PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help from you fine ladies....

uf353432
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
On my certificate I cannot care for children under the age of 1 because my youngest is under 1.

My youngest is 1 tommorrow (Happy Birthday!!!) and I wrote to Ofsted in May explaining I had an enquiry for a child who wouldn't be one until Mid June to start the week after my daughters birthday.

Ofsted said it would be fine, they would issue a new certificate - but I couldn't start minding this child until I got the new certificate.

I have phoned twice today to see if the certificate will be here early next week, have been told that 'someone' will phone me back - which given the time I think is not going to happen now.

In the meantime mum has phoned me to see if she can do the settling in session earlier in the week - was scheduled for Thursday - would like Monday or Tuesday - but Ofsted say I can't until new cert arrives.

This is just a 2 hour settling in period, no charge to parent.

I want to give the mum some help - but I also don't want to be in breach of Ofsted.

Is there a way around this - or would Mum have to stay for the 2 hours?
It wouldn't come under babysitting would it in my home? Can anyone advise?

Thanks debs

Beckieboo
05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Not sure hun, but didnt want to read and run! Someone will be along soon who will be able to help!!:)

Chatterbox Childcare
05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I would email the help line and explain what you have written here.

If you only have your own child then I would do this 2 hours as babysitting but make the parent aware that you are not insured at that time

Mrs.L.C
05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Is there anyone you could ask to either be at yours or to care for your child at theirs whilst you do the settling in session? If so, maybe it would be worth asking Ofsted where you stand on this and if its ok to go a head with a settling in session

Not the best situation as it may feel as though you are putting a minded child first but a possible way round it

TheBTeam
05-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Is there anyone you could ask to either be at yours or to care for your child at theirs whilst you do the settling in session? If so, maybe it would be worth asking Ofsted where you stand on this and if its ok to go a head with a settling in session

Not the best situation as it may feel as though you are putting a minded child first but a possible way round it

The problem with this is your children count in your numbers even when they are not physically with you, so your daughter is your under one regardless, and once she turns one you have to wait until your certificate arrives.

I would try OFSTED on monday and see when your certificate will be issued, and if the visit is only for an hour or so then and there is no charge then technically you do not need to be registered for this kind of one off care, the child could be 'coming to play' with your child iyswim.

balloon
05-06-2009, 04:44 PM
could mum maybe bring a book and go read in another room? Then she'd still be on the premises and still responsible for her child...

MissTinkerbell
05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
As its only 2 hours and you are not being paid for then you should be OK. As someone else said - child could be 'coming to play' with your daughter.

On Monday I would be on the phone constantly until someone gave me an answer. Keep ringing as often as you can and insist that you need an answer. After all you may end up losing a mindee if they don't pull their finger out.

Pester then continuously until the get fed up of it. You could also ask for the same person each time so they get fed up of you ringing and find out for you.

Helen79
05-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Happy 1st Birthday to your lo tomorrow :)

If I hadn't heard back from ofsted I'd just do the settling in session without the new certificate. If you're not being paid then you're not technically working. Just think it as though you're looking after a friend's lo as a favour.

haribo
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;440425]The problem with this is your children count in your numbers even when they are not physically with you, so your daughter is your under one regardless, and once she turns one you have to wait until your certificate arrives

i didnt realise this - that you canot" juggle "children so you are within your numbers - does this just apply to your own kids and why is this or am i being very dense today

singlewiththree
05-06-2009, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;440425]The problem with this is your children count in your numbers even when they are not physically with you, so your daughter is your under one regardless, and once she turns one you have to wait until your certificate arrives

i didnt realise this - that you canot" juggle "children so you are within your numbers - does this just apply to your own kids and why is this or am i being very dense today

Its because if your child had an accident you would have to go in hospital to sign the concent form them where if it was a mindee you wouldn't. Therefore they are still legally your responsibility the same if they were at nursery.

haribo
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM
ah thanks i was being dense haha

Daftbat
05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Its a shame Ofsted just can't use some common sense at times. Certificates are issued with a date and there will be supporting documentation which relates to the original issuing of it - i.e. no minding children under 1 year because....... If that situation changes because your own child reached 12 months old then i have never understood why you have to wait for a new certificate, its not as if you are requesting a variation. Its common sense that this ladies own child will move up to the next group.

I could go on but life is too short and its Friday:D

uf353432
05-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks ladies, I have gone back to mum and we have found an alternative plan. I offered to look after him whilst she remains in the background, and lets me look after him. Or I suggested postponing to the following week on the Monday which is her birthday and said she could use a couple hours to go get a birthday treat!! I am all heart lol!

hopefully the cert will come before then - but I shall pester Ofsted like a maniac until it does! :laughing:

Not impressed though and shall voice that as well!