PDA

View Full Version : Emergency contact at preschool

Jen4Kids
05-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone:)

I started minding a 3yr old boy this week who i have from 8am-5.30pm tuesday and wednesday. I take him to preschool and collect after and have him for the rest of the day. I get paid for all day as i would be his emergency contact. His nanny has him on a monday and his aunty has him on a thursday and friday (but used to have him 4days a week since he was 6mths old)

Anyway, mum wanted a chat when she collected on wednesday to say auntie was to be his emergency contact while he was at preschool. Auntie is having big seperation anxiety issues and doesnt seem to want to let go of him so to speak. I told preschool (where ive volunteered for 6yrs) on my first day with him to say to contact me on the days i have him - they needed to confirm with mum which was fine, but then she says auntie wont let me be emergency contact and that preschool need to phone her if hes ill and then she would call me :eek:

I think the situation is a bit weird as i am responsible for him during his contracted hours so i need to be contacted first (then if he is ill then auntie is happy for me to call her and for her to have him) I know the auntie as a friend and it was her that recommended me to her sister but her reaction is a bit strange

Hubby is no help! What do you guys think?

wendywu
05-06-2009, 11:23 AM
As long as you still get paid for the full days you are contracted to have him then let his auntie go running down to school to get him if he is ill.

But you are right it is all a bit strange. But if it does not affect your pay it may save you having to wake other mindees up to go and collect a sick child. Then if he has vomited you would have to call Auntie to collect him anyway.:D

georgie456
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone:)

but then she says auntie wont let me be emergency contact and that preschool need to phone her if hes ill and then she would call me :eek:

Auntie won't let you???!!!! Surely the child's mother has a say???? I agree with you - it sounds a bit odd but at least you won't have to deal with vomit etc!!!