbers and you can have up to the maximum for your insurance ensuring it doesn't impact on the care of the under 5's.

Minstrel
06-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Although you are in Scotland so I would just double check this info with our Scottish minders as these are the rules in England and maybe different across the border!

gigglinggoblin
06-06-2009, 07:17 PM
They must not have a negative effect on the under 8s is the rule. However in my area you cannot have more than 6 children under 14 under your own supervision without applying for a change of use so I can only have 2 mindees when all my own children are here.

tulip0803
06-06-2009, 07:47 PM
It is different for Scotland so wait until a Scottish minder comes on. I think yours is 6 under 16 years.

I checked the SCMA website:- http://www.childminding.org/choose-a-childminder/frequently-asked-questions

" How many children will there be with a childminder?
A. Childminders can care for a maximum of six children at any one time, including those up to the age of sixteen. Of those six children, no more than three can be under primary school age, and no more than one can be aged under one - except in special circumstances such as twins. The childminder's own children, if any, would be included within these ratios. Childminders who work with an assistant may look after larger groups of children. "

The under 8s ratio's are for OFSTED (England) & CSSIW (Wales)

little chickee
07-06-2009, 09:41 AM
thats great thanks for all your help - i think i'll just stick to 6 in total including all of my own - thats enough at any one time really anyway!!