PDA

View Full Version : Changing your Numbers

katie0183
14-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Wanted to ask a completely silly question.

I am registered for 3 children, and the more i think about it and the more i see of other childminders im beginning to think ive been dooped. My pre reg inspector was a dragon and has a reputation around here for it. I cant think of any reasons why i'd only have 3 spaces when people with the same or less space than me have more. Is there any way i can get re-assessed for my numbers... i had an enquiry for a 9 month old today and am just waiting for someone else to get back to me (havent filled a space yet) but just wondered....

Answers would be most appreciated

KAte

Pipsqueak
14-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi Kate

You are reg#d for 3 children in total - do you have any children of your own that have been taken into account?

Normally you can have 3 under 5 (only of can be under 1yr though) and 3 between 5-8yrs - this includes your own children

Might be worth talking to OFSTED and pleading your case!!!

susi513
14-02-2008, 03:09 PM
The maximum you can be registered for (if you work alone) is up to 6 under eights. Of these 6 no more than 3 can be under 5. Of these 3 no more may be under one year. Any children of your own under the age of 8 will detract from the numbers you will be registered for. So if you have 3 children under 8 you should not be registered for more than 3 under 8s total.

The number can be further reduced as there is a minimum space that must be provided per child. So if you live in a small property or only use a couple of rooms for minding you might find you don't meet the space requirements to be registered for the full six under eights.

Some new childminders have been registered for less than the maximum possible. As I understand it, the idea is to give you a chance to get your bearings a bit and to avoid jumping in at the deep end so to speak.

Whatever the reason, your inspector should have explained why you have been registered for the number they've decided on. You could ring/email and ask them to explain.

HTH

tulip0803
14-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Wanted to ask a completely silly question.

I am registered for 3 children, and the more i think about it and the more i see of other childminders im beginning to think ive been dooped. My pre reg inspector was a dragon and has a reputation around here for it. I cant think of any reasons why i'd only have 3 spaces when people with the same or less space than me have more. Is there any way i can get re-assessed for my numbers... i had an enquiry for a 9 month old today and am just waiting for someone else to get back to me (havent filled a space yet) but just wondered....

Answers would be most appreciated

KAte

When I originally registered I was only allowed 3 minded children, plus my daughter. I was told that this was because I did not have a lot of experience and the inspector did not like to register new childminders for more than 3 children. The following year I requested and was given the other place.

From what I've heard on here it is down to each individual inspector and there seems to be no standard for anything across the country.

Juliaxx

katie0183
14-02-2008, 05:22 PM
so does this meani anreques more when i get my first inspection??

Rubybubbles
14-02-2008, 06:46 PM
so does this meani anreques more when i get my first inspection??

yes! When I first moved to England from Scotland, Ofsted reg me for 3 children (I also have 2 of my own!), once my certificate came through, I got it changed to 4:rolleyes: , not sure why, but can understand about experince thingy