PDA

View Full Version : Term Time only - what holidays would you take?

Tippy Toes
06-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi all

I was just wondering what you would do in the following situation.

I have a lady who 'hopefully' (she's coming on tuesday for a chat) will be placing her 7 month old with me starting september. Im not going to charge her anything for the 13 weeks when it is school hols.

What holidays would you take? And would you charge anything?

Thanks everyone x

mrs c
06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
I charge half pay for the school holidays and try to take my hols at the same time. On the rare occassion I have had to take time off outside of the school hols then I do not charge. I think doing it your way you could still ask for at least 2 weeks half pay - and its up to you whether or not to take this time off.

Roseolivia
06-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I do what Mrs C does as well. Not charging for 13 wks school holidays is a lot of money to lose. You'll probably find a lot of childminders charge half fee as this then guarantees the space if the parent needs it. I'd charge unless you have someone else to cover the school hols.

Tippy Toes
06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Problem is she is my first interested parent. She called me and asked me if I charged for the holidays as she did not want to pay them so put on the spot I said no I dont charge! Which she was really pleased about.

Silly me had not thought about teachers! :blush:

xx

youarewhatyoueat
06-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I do a term time only contract as I don't want to work the hols if I can help it but I charge more per hour than other minders around me but they charge a retainer for hols.It works for me and for my parents who are teachers or only work term time.

Polly2
06-06-2009, 11:11 AM
You could advertise holiday spaces then you wouldn't lose too much money.

As for your holiday I don't cahrge when I am not working but some cms charge half fees, some full fees but you need to agree this in contract.

Hope it goes well with parent x

grindal
06-06-2009, 12:28 PM
You could always tell her you want 4 weeks paid holiday per year - but are prepared to take this in the school holidays. That way you ar kind of getting 8 weeks at half pay, but still not charging her for school holidays. I used to be a teacher and was really pleased when the childminder I used agreed to let me pay half in the school hoildays.

mushpea
06-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I dont charge for the hols as I appricieat less children for the sake of my children ifyswim
At the moment i have 1 term time only baby starting in september and 5 other term time children one of them is only 2days a week and i dont charge the full week even though he takes up a full time space.
it depends on how you feel about it. I have 2 after schoolers that come full time in the hols so my money is made up again by them comming for longer hours so it sort of works is self out in the end.

mushpea
06-06-2009, 12:55 PM
forgot to add, you also have to think of how much room you have in your car if you are going to use it, like if the term time only baby come then i wouldnt be able to use the 7 seater i just bought so again it is better that he dont come in the hols

gailee
06-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm in the same dilemma (sp) i have a parent wanting 1 1/2 hours a day to pick up her son from 1 nursery i'll have to drive to pick up give him his lunch which she will provide and take him to another nursery (she works at this nursery) all within the hour and half??? I've told her i'll charge her 2 hours a day but she wants term time only! i've mentioned that i will charge her 1/2 fees during the school hols (Its not much either) he's 3 years old and work is very slow specially when there's a surestart nursery up the road! thats busy!! also she's mentioned at the minders that she's call weren't that interested in hours !!

The Juggler
06-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't charge for school holidays so I factored a few days in, in case I needed hospital appointments/funerals, weddings etc. but don't tend to use them every year.

Tippy Toes
06-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied x Its a tricky situation as I didnt want to put her off by saying I charged holidays, especially cus she is my first customer and im really eager to get going with the job.

Do you think she would be put off if like grindal suggested I charge her 4 weeks hols? But try to take them in the school hols? But when would I get her to pay these weeks hols?

Thanks all x:D