PDA

View Full Version : summer meals for fussy kids?? help???

mushpea
02-06-2009, 06:31 PM
well sorted on the picnic front thanks to your helpful suggestions now i thought i'd pick your brains for some summer meal ides but its fun cause i have one child who wont eat any kind of salad or rice or cold pasta and 2 children who wont eat any kind of salad the other 3 arent too bad with most things but i was after ideas that they would all eat and enjoy cause i dont like putting food out that they wont eat or enjoy as it seems a waste of time and money to me.
so any ideas please?

TheBTeam
02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Will they eat cold new potatoes, i had these today and both little ones ate them, with hot fresh cooked sausage rolls, tiny thin pieces of cucumber and apple slices.

How about diced chicken, apple, potato and cheese pieces with something like pitta bread or wraps.

Sounds strange but i got my kids to eat cold pasta by starting out with tomatoey sauces and serving it colder each time, so eventually they think it should be cold, not straight from fridge but room temperature works well.

Once they eat it cold you can then put in mayonnaise type dressings and sometimes if it has corn/peas/pasta and maybe tuna in it that they can pick out too and the past is in very small pieces, that don't need to be bitten can help.

Cold pizza is quite good too and you can hide veg and stuff on that 'in the name of pizza!'

Perhaps if they will eat the potatoes with corn/peas/tuna then you can swap the potatoes for pasta and the change will not be so obvious.

sarah707
02-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I made a fresh chicken, tomato and herb mixture today ... popped it in the oven for an hour while we were playing.

I served it with rice and some fresh carrots and peas - it was lovely :D

TheBTeam
02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
What time is lunch tomorrow?:laughing: :laughing: sounds like what i would have liked for family dinner, let alone mindee lunch!

mushpea
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;438086]Will they eat cold new potatoes, i had these today and both little ones ate them, with hot fresh cooked sausage rolls, tiny thin pieces of cucumber and apple slices.

How about diced chicken, apple, potato and cheese pieces with something like pitta bread or wraps.

Sounds strange but i got my kids to eat cold pasta by starting out with tomatoey sauces and serving it colder each time, so eventually they think it should be cold, not straight from fridge but room temperature works well.

Once they eat it cold you can then put in mayonnaise type dressings and sometimes if it has corn/peas/pasta and maybe tuna in it that they can pick out too and the past is in very small pieces, that don't need to be bitten can help.

like the diced chicken etc idea and the new potatos one cause they will eat potatos but the child that wont eat cold pasta also wont eat any kind of sauce not even ketcup!! or tuna , he will only eat one kind of sauce on his pasta made by hompride, he is my child and he is fussy but he is having a sensory assesment next month regards to special needs
also like the cold pizza idea as we take this on picnics somtimes .

TheBTeam
02-06-2009, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=TheBTeam;438086]Will they eat cold new potatoes, i had these today and both little ones ate them, with hot fresh cooked sausage rolls, tiny thin pieces of cucumber and apple slices.

like the diced chicken etc idea and the new potatos one cause they will eat potatos but the child that wont eat cold pasta also wont eat any kind of sauce not even ketcup!! or tuna , he will only eat one kind of sauce on his pasta made by hompride, he is my child and he is fussy but he is having a sensory assesment next month regards to special needs
also like the cold pizza idea as we take this on picnics somtimes .

Don't you just love kids who will only eat one specific type of something, i am having this issue with bread and my 10 year old son, he likes one particular kind of granary and he has only just decided this and let us know, trouble now is no one can remember exactly what one it was!!:angry:

Chatterbox Childcare
02-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I would pack a normal packed lunch and offer it to them and if they don't eat, they will later. I would incorporate some food that they liked.

Toothfairy
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
What about........

Quiche and new potatoes
Macaronni cheese
Chicken wraps
Pizza
Vegtable bake
Jacket potatoes

I will come back if I can think of any more....:thumbsup: