PDA

View Full Version : Buildings and contents insurance

Straws
03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi all

I was wondering about my insurance, do i need to have business insurance for my buildings and contents, If so how much does it cost compared to normal home buildings and contents insurance?

Straws xx

julie w
03-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi I couldn't find anyone who would give me contents insurance when I said I was a childminder. However, in the 'Who minds' magazine I saw an advert for Layton Blackham Insurers and had a quote from them. I got a brilliant deal, which was actually cheaper than my previous insurance before I was childminding. I would definitely recommend them. They offer insurance specifically for childminders, so I imagine that is a business insurance of sorts.

The Juggler
03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Liverpool Victoria will offer cover.

rickysmiths
03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't touch The Homeminder or the Motor Minder Insurances personally.

There are lots of insurance companies who insure childminders homes and contents and cars without charging any more than you paid before minding.

I have been with Churchill for Buildings and contents for years and I use them for car insurance as well.

gigglinggoblin
03-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Do these companies give you accidental damge as well? Halifax have swapped us to business but we have lost all accidental damage - so if dh mucks up some diy we cant claim which seems a bit daft to me

rickysmiths
03-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Do these companies give you accidental damge as well? Halifax have swapped us to business but we have lost all accidental damage - so if dh mucks up some diy we cant claim which seems a bit daft to me

Churchill gives me Accidental Damage for me amd my family but not for Childminding.!!

In other words i can hold a drunken orgy with friends and family and smash all my crystal glasses and I'm covered but if a mindee breaks something I'm not :eek:

To be honest, I've been minding for 15yrs now and the odd things that have got damaged or broken I wouldn't have claimed on my insurance anyway. We can claim 10% of our income for wear and tear and I have not found it an issuse at all.

Daftbat
03-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I have my insurance with Layton Balckham - actually they are called something else now but can't remember what. I prefer to have the accidental damage in place. All the other companies i contacted either wouldn't do accidental damage or they wanted to charge through the roof. The insrance i have now for buildings and contents is actually cheaper than i was paying before i minded.

rickysmiths
03-06-2009, 11:05 PM
I have my insurance with Layton Balckham - actually they are called something else now but can't remember what. I prefer to have the accidental damage in place. All the other companies i contacted either wouldn't do accidental damage or they wanted to charge through the roof. The insrance i have now for buildings and contents is actually cheaper than i was paying before i minded.

I think they are Bluefin Penny.

Heaven Scent
04-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Persoally I am with Bluefin for Motor and household insurance as I don't believe in paying an enhanced premium for business cover if it doesn't cover me fully for my particular busniness - I found it was much of a muchness price wise anyway. My Public Liability is with MM - because you can use your own contracts wth them and still avail of their inlusive Legal Assistance.

gigglinggoblin
04-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Brill, ours is due for renewal at the end of the month so I will have a look at them. You can really charge 10% for wear and tear? Thats a fab tip! (still waiting for the managing your business course the council runs so am a bit clueless).