PDA

View Full Version : Happyland, FP Little People or Playmobil

Zoomie
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Hiya

I want to get one of the above, and build it up over time, but I can't decide which one to go with. My new mindee has playmobil already, but I think that it might be better to get something else.

Any suggestions, and why ?

Many thanks

Angela234
05-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I have a good size collection of HApPYLAND i'm looking at starting collecting some Little people now I also have a selection of playmobil more for slightly older ones 3-4 years up where as Happyland mine start from 12 months

Winnie
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Happyland is on offer at the moment :D

westbrom44
05-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I wouldnt go for playmobil as I had the farm, which fell apart every time it was played with as it was quite delicate. I dont think it is suitable for the younger children.

I would personally go for a Fisher Price farm.

My friend has Happyland sets which are very good.

Lady Haha
05-06-2009, 09:45 PM
It really does depend on the age of the children! I look after schoolies and find Playmobil is great for them. They can rebuild it if it fall apart, as it's a construction toy too. Any kids under the age of 4, I would go for one of the other two!

tas
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I think Happyland and Little people are both great, nice and chunky for little hands.
I have Little People as the sets are smaller, more compact so easier to store :) x

Jules27
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I have a lot of little people and my babies/toddlers love it, perfect for little hands. Even my eldest son (6) and my 5 yr old mindee still enjoy playing with it. I wouldn't go with playmobil as already said not really suitable for the really young ones. Can't comment on Happyland as haven't got any!!!!:D

Cazz
05-06-2009, 10:11 PM
My 17 mth dd has some little people things and loves them - I've been really pleased with them too. I'm definetly going to get some more.

Can't help with the other two as I haven't really had any experience of them - sorry.

Carole x

tulip0803
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I love playmobile but I wouldn't have it out if there are any littlies about as the pieces can be so small that they aer easily put in the mouth. Playmobile stays out the way unless it is all older children.

I have Fisher Price stuff which they all love and DD who is 5 1/2 still loves it. I like Happyland but have none of my own:( - Yet:rolleyes:

loocyloo
05-06-2009, 10:45 PM
i have lots of little people stuff, and i love it. i was given some by the family i nannied for, when i left, as they had grown out of it, and i carried on buying it for ds & dd. i love the fact that its very multicultural and very sturdy! and i often find the afterschoolers ( and NO LO!!! ) playing quite happily with it, and telling great stories! ( once had 2 x 9 yr old boys playing 'war' with it, and then loading all the dead bodies into the dumper and 'dumping' them in the mass grave - guess what had been on the news at the time :eek: )

i do like the happyland stuff too, and there seems to be a wider range of it available. ds & dd had some that they played with at grandparents. if i didn't already have the little people, i would seriously consider happyland.

i love playmobil too, and dd has had it since she was 3, but i don't let her (or ds, or anyone! ) play with it unless we have NO little ones in the house! the after schoolers all enjoy the playmobil, and there is a huge range, and usually a set to fit in with any theme you can think of! although i trusted dd to play with it (supervised) from 3 yrs, i wouldn't trust any of the LO i have currently with it, and to be honest, one of my afterschoolers, is rather heavy handed too! some of it ( pirate ship for example! ) is rather delicate! ( and they do have some VERY tiny pieces!)

xxx

miffy
06-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Happyland or little people for under 4year olds. Playmobil for over 4's - mainly because of small pieces.

Miffy xx

Roseolivia
06-06-2009, 07:38 AM
My daughter and mindees love happyland and little people. They're really good as the characters are made from soft plastic so hard to break and you can get loads of different characters and sets (farm, fire station, vet, camping etc)

mushpea
06-06-2009, 08:42 AM
my mindees love happyland and so does my 9yr old daughter:D all ages can and do play with it.
I also love playmobil and have been considering getting some, i used to have it when i was little and think it would be great for my schoolies to play with, got two girls and two boys so unsure which set to go for but sure they will love what ever it get.

butterfly
06-06-2009, 08:46 AM
i have LOADS of happy land - it's sturdy, fun, some bits make noises, there's multicultural people and there's so much choice you'll definately find a set to fit every topic!

TheBTeam
06-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I personally prefer little people over happyland, it is made generally of more sturdier plastic in lots of cases the kind that doesn't snap like the more brittle plastic. The other reason i like it is the people actually push on to the bits rather than just sitting in the cars and planes etc, this makes them more suitable for even younger children who tip stuff over etc.

A lot of my little people stuff is over 10 years old and still in perfect condition, i have recently added a shop which can tell numbers, produce in both english and french, a playground which covers counting, numbers and colours. The people are multicultural, and some have spectacles, and you can get wheelchairs and school buses with wheelchair ramps.

There is a huge range of items, people, animals and stuff which you can buy - it is safe for very young babies and i have had children up to 8yrs playing happily with it, my dd is 7 and really still likes it.

I have some happyland people that were bought for me, but prefer the little people.

As others have said, playmobil is great if slightly older - not really preschool as the pieces are more delicate.

georgie456
06-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I have always found fisherprice/happyland last forever...and the kids love them regardless of age.

Demonjill
06-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I love the little people its lasted for years and dd(11) still has wee shot if we bring it out lol . ds (5)plays too when hes not practising his chess!

Zoomie
06-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Awwww, thank you for all your info.

