PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Parents Drive Me CRAZY!!!!!

hannahsstar
14-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Why is it that you bend over backwards to try and accomodate new prospective parents and their requirements only to be told a week later that they have changed their mind!

It drives me crazy. This family came last week, have rang me 4 times to ask questions and request something different to what I normally offer and then today they ring to say that they are going to keep their children at the nursery even thought they know the new management are having problems!

I have even filled in the contract, got policies and permission forms signed and everything. We even agreed a start date of Monday!

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

deeb66
14-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I have had this happen to me several times over the years.

I know how annoying it is and how frustrated you are......it is a pure waste of your time, efforts and paperwork.

I now charge a deposit as soon as the contract is signed. I also charge a sizeable chunk usually around £400 - £500. I also put a clause in the contract that if the child starts as arranged then I will deduct this amount of their first months fee's thereby costing them nothing.

BUT - if they change their mind and that child does not start then they loose their money.

It doesn't happen anymore as people are not willing to loose that kind of money!

angeldelight
14-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Poor you

I have had the problem in the past that is why I hold out these days with the signing of contracts until I know for sure
Or I make sure I take a deposit that is none refundable if they change their mind

Some parents do sometimes waster our time

Hope something else comes up for you again soon

Angel xx

sarah707
14-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Been there... got the tshirt... time wasters are a fact of the job. The trouble is they can tell us anything and we have to believe them. We have no choice until proven otherwise... now an inbuilt b******t meter... that would be a useful invention! :laughing:

You need to grow a thick skin I'm afraid... :(

peggy
14-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Why is it that you bend over backwards to try and accomodate new prospective parents and their requirements only to be told a week later that they have changed their mind!

It drives me crazy. This family came last week, have rang me 4 times to ask questions and request something different to what I normally offer and then today they ring to say that they are going to keep their children at the nursery even thought they know the new management are having problems!

I have even filled in the contract, got policies and permission forms signed and everything. We even agreed a start date of Monday!

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

How annoying!! This probably dont make you feel better but i guess its all a bit of a learning curve on how to protect ourselves from financial lost...and if your using an ncma contract they are ****** expensive!

I've only been in this situation once but the woman paid me £20 deposit up front signed contracts and she then backed out, so she lost her deposit.

At present i usually only take a deposit on signing of contract, but your post has made me realise that if they fail to show up for signing of contract then i'm already on to a loser. What i'm thinking is if someone says yes they are interested to ask for a £50 deposit but broken in two parts a £10 admin fee initally then a £40 deposit upon signing of contract?? Then say that £50 is taken off last months fees at the end of contract with adequate notice.

Its a tough call knowing what to do for the best isnt it? I'm sorry these people have messed you around xx

miffy
14-02-2008, 10:35 PM
That's really annoying and such a waste of time

Get a deposit next time

Hope you get some more calls soon

Miffy xx

susi513
15-02-2008, 07:43 AM
The one that annoyed me most was the lady who said she was desperate - new job/no minder etc. I gave up my Sunday to have her visit and she signed contract and was going to pay by online banking transfer. Wasn't til I phoned her to see if they were ok when child didn't arrive as expected that she said she'd gone with someone else. Whose contract I later discovered she'd already signed before she contacted me !!!!

When they come for interview I give them an application form to return with their deposit and I explain that a place is not reserved until the deposit has cleared to my account and the contract has been signed by all parties.

LittleMissSparkles
15-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I learnt from the lovely ladies on here when I started to ALWAYS take one months deposit when signing contracts and if a place is been held prior to contracts been done I ALWAYS take a retainer fee none refundable if they change their minds, makes parents think twice and windles out the none genuine ones xxxx

sorry youve been messed about, did you get a deposit ?

xxx

did you put in a settling in period in your contracts and 4 weeks written notice for termination ....if so you could make her pay you 4 weeks money if you didnt have a settling in period agreed xxx

Spangles
15-02-2008, 11:20 AM
I think this happens a lot, I don't take it for granted that I've got the work until the child is on my doorstep the first day!

Sad but true.