PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to mind babies under 1

sarah_wabbits
05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi all,

I've just registered and am just finalising all my paperwork (the mountain of!)so I can advertise. I have decided that I don't want to mind babies under a year old as my son is 15 months and I would rather take older kids that I can organise structured activities for and so that I can take trips to the park etc without needing more hands than I physically have. Anyway, I was wondering if I can advertise that I only take children over 1 and if I can put that in my admissions policy too. I'm not sure if it counts as discrimination by not taking on babies.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jules27
05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Its your business so you do what you feel comfortable with. I don't see it as discrimination. If you were not wanting a child of a certain race now that would be!!!

Pipsqueak
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Its up to you - you just say that you don't have any spaces for an under 1 currently.

MissTinkerbell
05-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Its entirely up to you.. you're not discriminating because you are saying that you do not feel you have the facilities to mind children under 12 months. I know people where I live who will only mind over 5s and they advertise that fact and surely thats the same?

Mrs M
05-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes I agree. I think you can word it a certain way to explain that the vacancies you currently have are for over one's. I admit, I prefer to look after children who can walk! Life's much easier that way, it's even better when they can talk and tell you what they want.
Best of luck to you :D

amirose
05-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I am not actualy registered for children under 12 months so I just advertise my under five vacancies as "full and/or part vacancies available for children aged betweeen 12 months and 4 years" - don't see anything wrong with that :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Do what you are comfortable with an advertise accordingly

butterfly
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
definately agree! you choose what you want! a new minder has just started up in our town and she will only accept over 3s. it's no different from a playgroup who only take from 3 years!

sarah_wabbits
05-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone, your comments are really helpful and I shall advertise accordingly.

ORKSIE
05-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Personally I love then littlies but it is personal preference, do what you feel comfortable with:thumbsup:

sarah_wabbits
05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
My better half has just come up with the genious idea of advertising from toddlers to teens, which sounds really friendly but makes it quite clear no babies!

butterfly
06-06-2009, 08:54 AM
My better half has just come up with the genious idea of advertising from toddlers to teens, which sounds really friendly but makes it quite clear no babies!

that sounds like a great idea for a business name!

LittleMissSparkles
06-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I am not intending to have under 5's from now on but for different reasons, I hope to fill up with over 5's then can say I am full anyway if I get a call for under 5's:)

Lady Haha
06-06-2009, 11:19 AM
yes, I think the key in the advertising is to say what age you DO take, not what age you DON'T take! As said before, somethign along the lines of 'childcare for children 12mths upwards'

I only care for schoolies and from one school only, so I'm really discriminating!!! On my brochure it states 'Ofsted Registered Childminder catering for children attending xxxx school'.

huggableshelly
07-06-2009, 07:02 AM
I do not take on under 1's either mainly due to the fact that none have ever come to me and the one who did chose another cm.

my fav agegroup is 2-3's and I'm quite happy having as young as 15 months but no younger, I couldnt handle a screamer all day.

LOL when i get a baby enquirey I tell them i have no spaces right now and give then another cm's number, she adores babies and in my eyes she is brilliant with them.

you choose the families and children you wish to care for, if you do interviews and they do not feel right then dont take them on.

miffy
07-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Do what you are comfortable with an advertise accordingly

I agree!

It's your business and you need to do what fits in with your family

Miffy xx