I still can't decide what to go for. Have mindees 4.5y and 2y, so both age groups.

Me thinks me gonna get all three :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry, just seen this but my LO's love F P Little peeps:thumbsup:

butterfly
07-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Awwww, thank you for all your info.

I still can't decide what to go for. Have mindees 4.5y and 2y, so both age groups.

Me thinks me gonna get all three :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :laughing: :laughing:

why don't you take them shopping and see what they choose?

jibberjitz
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I have quite a large selection of Little People and its always popular. I have a little bit of Happyland too - the Church with the bride/groom/vicar/horse (its great but every time my lo's ring the church bell I answer the door - not so funny after the 37th time!!!!:( )

Pauline
14-01-2011, 08:56 PM
We bought the Playmobil farm for our 2 year old grandson, it is specially designed for little ones - age 18 month + and is really lovely.

He loves it and uses the hayloft lift and drives the horse and cart around. Animals he puts in different places depending on what he feels like :laughing:There is a little outdoor seating area which can be moved inside the farm house plus other bits and it all folds up to make its own storage case.

:)

Highly recommended by George :laughing:

We got it in Argos - Playmobil 123 Farm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9260937/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAYMOBILE+FARM.htm)

Louise0208
14-01-2011, 09:01 PM
i have happyland & little people, i find the happyland better as you can get disabled, ethnic, pregnant, professions etc......also it pulls down a lot flatter than the others :thumbsup:

Angela234
14-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I have a large selection of happyland including track which you can't buy new now (can get off ebay) which the children love

I also have a selection of little people but happyland gets played with more.

I have some playmobil cars ambalance and fire engine for children slightly older.

I brought most of mine (all the above) from ebay

If i was to choice to collect 1 i would say happyland

kel1983
14-01-2011, 09:15 PM
I have both happyland and little people. I got all mine from carboot sales. Got a whole load of happyland buildings cars and roadway for £3 :clapping: . The 21 month I have loves playing with the people in the cars.

jellybean cc
14-01-2011, 09:56 PM
i have a large collection of happyland, some of it 10 years old and still in great working order. My 3 year old loves it and my 6 year old still plays with it. My six year old is desperate for me to buy the dinosaur set, i keep putting it off because of his age but am going to keep an eye out for it in the sales. Would highly recommend. i have playmobil but have to be so careful making sure all the little bits are put away when little one's come round.

MaryMary
14-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I have had all 3 for years, and love them!
My DD has a playmobil 123 house, and other bits - 18 years ago!:D Unfortunately it is long gone now :(
My DS collected playmobil. I sometimes get it old for the older ones, but there are some very small bits. It is lovely, but quite expensive.
He also got a Happy Land (or Happy Tracks, I think it was called then) for his 1st birthday - he will be 13 in August. We made quite a collection, then gave it to my little cousin. We got it all back about a year ago :clapping: and have added to the collection. He still joins in with the younger ones :laughing: :laughing: and nags me to get more!! :D
I have a FP li'l people house, which I got from a charity shop (also had similar years ago) and it get played with most days (by a 6 yr old).
I think all these toys are timeless, so you can't go wrong with any of them (Happyland & FP can be played with together - the kids don't care!!)

However, as someone else said - Happyland is on offer!!

Vickster
14-01-2011, 10:14 PM
My son has loads of playmobil, but i rarely get it out for my mindees as he plays very carefully and my mindees don't, whereas LP and Happyland are far better for all ages. I borrowed an old happyland school from the Toy Library and it looked tired, but got so much play out of it from children 18 months to 5. I don't have any older children

Trouble
14-01-2011, 10:16 PM
i have an attic full of playmobil that was my kids and im stuck what to do with it

theres 4 remote control cars
police station
noahs ark
big house
tons of furniture and people
campervan
zoo

its the best stuff in the world and last forever:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

onceinabluemoon
14-01-2011, 11:00 PM
You can get playmobil 123 for under 4s.

I have ordinary playmobil for the schoolies but the 'hair' could easily be bitten off by LOs and could block a windpipe and there are loads of really tiny pieces so definitely a no go for littlies imho

We have loads of little people stuff for the LOs simply because i saw that before i saw the elc stuff

Rubybubbles
15-01-2011, 11:07 AM
we have loads of happyland:) all ages like to play with it, I like it because there is so much to choose from:clapping:

It washes really well for little ones too!

agree about the door bell noises though:D

samb
15-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I have a little bit of each. I don't think you need to choose 1 really. I just don't have 2 types of the same type of item if that makes sense? So for example we have the Happyland aeroplane so I wouldn't get the Little People aeroplane etc.

I have Little People - garage, cars, tractors, bus
Happyland - aeroplane
Playmobil (only the age 4 plus stuff) - digger, excavator, fire engine, dust cart and unicorn palace

As few people have said there is a younger range of Playmobil - 123 which is from 1 1/2 which is good but also quite expensive compared to the others.

I wanted a farm set and took ages to decide which to go for. In the end I went with a Duplo farm set I found at a nearly new sale. :)

I find that the children play with the different types of sets together and so need to separate into happyland and little people. I tend to separate into different categories depending on what they want to do so for example, "flying vehicles" would have out happyland aeroplane, wow toys aeroplane, ELC magnetic set of planes/helicopter and Peppa Pig's rocket!