PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bread

ORKSIE
05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Is it ok in your opinion to give it to under 5's.
Just curious cos of something i heard today in passing.

FizzysFriends
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I can't see why not, but Im guessing you have heard it isn't?

youarewhatyoueat
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Yes but not much to under 1's or any great quantity to under 5's the same as brown rice and pasta,it's too much roughage and stops the absorbtion of iron
also white bread is generally fortified with folic acid and is richer in other minerals can't remember which of the top of my head. The recommendation has been this for ages, it's the same with fat in foods children should not be given low fat foods as they need more fat than us(unless of course they are obese).Can't remember all of the facts what is it you've been told?

fionamal
I use brown, wholemeal and white for all my kids and the youngest is 20months.

TheBTeam
I have never heard that you shouldn't, would just be careful of any of the nutty varieties, but wholemeal varieties i wouldn't have thought of as a problem in any way more than white bread.

Monkey1
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
on a nutrition course we were told that thick sliced white bread was the best for children

ORKSIE
05-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes but not much to under 1's or any great quantity to under 5's the same as brown rice and pasta,it's too much roughage and stops the absorbtion of iron
also white bread is generally fortified with folic acid and is richer in other minerals can't remember which of the top of my head. The recommendation has been this for ages, it's the same with fat in foods children should not be given low fat foods as they need more fat than us(unless of course they are obese).Can't remember all of the facts what is it you've been told?

Thanks caroline this is what i heard and i just wanted it confirming.
I heard it was too much roughage.
:)

ORKSIE
05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
on a nutrition course we were told that thick sliced white bread was the best for children

Monkey, this is also what i have heard.
Thanks all.
new you would come up with the goods:thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
05-06-2009, 08:11 PM
My DD doesn't eat bread, is that bad?

Pudding Girl
05-06-2009, 08:12 PM

same here, younger children should'nt have unrefined things liek brown rice, pasta and bread as their bodies cannot cope with it, leaves them too full after eating a small amount and stops them having more of the stuff they should be having and taking in less calories.

katickles
05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah I have always been told that for children white bread is better :)

ORKSIE
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh My, Thanks guys!
I am learning things here i truly wasnt aware of EG Pasta,Rice.
Me thinks I need to do a food nutrition course:blush:

loocyloo
05-06-2009, 10:59 PM
i make my own bread ;)

so mine isn't fortified at all! i tend to make white, with a 1/8 of wholemeal flour! (sometimes a bit more)

we don't have brown pasta, as i can't bear it! no matter what i do with it, it tastes awful! (unless lasagne, and even then i do half and half with 'normal' lasgane sheets !)

i usually mix brown and white rice together.

x

mushpea
06-06-2009, 08:44 AM
we mainily have white but they can have brown but not loads cause of the roughage as for the amount of fat, white bread actualy has more fat in it then brown bread.

flora
06-06-2009, 08:50 AM
dd eats both but prefers wholemeal with seed on , she's 3.

Doesn't seem to affect how much she does or doesn't eat.

This has been around for years. Nutritionists call it museli malnutrition or something like that.

Parents think they are doing the best giving low fat, high fibre diets and they do more harm than good :(

As we have said kids requirements are totally diff from us wrinklies:D

manjay
06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
dd eats both but prefers wholemeal with seed on , she's 3.

Doesn't seem to affect how much she does or doesn't eat.

My son is the same. Given the choice he would choose wholemeal. I wouldn't stop him as I hate white bread, don't think it has any taste at all!

PixiePetal
06-06-2009, 09:07 AM
My kids never liked brown/wholemeal bread. Chunky cut white bloomer is DD idea of heaven!!

DS,12, will now eat either. DD,15, only eats wholemeal when there is nothing else.

Mindees get a mixture of both, white pasta (unless wholmeal is open at the time) and white rice - no one in the family eats brown.

My old Gran, who died at the age of 96, said 'you need something to stick to your ribs!' Within reason I tend to agree, kids burn so much energy - moderation in all. Now need to prctice what I preach!! :laughing:

Alibali
06-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Now, here's the problem, if you only give them white bread when they are under 5, once you start trying to introduce wholemeal they've already developed a taste for white (be it bread, pasta or rice) it may prove tricky as they may not like it. I always make my sandwiches half wholemeal half white - best of both worlds and then they develop a taste for both.

Spangles
06-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I've heard that under one's shouldn't have brown bread.

We have best of both in our house as my son won't accept any bread that doesn't look mostly white!

