PDA

View Full Version : Participation Strategy Help!!!

emler
14-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I have had a brief look at the self assessment I have to submit as part of my inspection process this year.
One thing jumped out at me straight away! I must give evidence that parents participate in assessing & improving the quality of care & support provided in my setting.
An example of evidence they suggest we have is a Participation Strategy. I'm stumped - any ideas???

Emler x

Cheeky Chops
14-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Im really confused why do you have to do this??xxx

emler
14-02-2008, 05:37 PM
The Care Commission have kindly changed our Inspection Process this year so we have to complete a self assessment before our actual inspection. We have to complete various questions giving evidence of strengths and weaknesses in our settings. According to them a Participation Strategy is seen as positive evidence - only I don't have one :eek: I haven't even started it yet and its already confusing me lol

Emler x

crazybones
14-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Do you give parents a form to fill out evaluating you and your services? I got one from the Bromley site and it asks them on there if they would like you to include any other services or activities. I am presuming this counts. Mine all say NO anyway. but at least I can show I have asked.

Annie x

emler
14-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I do give parents questionnaires (and the kiddies as well). Also have daily diaries and newsletters. Not sure if this is what they are looking for!

Emler x

miffy
14-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds scary Leanne

I'm only guessing but do you think it could be like our "working in partnership" with parents bit?

I have a parents questionnaire that I've put together taking bits from ones on other sites plus a bit of my own pm me if you want a copy

Miffy xx

emler
14-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Miffy. I have a questionnaire which I give to parents to complete. I also encourage them to make comments in the daily diaries (they never do though!). I think you might be right about it being similar to your Partnership with Parents Policy.

Emler x

miffy
14-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I do give parents questionnaires (and the kiddies as well). Also have daily diaries and newsletters. Not sure if this is what they are looking for!

Emler x

That sounds good but maybe you need to also write down when you do these things as they say strategy - like how often you give out newsletters, are available to talk to parents etc

Hope that makes sense

Miffy xx

emler
14-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks Miffy - yes that makes sense. Oh its making my head spin already lol

Emler x

miffy
14-02-2008, 06:40 PM
When is your inspection due?

Miffy xx

emler
14-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Its April or May but we complete an Annual Return as well as a Self Assessment online now. I have done the Annual Return and submitted it (I got the easy one out of the way first) and I think we have another couple of weeks to submit the assessment. The joys!!!

Emler x

Fifi
14-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi Emler,
I have a form for parents to fill in. This provides the evidence...
and the form itself act as the participation Strategy you have in place in your setting. Let me know if you would like a copy

:)

Pipsqueak
14-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Sorry I am not going to be much help on this one but I reckon parents are going to get soooo sick of how much they have to sign, fill in etc etc... I know us poor childminders already are - think we should all employ a setting admin/manager type person to fill in all the rainforests, sorry paper we are generating!!

miffy
14-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Sorry I am not going to be much help on this one but I reckon parents are going to get soooo sick of how much they have to sign, fill in etc etc... I know us poor childminders already are - think we should all employ a setting admin/manager type person to fill in all the rainforests, sorry paper we are generating!!

I agree with that Vik - parents only fill in the paperwork to help me out they are not interested in it otherwise just whether I'm looking after their child well

Miffy xx

emler
14-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Exactly! I feel embarrassed now to keep going back to parents asking for signatures for this, that & the next thing. It seems my inspection is focusing on forms & paperwork rather than how I actually am with the kiddies grrr :angry:

Emler x

fionamal
14-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I phone the care commission about it and was told not to complete it yet. they will notify us when they want it done. Ive done the self assesment as its easy but did have alook at the other and didnt know where to start with it.

emler
14-02-2008, 07:06 PM
You can make a start on it now though Fiona - just don't forward it to them until they tell you to. I'm trying to get it done and out of the way so that when they ask for it I can have it ready and just hit "send".
It looks a bit daunting though - I'm not sure about all the strengths and weaknesses we have to come up with :eek:

Emler x

fionamal
14-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I was on it earlier tonight and really dont know where to start with it. Suppose I will work my way thought it and do the easy bits first so some of its done before they ask for it.

Teresa
14-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Sounds scary Leanne

I'm only guessing but do you think it could be like our "working in partnership" with parents bit?

I have a parents questionnaire that I've put together taking bits from ones on other sites plus a bit of my own pm me if you want a copy

Miffy xx

could i have a copy please miffy xx

sarah707
14-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I have read this with interest... I take it it's a Scottish initiative... just curious why Ofsted aren't doing it as well... unlike them to miss out on ways to make our lives more difficult.

I lay odds on something similar being implemented in the not-too-distant future :D

lindylou
14-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm glad ofsted are not doing this but as Sarah says they may well do so in the future
Linxx

deeb66
14-02-2008, 10:54 PM
It really wouldn't surprise me either

miffy
14-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I have read this with interest... I take it it's a Scottish initiative... just curious why Ofsted aren't doing it as well... unlike them to miss out on ways to make our lives more difficult.

I lay odds on something similar being implemented in the not-too-distant future :D

There will be a new self assessment form soon - it will be a lot more detailed than the present one and the plan is for as many childminders as possible to fill it in on line although there will be a paper version

Unfortunately I haven't seen a draft so don't know what's on it

Miffy xx