PDA

View Full Version : New parent question

ExBlondie
04-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey all

I had a message left for me today of a parent who came to see me on tuesday saying they wanted to go ahead with me looking after there daughter but had a couple of questions. She said what will you do when you go to the toilet would you put her into a play pen? Im glad she left me a message and wasn't in to answer the call cause im not totally sure what to say? I don't plan on having a play pen cause i personally don't like them think its a cop out on having to look after the child (don't mean to offend anyone that uses them hehe) BUT what do i say? Are we supposed to not go to the toilet when we have the children? Or are we supposed to take them with us? (hope not cause won't feel right doing that) Im really confused! :panic: lol

FizzysFriends
04-06-2009, 08:29 PM
How old is the child?

grindal
04-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi
My mindee is 10 months old, is crawling and has just started pulling herself up on furniture. When I need the loo I take her upstairs and put her in the travel cot (where she screams until i get her out) as she is far too unstable to be left on her own at the mo. As she gets a bit older and less wobbly i am sure I will leave her - in the same way I leave my own 2 - well actually they usually just follow me :rolleyes:

ExBlondie
04-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Shes 14 months and into everything which she proved when she was here on the first visit lol

I mean tbh i don't really go to the toilet alot during the day anyways but i just didn't really think about it before now lol

I don't have a travel cot in the bedroom cause i don't think its big enough but im am thinking that i might get one to put in my kitchen if it will fit lol

FizzysFriends
04-06-2009, 08:38 PM
What about a highchair with a toy? Or on the landing if you have a gate at the top of the stairs and the doors closed except the bathroom?

ExBlondie
04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah i am planning on having a stairgate at the top of the stairs and it is only a small landing area that leads to my bedroom which will be kept closed during the day unless the cat goes in there so i guess yeah i can take her up there if i need to go when shes there...... high chair is a good idea cause atleast then she is secure.

Daftbat
05-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Every child is diferent and if you have three under the age of 3 to care for it might be physically impossible to carry them all upstairs etc.

I have found over the years that you develop systems to cope. Some children are perfectly ok to leave with the lounge door open the stair gate on and the loo door open while you go. I have developed the art of weeing really quickly ( or so it seems). I don't take children upstairs with me unless i really think there may be a safety issue.

Tippy Toes
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I think it all depends of the age and stage of development but personally I would (if need be) put them somewhere secure such as in their high chair, in their pushchair or into a travel cot.

xx

ExBlondie
05-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you guys your advice was great i rang her back this morning and shes happy with what i said to the question which was basically the things you said put her in a high chair travel cot push chair etc so she has said that shes happy to go ahead needs to confirm hours with her employer and then going to come round to sign the contracts! :clapping: Shes my first client so im sooooooooooooooooo happy shame its only for 2 days a month but hey you have to start somewhere right? lol

Tippy Toes
06-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Congratulations on your first mindee! And like you said you have to start somewhere. It will hopefully get your name out there a bit more and people will 'see' that you are a childminder.

Best of luck x

Mummits
06-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Yes congratualtions on your first one. Make sure you take her out and about to toddler groups and so on, and have business cards handy for when you "casually" drop into conversation that you have a vacancy - I've had a few Mums say oh my friend/sister's looking for childcare, even if they're not looking themselves.

ExBlondie
06-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys :)

I always make sure i got business cards in my bag cause you never know when you might need em lol Im not totally sure what toddler groups are round here so think need to make a trip to the libary to see if there is any notices on there :)

Curly Quavers
06-06-2009, 10:19 AM
look on your local net mums for the toddler classes, a lot advertise on it.

ExBlondie
06-06-2009, 10:21 AM
ooo i forgot about that thank you!

westbrom44
06-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I would also be interested to know what parents do when they need to 'go'!

ExBlondie
06-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Well this particular family put her in the play pen when they need to leave the room to go to the toilet or chores etc. But i think when its your own children you take them to the toilet with you and stuff but you can't do that when they aint your own really lol