He's very picky but it suits me as I don't like brown bread toasted and it seems to go stale quicker than white.

angeldelight
06-06-2009, 11:29 AM
I dont think you be giving it every day and in great amounts anyway so it would be fine

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
06-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow ive never herad this before, can i ask why this is ?

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 12:40 PM
I dont think you be giving it every day and in great amounts anyway so it would be fine

Angel xx

I think now and again is fine, and like Alibali said if you dont introduce new stuff you may end up with a problem later.
So i dont think i'll give it to my under 1's but now and again to my under 5's.
This has been really interesting, and i have learnt so much from your posts.
Thankks everyone
XX

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Wow ive never herad this before, can i ask why this is ?

It has too much roughage in it for under 1's but a small amount every now and then to under 5's should be ok.

little chickee
06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
i did not know it wasn't suitable have also assumed that brown was healthier therefore best but my own kids are a bit fussy with brown bread so i tend to buy the" best of both" or "50/50" varieties

The Juggler
06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I heard wholemeal was too much for under 1-s but problem is if you only give white then how do you introduce wholemeal later on.

Best of both or brown is OK it's just the wholemeal that's a problem. Think granary is OK as they are seeds from grain plants/sunflowers not nut based. might be wrong though.

Need an expert opinion I think.

CountryKids
06-06-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm rather astounded by this as refined, bleached flour is noxious stuff, and most sliced white bread is also slathered in calcium propionate (SP?) to stop it going mouldy which can cause bad behaviour problems (eg in my daughter!).
We have always had home made bread, usually spelt actually, but sometimes wholemeal, and very rarely white, unbleached.

Can someone point me to the relevant research? I'd be interested to read it.

LOOPYLISA
06-06-2009, 06:09 PM
It has too much roughage in it for under 1's but a small amount every now and then to under 5's should be ok.

Oh right thanks :thumbsup:

clare's bears
06-06-2009, 08:08 PM
ofsted asked me why i was not using brown bread should of been

Heaven Scent
06-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I think so long as you offer a good balanced diet including some of everything including treats then you will be doing good by any child.

Afriend I grew up with in Ireland is a GP and when her chldren were babies she gave them crusts of Irish brown bread with added bran to chew on while they were teething - actually a lot of people did. I've given it to my own two - I don't like normal wholemeal bread - I think its like cardboard and as its made from half wholemal flour an half white its still got all the additives of whilte - both good and bad.

It does annoy me when parents give their children skmmed or semi skimmed milk because they don't want them to get fat and then on the other hand take them to McDonalds etc and give them huge amounts of cheap sweets with loads of additives and crisps.

Blackhorse
06-06-2009, 09:07 PM
I always bake my own bread. I don't like the pre-sliced stuff that is full of all sorts of things to make it last... I don't think it tastes good either. And I don't think that all white breads are healthy for children either...

I make all kinds of different breads...mostly I mix wholemeal and white flour ...
I also like adding tomatoes, onions, herbs, olives....etc etc
In this way I can also control how much salt goes into the bread....

I agree, that too much roughage is bad for the kids, but it is actually also bad for adults. Even adults can eat too much brown rice, pasta and bread so there should always be a variety in our diet

elliemay
06-06-2009, 11:09 PM
This is an interesting thread as my development worker mentioned that she thought white bread contained sugar I pointed out that all bread even home baked needed sugar to help the yeast to work.I then researched on the internet and found out that wholemeal bread actually affects the digestive system in young children and it is not recommended sorry ive lost the website details.

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 11:22 PM
My philosophy is (if i spelt it wrong, i appologise)Moderation..Moderation:thumbsup:

angeldelight
07-06-2009, 09:09 AM
My philosophy is (if i spelt it wrong, i appologise)Moderation..Moderation:thumbsup:

Totally agree

xx

venus89
07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
:thumbsup: and variety.

CountryKids
07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
This is an interesting thread as my development worker mentioned that she thought white bread contained sugar I pointed out that all bread even home baked needed sugar to help the yeast to work.I then researched on the internet and found out that wholemeal bread actually affects the digestive system in young children and it is not recommended sorry ive lost the website details.

Actually :blush: you can get the yeast going without sugar - you put a tsp of flour in the water with the yeast and in that way you can make sugar free bread - but goodness you don't put much in anyway!
I'm always suspicious of 'research' which proves something we've always understood to be good, suddenly to be terribly bad, and like to know who's funding the 'research' before I take any notice. I've had my fingers burned before, I'm afraid.

ORKSIE
07-06-2009, 05:22 PM
:thumbsup: and variety.

Absolutely:thumbsup: