PDA

View Full Version : Im a new chidminder and have parents and 7months old coming ove.r on tuesday?! Help

Tippy Toes
05-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi there everyone.

Have my 'first' set of parents coming around for a 'chat' on Tuesday.:jump for joy:

I have spoken to the mother over the telephone and she seems really keen. (she's a teacher wanting cover for term time only, 3 days a wk.)

Problem is im really nervous! Please help, can you remember your first visit, what happened, what did you do and how did it go?

Im also a little worried that they will ask me questions that I havnt even thought about.:eek:

I live in a small cottage with no garden but a very small back yard - But I am close to all amenities and a beautiful big park.

Sorry to go on and on.:blush:

Thanks all xx:thumbsup:

Miriam
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Just be yourself and play with the little one. I am new too and have had two parents visit. The trick is to be able to tell the parents about your service at the same time as playing with the little one.

Take a deep breathe when your doorbell rings and smile and be cheerful and I am sure it will be fine. I always find it is worse when they have gone and I am left wondering if they are going to want to use me or not.

GOOD LUCK!!!!:) :) :)

sue m
05-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Hiya, I can't remember my first visit! I remember who it was but nothing about the first visit. It was in 1987.

As Miriam said, just be yourself, I don't think I've ever been nervous :eek: maybe I should have been! It's so different these days to what it was then though. Miriam is so right when she says waiting for them to get back to you is the worst bit! Chat or play with the lo and be friendly and chat and you will be fine. :thumbsup:

Tippy Toes
05-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Thank you so much for your lovely replies. It really does help.
Im hoping once Ive had my first set of parents I wont be so bad!

xx

chewy sweets
05-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Haven't had a visit yet as i'm pre reg but would imagine i'd be as nervous as you! Just a quick Good Luck and hope all goes well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!:thumbsup:

huggableshelly
05-06-2009, 01:42 PM
it does get easier each time you see new parents but all parents have different questions, needs and expectations so just be yourself and if they ask you a tricky questions reply with ..... what does the child normally do at home as i aim to keep continuity! it works most of the time and sounds clever too (well i think it does lol)

Daftbat
05-06-2009, 05:52 PM
The others are right in that it does get easier over time. My best tip is to remember that the parents are likely to be just as nervous as you and will probably either have a list of questions to ask, which is easier than if they have no idea what they want. I try to be relaxed about things and don't get loads of paperwork out in front of them until we have had a bit of a chat and i can get the chance to interact with the child.

Remember you are a professional and DO know what you are doing.:thumbsup:

Cazz
05-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Good luck - I'm sure that I'm going to be exactly the same!

Carole x

Tippy Toes
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Its nice to know im not the only one who will be nervous.:blush:

Thanks to everyone who has replied, you are such a lovely bunch x Your words really do make me feel better. :)

ExBlondie
06-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Before i had my first visit which was last week i was in such a panic about it and i had about a weeks notice to them comming round and i just was flapping everywhere about it and my other half told me to calm down a bit and remember this is what you want to do and you can do it cause your great with kids. We went away for the weekend and that helped chill me out a bit but on the day i was soooooooo nervous. I was having hot flushes and started feeling bit sick but when they arrived and was sitting with them i just got on with it and answered everything the best way that i could and it all went really well. Ive had 2 further visits from other familys and my nerves were at a minimum.

I think its because you don't really know what to expect so its hard to plan what to do and say etc but once you got the first one out the way the rest that follow will be so much easier!

Good luck and make sure you tell us how it went :D xxxx

Tippy Toes
06-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks 'ExBlondie'. It really is good to know there are others who feel like me!
I will definately let you know how it goes x

jibberjitz
06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck for Tuesday - hope it all goes well :thumbsup:

ORKSIE
06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Good Luck, hope all goes well:thumbsup:

singlewiththree
07-06-2009, 06:54 AM
I can't remember my first interview and I have only been registered since Dec.

What I try and do now is find out as much as I can about the family and child, it also makes you sound more interested in the child and their routine etc.

I usually ask
about naps/eating for younger children.
Has the child been left before, who with

Then try and work out from the chat about the family situation, but without asking as don't like to seem I'm prying, such as if there is a mum and dad, any siblings, work or not working etc.

I find if I can build up a picture of the family I can see whether they will fit in with the children I have and my family.

GOOD LUCK