PDA

View Full Version : Scottish lot please... starting school/numbers Q

Pudding Girl
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I see lots of posts here from the England CMs about when a child is counted as over school age for your numbers, what's the deal here when sometimes you get a child who is well over 5 starting school?

When do they actually count as the next age group?

loocyloo
05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
sorry, i'm from england so can't help!!!

BUT, PLEASE can you explain this deferring starting school thing to me?

my best friend lives in scotland and her little boy starts school this august - and will be 6 in the september! he could have started last september, but she kept him back for a year ( and it sounds like the rest of the class did too! )

but my dd who is only just 4, starts school in september! i find it very confusing that they will be in the same school year!

:confused:

Alibali
06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
My certificate says ' 3 children not yet attending primary school' so it's not an age it's the starting school that counts.

Curly Quavers
06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
My certificate says ' 3 children not yet attending primary school' so it's not an age it's the starting school that counts.

I agree mine says that and that is what I am working with because my dd is 5 at the end of October but starting school in August so I will be advertising an other pre school space form mid august.

little chickee
06-06-2009, 12:40 PM
hi George - im from Moray too and i had this situation because of my own son who started school last August - a child still counts in your under 5 ratio until they actually start school because they are still wuth you during school hours.

little chickee
06-06-2009, 12:48 PM
the defering school thing is like this - bearing in mind that im in Scotland so may be different than elsewhere - a child has to be 4 before the end of feb to go to school starting that August but if you feel that your child is not ready for school you can defer the place for a year so that they will go to school at 5 1/2. this is what i did with my son as his birthday is february so would have started school at barely 4 1/2 which i felt was too young. he is in a class where some kids are only a few months younger than him and a couple who are a year younger but it doesnt really make that much difference to them.

fionamal
06-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I think ive put a spanner in the works with the Care Commission yesterday as I raised a query with this.

What happens during the school hols when for example:- 5 year old has finished nursery but not yet started school. What are they classed as, is it still pre-school or now attending school cos really they are neither.

No-one could answer it so they said they would phone me next week to let me know for my numbers as ive been asked to take a little on on for the holidays who will be 5.5 and not yet at school but finished nursery.

fionamal
06-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Sorry George! I didnt really answer your question and took over your thread.

My certificate states 3 children not yet attending school and 3 children attending school

Alibali
06-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I think ive put a spanner in the works with the Care Commission yesterday as I raised a query with this.

What happens during the school hols when for example:- 5 year old has finished nursery but not yet started school. What are they classed as, is it still pre-school or now attending school cos really they are neither.

No-one could answer it so they said they would phone me next week to let me know for my numbers as ive been asked to take a little on on for the holidays who will be 5.5 and not yet at school but finished nursery.

Mmmm, interesting. I guess they will say as they are not yet attending primary school they are still pre-school. Keep us posted please.

Pudding Girl
07-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Yes this is what confused me as I *think* I have read in England they would go up to that next age group for the holidays before they start too, and am in same position as you there, that I have someone enquiring and not sure if my 4.5yo who starts P1 mid aug could now be put into the next category so I could take the family on?

Little chickee - where are you :D am in Elgin

Deferring - no idea, I'm English and don't understand it at all, but have a friend who has a 5.5yo who still isn't at school and isn't starting in Aug either, I am totally confused lol!

tulip0803
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
sorry, i'm from england so can't help!!!

BUT, PLEASE can you explain this deferring starting school thing to me?

my best friend lives in scotland and her little boy starts school this august - and will be 6 in the september! he could have started last september, but she kept him back for a year ( and it sounds like the rest of the class did too! )

but my dd who is only just 4, starts school in september! i find it very confusing that they will be in the same school year!

:confused:

Scotland is very different but even in England and Wales you do not legally have to send you child to school until the term after their 5th birthday. My DD2's school starts them the term that they turn 4 so she was 3 3/4 when she started full time school in Sept 2007 but it was not a legal requirement to send her until Jan this year IYSWIM.

little chickee
07-06-2009, 08:07 PM
HI George - im in Mosstodloch so not far away - we should maybe meet up - Im not quite sure how your friends 5 1/2 yo is not starting school in August - i believe that children have to start school before they are 6 so when is she starting - thats a strange one.

Pudding Girl
07-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I feel a coffee at Baxter's coming on lol!

little chickee
08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Coffee at Baxters sounds like a plan - or if its not a nice day and we both are working how about Brewsters?

Pudding Girl
08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Actually going to be be at Brewsters this Wednesday monring about 10ish if you are free? ( Franny you free too??)